Caterpiller computer display are all zeroes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tom Fisher

Hello everyone, I am having a bad week trying to find the above problem.
I have an Allison world transmission (I believe a 3000 series) on a Magnum chassis with a Catapiller engine assembled by Safari in 1996.
I turn the key and the computer display lights up and I [browse] to the water temperature and it reads zero, as does all the numbers, no matter what I select.
I seem to have power to the computer but no data from the transmission/engine?
Last week I poked at relays and after a period of time I looked at the computer and the water temperature was not zero but a number (equal to the ambient temperature).  I hit the starter and it started just fine, let it run for 10 minutes and shut it off.
A day later and I have the same issue.
I have been doing a lot of reading and don't know the location of various things like ECU, TCM, ignition relay.
Can anyone help?
Tom

You refer to the display as being a "Caterpillar" product.  In fact, it is more likely to be a Silverleaf display.  If so the company still exists and might be able to provide some assistance: http://www.silverleafelectronics.com/

Thanks I had no idea, I have not seen an image of the display unit anywhere, and now not on Silverleaf but I will call them tomorrow, thanks.

Just to add, the display is working but none of the signals seem to be making it to the display (they all show 0), it must be a common power or ground issue because it is intermittent in that the issue resolved itself after I poked around but then resumed the same symptoms.

Tom Fisher said:
Thanks I had no idea, I have not seen an image of the display unit anywhere, and now not on Silverleaf but I will call them tomorrow, thanks.

Silverleaf's current product is a well-respected pc-based engine monitoring program.  I'm not sure if they make these stand-alone devices any longer.  But they did upgrade the software on mine ~5 years ago.  I really like having mine working, I have it set to continuously display engine and transmission temperatures, rpm, boost pressure, etc.

Mine is so old (1996) it only displays one sensor at a time.  You can [Browse] to any sensor or let it [Scan] on it's own through all the sensors.  Thanks for your input I will try Silverleaf today.

Well I just spoke to Control Resources and they say they do /did not make anything for Safari motor coaches.
They said they do make replacement units for trucks.  I don't need the display just the wiring diagram.
I also tried a company called Braas suggested by Control resources.
So the coach still sits in my driveway unable to start probably because of a bad ground somewhere.

docj said:
You refer to the display as being a "Caterpillar" product.  In fact, it is more likely to be a Silverleaf display.  If so the company still exists and might be able to provide some assistance: http://www.silverleafelectronics.com/

I think Caterpillar used to have an accessory that was similar to a Silverleaf unit.

I had a '99 Safari with a CAT engine and if I remember there was a pamphlet with all the other books that came with coach that advertised the accessory. I never bought one. I got the Silverleaf PC instead.

Cat has partnered with many different companies to produce Cat-branded electronics, so guessing at the actual manufacturer is likely to be fruitless. Have you contacted Cat to ask them about it? They pride themselves on having service for every Cat product ever made. They could probably identify the original maker if it is in fact a Cat-branded item.

Are you sure it is a Cat item and not a Magnum chassis feature? Safari owned the Magnum chassis brand back then and produced it themselves. Is it a one or two line display with a button or two to scroll or reset items?  That was pretty typical of chassis dash boards back in the day.  Is there any identifier on the display?

Found it! a bad ground of the many grounds attached to one of the chassis batteries, thanks for your efforts.
Tom

Back
Top Bottom