rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Fridge Defend
RV Life Magazine RV Park Reviews RV Trip Wizard

Author Topic: Noise in driveshaft and/or u joints  (Read 1344 times)

cgmartin

• ---
Noise in driveshaft and/or u joints
« on: February 26, 2018, 06:20:58 PM »
I have a 2008 Class C Tioga 31M. In the last few months, a noise has developed somewhere near the rear end. I have suspected it may be the driveshaft or u joints. I got underneath the motorhome and they seemed fine, and there was no movement in the driveshaft, either clockwise, or counter clock wise. I am not a mechanic, so it was not an actual inspection. This is a crackling kind of noise and only happens at very, very low speeds, like at 5 mph. I had my wife stand toward the rear of the motorhome, and she told me it was coming from somewhere near the middle, which is where one of the u joints is. It is a two piece driveshaft. Does anyone with a Ford Class C, particularly a Tioga 31M, experience such a noise and can shed some light as to what is causing it? I mentioned this noise to a mechanic and he did not think it was the driveshaft or u joints. So now, what?

lynnmor

• ---
Re: Noise in driveshaft and/or u joints
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2018, 06:34:46 PM »
If it has a center carrier bearing, it might be toast.

TonyDtorch

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2018, 07:26:07 PM »
I saw a guy on Utube that found an odd undercarrage issue by duct taping his phone under the vehicle and observing everything as it was going down the road.

I absolutely love the 'University of Utube'... :D
« Last Edit: February 26, 2018, 07:54:05 PM by TonyDtorch »

Rene T

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • Every day is payday and every payday I have off
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2018, 08:10:41 PM »
With the tires sitting on the ground, chances are you wouldn't see any movement in the joints. You probably would have to jack the entire rear end off the ground then check them.
Rene, Lucille & co-pilot Buddy
AKA  Pep N Mem
2011 Chevy Duramax 2500 HD 4X4
2011 Montana High Country 343RL
From the Granite State of NH
& Florida Snowbird in Lakeland FL

spencerpj

• ---
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2018, 06:35:44 AM »
You do't happen to have grease fittings in the carrier bearing do you?

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2018, 09:20:02 AM »
I'm having a tough time imagining a "crackling kind of noise" from a U-joint or carrier.  Or that it goes away as speed increases. I think you need to be looking for other possible causes.
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

kdbgoat

• ---
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2018, 09:45:05 AM »
Not wheel covers making noise is it?
I know you believe you understand what you think I said,
But I am not sure you realize what you heard is not what I meant

2016 Leprechaun 319DS

_Rusty_

• ---
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2018, 01:36:12 PM »
.... I had my wife stand toward the rear of the motorhome, and she told me it was coming from somewhere near the middle,.... So now, what?

I saw a guy on Utube that found an odd undercarrage issue by duct taping his phone under the vehicle ...

I don't suppose duct taping the loved one under there to identify the issue is a choice..  ;)

Sounds like bearings loosely moving about at low speed then settling in at higher RPM.
bill & ilean
2004 Tiffen Allegro Bay 37db
Workhorse 8.1/Allison 1000
Near Punxsutawney, PA
(for now)

Molaker

• ---
  • We don't camp. We tour.
    • Pumpkin and Us
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2018, 02:15:26 PM »
Not wheel covers making noise is it?
I agree with this possibility (assuming you have wheel covers).  Bits of gravel or debris trapped inside can tumble and make "cracking" noise when turning slowly, but centrifugal force soon stops the tumbling as speed picks up.
Tom & Joyce and Ditto the "don't tell her she's a dog" Westie
U.S. Navy (Ret)
2014 Winnebago ERA 70X 24' class B Sprinter chassis

cgmartin

• ---
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2018, 08:37:48 PM »
Not the wheel covers. No gravel. The motorhome is totally empty. This sound is just in front of the rear axles, and is not the type of clunking sound like some transmissions make when you come to a stop, and it is not a vibration, but the sound of two metal parts clunking together. The noise appear to go away after I have driven the motorhome a while, like after it warms up. I will be attaching a Go Pro camera to capture images where the u joints are. I also don't think my wife will want to be taped to the under carriage to hold it. The drive shaft and joints are the only moving parts that can be making the sounds my wife and I hear, plus it is smack in the middle of the motorhome, right about where the drive shaft is located. About a year and a half ago, my motorhome broke down and the tow truck driver had to unhook the drive shaft to tow it. Any possibility he did not tighten everything back up?

jubileee

• ---
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2018, 11:55:08 PM »
Have you considered jacking up one rear wheel and then using all safety precautions ( Jack stand, chock wheels, and ect) put it neutral, slide under and turn driveshaft by hand?

kdbgoat

• ---
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2018, 06:00:36 AM »
I have found in the past, a u-joint going bad can be very hard to detect when the driveshaft is on the vehicle. If you are suspecting the u-joints or carrier bearing, I recommend you pull the driveshaft, or take it to a shop and have them pull and inspect.

2016 Leprechaun 319DS

Rene T

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • Every day is payday and every payday I have off
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2018, 07:51:34 AM »
Have you considered jacking up one rear wheel and then using all safety precautions ( Jack stand, chock wheels, and ect) put it neutral, slide under and turn driveshaft by hand?

Must be an echoe in here.  :o ::) ;D
Rene, Lucille & co-pilot Buddy
AKA  Pep N Mem
2011 Chevy Duramax 2500 HD 4X4
2011 Montana High Country 343RL
From the Granite State of NH
& Florida Snowbird in Lakeland FL

jubileee

• ---
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2018, 10:40:04 AM »
Must be an echoe in here.  :o ::) ;D
Whoops! Donít know how I missed that.

kdbgoat

• ---
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2018, 10:48:59 AM »
Whoops! Donít know how I missed that.

It's because nobody pays any attention to Rene! ;D Rene, you know I'm kiddin'

2016 Leprechaun 319DS

rls7201

« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2018, 03:08:14 PM »
Old dry "U" joints can make a crackling kind of noise. They sometimes get tight from the rust and just shaking them will not show the problem. The drive shaft will need to be removed and the "U" joints exercised to see if they are OK. That would also be a good time to check the carrier bearing.

Richard

TonyDtorch

« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2018, 07:33:41 PM »
 Almost every two piece driveshaft has a Slip-joint that is supposed to be cleaned and lubed periodically.  They can make a snapping sound when they get all rusty sticky.

cgmartin

• ---
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2018, 08:39:37 PM »
Thanks. I think I will be taking it to a nearby auto shop that has a heavy duty lift which was previously used to lift my motorhome. They also work on motorhomes, so I will be asking him to take another close look at those items mentioned by you guys. With one foot in the grave and another on a banana peel, I think I would rather pay someone to do it instead of doing it myself and dislocating my shoulder like I did a couple of months ago. Well, maybe my condition is not all that bad, but sometimes when I sneeze, something else breaks. Thanks to all.

TonyDtorch

« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2018, 11:25:02 PM »
As an old mechanic,  I too would rather just pay a younger mechanic (kid) to fix all my stuff,  I could even offer to be there for technical assistance/moral support too. 

However as a former shop owner,   I would never allow that to happen.

so I was thinking....what about duct taping a phone to his forehead....  :))
« Last Edit: February 28, 2018, 11:55:17 PM by TonyDtorch »

Old_Crow

• ---
  • Former Phantom Fixer
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2018, 03:50:47 PM »
As an old mechanic,  I too would rather just pay a younger mechanic (kid) to fix all my stuff,  I could even offer to be there for technical assistance/moral support too. 

However as a former shop owner,   I would never allow that to happen.

so I was thinking....what about duct taping a phone to his forehead....  :))

As both an old mechanic and a former shop owner, I want to know how you get the young kid to listen.  I hated it when one of my old guys quit and I had to find someone to replace him.
Wally Crow
Retired 30 year ASE Master Auto Tech
Y2K Bounder 36S F53
'03 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

TonyDtorch

« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2018, 04:33:23 PM »
When it comes to hiring a mechanic. One out of every 10 is actually is a mechanic....and not a computer guided parts replacer.  >:(.

I also paid my best guys good enough that they werenít looking for another job. The problem usually a great mechanic always ended up trying to open his own shop.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2018, 04:37:56 PM by TonyDtorch »

Old_Crow

• ---
  • Former Phantom Fixer
« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2018, 12:21:04 PM »
I used to refer to my shop as "old guys building new old cars".  When my guys quit it was usually to sit on the porch or go RVing.

All the young kids in our area that I tried were into "tuners", not classics, and our small shop couldn't afford someone in his prime.  We got the guys who were too old and slow to do flat rate anymore.  Still, those guys had a lot of experience and did outstanding work until they just wore out.

Back on topic, I saw someone mention the slip yoke in the drive shaft, but did anyone mention the actual carrier bearing for making noise?
Wally Crow
Y2K Bounder 36S F53
'03 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

lynnmor

• ---
« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2018, 07:20:49 PM »
Back on topic, I saw someone mention the slip yoke in the drive shaft, but did anyone mention the actual carrier bearing for making noise?
See reply #1

Old_Crow

• ---
  • Former Phantom Fixer
« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2018, 07:52:28 AM »
Wally Crow
Y2K Bounder 36S F53
'03 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

cgmartin

• ---
« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2018, 07:45:40 PM »
I will be taking my motorhome to the shop this Wednesday, but now, after doing some research, I think the problem might actually be the leaf springs. I saw several videos on You Tube of leaf springs making the exact same noise. The noise happens when the leaf springs shift to the side, mostly when making turns. I am even more convinced now that the culprit is one or more leaf springs. but we'll see.

kdbgoat

• ---
« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2018, 07:52:28 PM »
If the rear is shifting around that much, you may want to consider one of these:

https://supersteerparts.com/product/trucks-vans-suv/ford
Sorry, but the link didn't go where it was supposed to. It is supposed to go to a rear track bar for an E450
« Last Edit: March 04, 2018, 07:54:36 PM by kdbgoat »

2016 Leprechaun 319DS

CharlesinGA

• ---
« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2018, 08:29:48 PM »
Also have the shop check the torque on the leaf spring to axle tube U bolts. Sprinters are noted for working loose and they have a mandatory retorque requirement. Its quite possible for them to allow some movement. Lots of stuff to make noises under a vehicle.

Charles
2007 Winnebago View 523H, 2006 Dodge (Daimler-Chrysler aka Mercedes) Sprinter 3500 chassis. Bought Sept 2015 with 18K miles, Prog Ind HW30C, Prog Dynamics PD4645, Chill Grille, Fanstatic Fan Ultrabreeze, PML/Yourcovers.com deep alum trans pan, Roadmaster sway bar