Hot water heater drain

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stepbill

Was wondering if anyone has hooked up a small hose with a shut off valve to the drain port of the hot water heater so the water does not drain all over the place. If so, what size adapter did you use to connect the hose to the drain port?

stepbill said:
Was wondering if anyone has hooked up a small hose with a shut off valve to the drain port of the hot water heater so the water does not drain all over the place. If so, what size adapter did you use to connect the hose to the drain port?

Need to know what the brand name is.  If it's an Atwood, it's a 1/2" tapered pipe thread. No one usually adds a hose. Just pull the drain plug then open the pressure/temperature valve to vent the tank so it drains fast. Do this when the water has cooled a bit.  Whatever water gets on the lip of the heater won't hurt a thing. 

Not only what Rene says, but if it is Electric or electric along with gas, you would defeat the purpose of the sacrificial anode that is built onto the plug.

Jack L

Electric or gas doesn't denote a water heater having an anode. Suburbans have them, Atwoods don't. It due to the material the tank is made of.

You are correct to be concerned about directing water from the water heater drain.  When the plug is removed to drain the water heater there is little control where the water goes.  Take a look at where water might get into the wall, or anywhere it could cause damage, and caulk if it wasn't done completely or correctly.

lynnmor said:
When the plug is removed to drain the water heater there is little control where the water goes.

Seeing that the drain plug is at the very bottom of the heater, when it's removed, the water initially just dribbles out and runs over the sheet metal portion of the heater then over the side of the RV not hurting anything. When you open the pressure relief valve, water shoots out in a steady stream and misses the bottom of the heater.  Everything is sealed to prevent water from getting inside the wall.

stepbill said:

Yes. Yes and NO

FIrst different strokes for different heaters.
Many SUburban heaters and at least one older Atwood need an anode rod this rod is attached to the drain plug .  NOT using a proper anode will greatly shorten heater life.

Page 2: The rest of the water heaters DO NOT use an Anode and do use a PLASTIC (Nylon) drain plug.. Using a metal pipe nipple or hose adapter will damage these water heaters or so I'm told. I had a metal valve in mine for a time. Not sure if that hastened it's demise but I had to put a new tank in last year (12 years. not complaining)

The new tank I put in a CPVC adapter (CPVC to Brass 1/2 inch both ends) and a valve.. I can screw a pipe nipple into the valve outlet when I need it (Finger tight is good) and shoot water 4" past the body before it exits the pipe.

Others have used a 1/2" adapter (use 1/2 in or 3/4" hose) and put a valve at the end of the hose.. I did not

Using a valve arrangement on a Suburban heater may result in it not flushing properly. The anode used on Suburban heaters often causes little bits of hard material that must be flushed out regularly. Using a valve reduces the size of the drain and flushing using a flushing wand is not possible without removing the valve first. Kinda defeats the purpose and precludes use of the anode that is part and parcel of the drain drain plug itself.

I went out an looked and it is an Atwood heater.  There is only the drain plug, no rod.  The plug is currently not in, just sitting to the side.  Is this normal for when winterized?  We have not used the camper, yet.  It is a new "used" purchase.

Yep, normal, at least for me. Once I pull the plug to flush the heater, and winterize to rest of the RV, I see no need to put it back in until warm weather.

stepbill said:
I went out an looked and it is an Atwood heater.  There is only the drain plug, no rod.

You won't see a rod because you have an Atwood. If you had a Suburban, tar rod would be located on the end of the drain plug and it would go inside the tank when you installed the plug.

kdbgoat said:
Yep, normal, at least for me. Once I pull the plug to flush the heater, and winterize to rest of the RV, I see no need to put it back in until warm weather.

I use to do the same thing.  Now I just go south. Haven't had to winterize for some time now.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom