Toll tags and RVs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cadee2c

Does anyone know if the TX tag, EZ tag, and Ktag are ok to use on RVs? I checked on the TXtag site but couldn't find anything specific to RVs.

It should be fine.  The toll booths count axles...well, they have cameras that count the axles.  I asked about this when pulling my trailer(s), and they said the tag goes on the primary vehicle, and when it goes through the toll booth (or over whatever they have...some are overhead sensors/cameras now), the camera will count the axles and charge appropriately.    Plus, when you add a vehicle to your account, you specify what type it is.  One of the selections is "Bus".  Which I suppose equates to a Class A vehicle.  They also have "Trailer" as a selection, but I was told I did not need one for my TT or 5th wheel.  Or other trailers I towed (I have a utility trailer).  The camera would take care of the additional axles.

Hope this overly long answer helps you.

Some of them will automatically identify the tag of the tow vehicle and then also read axles, some plazas don't. I got a letter in the mail from the Houston system using the trailer license plate wanting the fee, even though it charged me for the truck (regular rate) which had a tag.

I called them, I got issued a tag for the trailer, which they said I didn't have to put on, just put it in the trailer. It now links to the license plate as a two-axle trailer.

Happened again with a 1-axle utility trailer, so I got a tag for it, too.

So, I now have 5 tags - truck, car, motorcycle, toy hauler, and utility trailer.

At least in Illinois, where we live, RVs are fine.  You just add it to your account when you get the tag, including your license plate.  IIRC, you select RV when you do this. 

I can point out one important thing - with the cabover bunk in our class C, mounting the transponder on the windshield behind the mirror (standard mounting location) sometimes blocks the signal, which really, really stinks at toll plazas with gates!  I now have it stuck to the center of the dash, right against the windshield, and it's been working consistently fine.

never had to pay more than $0.25 or $0.50 into the bucket.... will these toll booths take checks or ccards if the amount is big?  wouldn't get much use from ezpass until we retire in couple years, so I don't know if there is an annual fee or not.

_Rusty_ said:
never had to pay more than $0.25 or $0.50 into the bucket.... will these toll booths take checks or ccards if the amount is big?  wouldn't get much use from ezpass until we retire in couple years, so I don't know if there is an annual fee or not.

I don't know of any toll booths that accept anything but cash or EZPass, but I've certainly not hit them all.

It's called "IPass" in Illinois, and is compatible with all EZPass lanes.  There's no annual fee.  You pay around $50 for the transponder, and I think $40 or so of that goes into your account for toll use.  You can, and I do, set it up to automatically replenish by charging the credit card associated with the account when the account balances goes beneath, say, $10.  You can also opt out of auto-replenish and do it manually.  At least in IL, there is a blue and an amber light at each toll booth.  Blue means "you're good", and amber means "balance low", so you know when it's time to replenish.

AFAIK, neither IPass nor EZPass works with SunPass in FL or whatever the system in TX is called. 

_Rusty_ said:

The easiest thing to do, at least in Texas, is get the TX Tag.  The tag itself costs nothing, and they'll mail it to you.  All you have to do is open an account with some money in it.  It's even easier to link it to a card or bank account.  Then when it hits a certain level, it will automatically fill the till, so to speak (to your designated amount...I did $35.00 fill, $10.00 threshhold).  If you don't use it, it just sits there.  It will sit there until you either use it, or close the account (then they will refund it).  Since I have 60 percent Disabled Vet rating, almost all the tolls in Texas are no charge for me.  My account has been at $34.00 for two or three years now.  If you don't use it often, no worries.  It'll be there when you do.

Just FYI. North Carolina's Quick Pass works with Florida's Sun Pass and EZ Pass. Don't know about what Texas system  accepts.  I heard (read) that all states' toll systems are supposed to be interoperable sometime in the future.  I don't know when that is.

Has anybody heard of making all toll passes accepted nationally?  What a concept.  Montana doesn't have them (one of our blessings!) but we travel to SF Bay area on business with enough frequency that I have one for there (Fastrak) that I carry in the Coach. Sure would be great to have it work going through Denver and so on.

There was talk of a nation-wide EZ Pass system, but it has yet to happen.

Indiana accepts credit cards, at least they did last time I was out there.

In the Houston area an EZ Tag is required for the MH and the toad.  They are separate tags, both must be purchased.  The one for Class C comes with instructions to place it in the lower part of the windshield close to the middle of it.  You are charged $40 for initial deposit and a monthly report is sent to you by email.  This is what I have.  In IL, we use an I-Pass for all vehicles.  You also need a credit card on file.

RVRAC said:
In the Houston area an EZ Tag is required for the MH and the toad.  They are separate tags, both must be purchased.  The one for Class C comes with instructions to place it in the lower part of the windshield close to the middle of it.  You are charged $40 for initial deposit and a monthly report is sent to you by email.  This is what I have.  In IL, we use an I-Pass for all vehicles.  You also need a credit card on file.

This is why I went with the TX Tag.  They don't charge for the tag.  I have not had to get a separate tag for my trailers yet (I pull a 5th wheel and a utility trailer).  As I said above, the cameras count the axles and charge appropriately.  At least this is the way it's worked for me since I've been here.

FunSteak said:
It's called "IPass" in Illinois, and is compatible with all EZPass lanes.  There's no annual fee.  You pay around $50 for the transponder, and I think $40 or so of that goes into your account for toll use.

The other major advantage in Illinois is that with the I-Pass, the tolls are half price (compared to pulling over and paying cash/coin).  That's more than worth the $10 net cost of the transponder.  With some Chicago area tolls nearing the $5 range now, the savings add up fast.  And we only use ours a couple times per year.  I just set the transponder on the dash when we are nearing a toll and it works fine.  Otherwise it stays in the center console in its anti-static bag (or whatever that thing is).  Every so often, I log in online and check my balance to make sure there is enough for our next trip.

When we had our motorhome, I'd occasionally get lucky and only get charged the car rate.  But the systems now are usually smart enough to catch the extra axles and/or larger vehicle and charge accordingly.

scottydl said:
The other major advantage in Illinois is that with the I-Pass, the tolls are half price (compared to pulling over and paying cash/coin).  That's more than worth the $10 net cost of the transponder.  With some Chicago area tolls nearing the $5 range now, the savings add up fast.  And we only use ours a couple times per year.  I just set the transponder on the dash when we are nearing a toll and it works fine.  Otherwise it stays in the center console in its anti-static bag (or whatever that thing is).  Every so often, I log in online and check my balance to make sure there is enough for our next trip.

When we had our motorhome, I'd occasionally get lucky and only get charged the car rate.  But the systems now are usually smart enough to catch the extra axles and/or larger vehicle and charge accordingly.

IPass rate being 1/2 off the cash price (in Illinois) is a great point that I neglected to mention.  If you spend any time on the Chicagoland expressways, this adds up to real savings!

Remember you can set up your account to automatically replenish from your card when it reaches a certain threshold (that you can adjust).  It eliminates needing to check the account for sufficient balance.  Only issue I've had is neglecting to update my card info when it expired, causing me to be briefly trapped in a gated plaza on the OH turnpike...  Whoops!  :-[

The NY State Thruway has an E-ZPass "Motorhome Plan" that only charges us regular car rates per axle instead of the higher "tall vehicle" rates the large trucks and buses pay. We did have to register with a copy of our registration to get a transponder coded for the plan. There's also a discount plan for 5'vers.

Oldgator73 said:
Speaking of tolls. Just saw a receipt for a toll crossing the GW bridge, NJ for a MH....$84.00.

Last year I got banged 68 dollars to cross the GWB, and that was with the blue "rv discount" transponder.  This is out of control.  I have to allot a couple hundred extra for every RV trip off the Island.

Back
Top Bottom