R factor on a micro winnie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
They really like to keep that stuff a secret. The R value is basically worthless in an RV. It is not the walls that are the problem. It is all the windows, doors, vents and protrusions that let in most of the cold or heat.

Realistically, the walls will probably be about 7, ceiling probably about 9 to 11, and the floor might be about 13. Either way, in cold weather you'll burn a lot of propane to heat it, and run the A/C to max to keep it cool in the summer.

What those guys said.

Product designers/engineers have to balance a bunch of factors when designing an RV - weight, cost of production, usability, safety, etc., etc. There were/are specialty RVs designed for cold climates. The now defunct Travel Supreme would build to a customer's R-value specifications. They were super insulated.

John Canfield said:
What those guys said.

Product designers/engineers have to balance a bunch of factors when designing an RV - weight, cost of production, usability, safety, etc., etc. There were/are specialty RVs designed for cold climates. The now defunct Travel Supreme would build to a customer's R-value specifications. They were super insulated.
So that is why my Travel Supreme is so comfortable.

Was on a tour at the GNR and the guide said the walls were rated a 3 . Have to get really thick foam sidewalls to get any more .This was a class A coach .

SeilerBird said:
So that is why my Travel Supreme is so comfortable.

Doesn't hurt that you live somewhere where it's 78 during the day and 74 at night  ;) ;D

Sun2Retire said:
Doesn't hurt that you live somewhere where it's 78 during the day and 74 at night  ;) ;D
Oh come on now. It was 40 degrees outside when I got up this morning. Some days it gets up into the 80s ;D

We toured the old Travel Supreme factory when we were in Elkhart and I was really impressed with their insulation however I think they were using wood studs for the interior walls which I imagine would add more weight than a wall 'sandwich'. I think there's some Canadian manufactured towables specifically built for cold climates.

Here's an extensive chart listing the 'R' values for various building materials. It can be helpful when calculating the approximate values of your RV walls and windows.

http://www.coloradoenergy.org/procorner/stuff/r-values.htm

It's ironic when folks look for the smallest, cheapest, RV possible , then want it filled with insulation (to fulltime in it) , then have no room for living in it.>>>Dan

Back
Top Bottom