Internet Service

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BradyB

Hi All,

I recently camped three months in an RV park in Florida.  Spectrum placed a cable modem in my motorhome, and I had great internet connectivity.

I'd like to do this again next winter. I'm not yet retired, and need a fast internet connection for work.

Is there a way to get a list of RV parks serviced by the local cable company?  I need to plan my trip based upon internet availability.

I've been camping for years and find that the internet service provided by the park is normally unusable. I need to connect directly to the cable company.

Thanks for your input.

Brady

You may want to consider the AT&T Connected Car plan, assuming you're typically in areas served by AT&T cellular. I am currently in a spot in southern AZ using this, and although the reception isn't great I just speedtested it at 5mbps up and down.

Getting blazing fast Internet from RV parks is iffy at best. Most of them suck. You should consider getting a better plan so you don't have to rely on campground wifi.

Spectrum serves the Bushnell, Florida area, lots of RV parks around there. It's where I am spending the winter and probably the summer.

Maybe find out where Spectrum services and then find camps around there.

Best bet is find the RV park you want to stay at and ask the office if they know who provides internet in that area, then call the company and see if you can get a 90 day hookup or whatever.

I use Spectrum in Bushnell, no contract $49 a month for wifi modem. I use their modem rather than mine. Well, I don't own a modem at this point, at the time it just seemed easier to use theirs.

THere is a way but it may be a LOT of work.. .You can find each park, map it then go to the assorted ISP web sites and find out where their lines run and where they offer service, For example the park I am in now (Carolina Landing, Fairplay SC) has a high speed cable (Do not know how high) running down the road it shares a line fence with. and a very handy power pole at the emergency exit gate.
I'm thinking of talking to the park management next year and putting a modem on the light pole with Wi-Fi.. and a PSK of course.

Sun2Retire said:
You may want to consider the AT&T Connected Car plan, assuming you're typically in areas served by AT&T cellular. I am currently in a spot in southern AZ using this, and although the reception isn't great I just speedtested it at 5mbps up and down.

The $20 unlimited Connected Car plan that was previously offered for the AT&T Mobley hotspot is no longer available. Those of us that have it can only hope that AT&T will continue to grandfather us in for a long time to come.

NY_Dutch said:
The $20 unlimited Connected Car plan that was previously offered for the AT&T Mobley hotspot is no longer available.

I'm also grandfathered, and that's what I'd heard as well. However when I checked the AT&T site they're advertising $20/mo

Sun2Retire said:
I'm also grandfathered, and that's what I'd heard as well. However when I checked the AT&T site they're advertising $20/mo

The $20 unlimited plan is only available for cars with built-in "OnStar" type systems. The Mobley hotspot is not eligible. The plans currently offered for the Mobley are 5GB for $25 or 1GB for $10.

https://www.att.com/shop/wireless/plans/planconfigurator.html

NY_Dutch said:
The $20 unlimited plan is only available for cars with built-in "OnStar" type systems. The Mobley hotspot is not eligible. The plans currently offered for the Mobley are 5GB for $25 or 1GB for $10.

Ahhhhh Ok, well I stand corrected. I kinda wondered why all the auto manufactuer's logos were on the Connected Car page.

And I too hope the grandfathering goes for a long time.

We bought a Verison hotspot. We got 10 gb for two months for 100 dollars. If you are willing to buy the two year plan, you can get unlimited data on that plan for around 45 dollars a month. We didnt need or want a plan, so the pay as you go was the best we could get. We have travelled all over the USA this winter, and the hotspot worked great. I can upload videos to youtube, and we have facetimed on it. So far no complaints other than we couldnt get unlimited data on any pay as you go plan. We were at one campground near Phoenix who had an outside company supplying the wifi for extra money. You could get monthly plans and I believe they stated 5mbs was their speed.

NY_Dutch said:

So get a toad or tow vehicle with the OnStar hotspot, sign up for the $20 a month Unlimited plan and park it next to the RV.  It'll pay for itself in a couple of years, right?  :eek:

Lou Schneider said:
So get a toad or tow vehicle with the OnStar hotspot, sign up for the $20 a month Unlimited plan and park it next to the RV.  It'll pay for itself in a couple of years, right?  :eek:

Now that?s thinking outside the box!

Hi All,

Thanks for all the feedback.

Is there a way to get a listing of all RV parks serviced by Spectrum cable?

Brady

BradyB said:
Hi All,

Thanks for all the feedback.

Is there a way to get a listing of all RV parks serviced by Spectrum cable?

Brady

Highly doubtful such a listing exists, and really irrelevant since parks serviced by Comcast, Cox, and other cable companies may also supply individual site service drops with the park's permission.

Lou Schneider said:

Not unless you figure out a way to hotwire the OnStar system to keep it active. Or leave the vehicle running...  ;)

NY_Dutch said:
Not unless you figure out a way to hotwire the OnStar system to keep it active. Or leave the vehicle running...  ;)

Should be easy enough, assuming OnStar goes inactive when the ignition is turned off.  If it does, just jumper the fuseblock so the OnStar circuit is fed from an always on source.

Lou Schneider said:
Should be easy enough, assuming OnStar goes inactive when the ignition is turned off.  If it does, just jumper the fuseblock so the OnStar circuit is fed from an always on source.

Does OnStar shut itself down after some period of inactivity? I know nothing about how it's configured. I'm sure there's a way to accomplish what you suggest, but I'm not sure buying a Cadillac XTS just to get a $20 unlimited data plan is a good value... ;D

NY_Dutch said:
Would you have bought it only to get the $20 unlimited data plan? ???
Of course not Dutch. That would be dumb.
I didn't even know this plan existed. I learn on this site everyday!
I'll check it out with onstar and report back. I'm currently on vacation. Retirement is a full time job as most of you know so I'm a little busy. Maybe tomorrow, maybe not.
Peace! 8)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom