Ladders

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bouch70

The used motorhome we purchased does not have a ladder to access the roof. We were thinking of buying one and have it installed but then I read in two places that those without ladders may not have the structure to sustain weight on the roof or even sides. What do you all think? We have a 2008 Gulf Stream Conquest.

An alternative is to buy a telescoping ladder, which and be used other places too.  My coach has a built in ladder, and I also carry a telescoping ladder for front windshield access, etc. (I have a slope nose coach so access to the top of the windshield is difficult.  The ladder I own is an Xtend and Climb 785P https://smile.amazon.com/Xtend-Climb-785P-Telescoping-Professional/dp/B000JIL4Z8  well worth the price over some of the cheaper flimsier models, though even on mine there is a good bit of flex when you are all the way at the top.

Your roof should be able to support the weight of a reasonably sized person - assuming there's no underlying damage. Just step carefully when you get up there to detect soft spots. Some folks lay small sections of plywood down to spread the load while they're up there. Some new RVs have no factory installed ladders. Others, like ours, have a half-ladder, and you have to attach another section to it to use it. Ours also has a placard on the roof, right at the top of the ladder that says, "Do not get on the roof. Falling could cause serious injury or death." An attempt at reducing the manufacturer's liability I'm sure.

Kev

Kevin Means said:
Your roof should be able to support the weight of a reasonably sized person - assuming there's no underlying damage. Just step carefully when you get up there to detect soft spots. Some folks lay small sections of plywood down to spread the load while they're up there. Some new RVs have no factory installed ladders.

Heard the same about weight and cheap construction as well as keeping TT's cheap by not including ladders. Mine has one and I use it as a chair hanger top to bottom. I'd add one if I were you. Even if you don't go on the roof, you can do an inspection often.

You have to really be careful about the backing behind the walls that may have been installed or not to support the ladder and the weight placed on it.>>>Dan

I will say this about ladders factory installed.

Now Mine,, When I decided to replace it I simply reached out with one hand and ripped it off the RV. No screwdriver, I just pulled it off WITH ONE HAND.. Ok, I'm big, I'm Strong, but nto that strong.

The replacement is "Detachable" in fact it is a convertable (Step/Extension) ladder.  In Step mode it is perfect for wash & wax and in Extension it is just exactly the right length to get on the roof. and being a "Pitched" ladder (Not straight up and down) easier to climb and mount/dismount at the top
(Oh the proper pitch.. Put your toes against the foot of the ladder. Stand straight, Reach out with you hands, arm fully extended, and grab a rung. if your finger tips hit, too flat, your wrist, too steep, a nice comfortable grip. just right. Yes, you are the angle set)

The "J" hooks that hold the ladder are lagged into soild wood with quarter inch lag bolts.  Two each.

To test 'em I hooked a roap over 'em , formed a sturip at the bottom put my foot in the struip and "Bounced" it held my 300 plus no problem BOUNCING..

That's the difference between a screw in fiberglass and one in good, solid, wood.

Mine didn?t have one either, I bought an extension ladder for the already mentioned reasons.

Mine had a ladder factory installed.  It makes a good place to strap the 16' extension ladder I use to get on the roof.

You might want to rethink the ladder.

A regular ladder or big tall step ladder can do double duty at your sticks and bricks home as well as your RV.

After 8 years fulltiming in a Class C here is what I discovered:

Anytime you need a big tall step ladder or regular ladder, just ask the campground.

On several occasions I smiled quite happily but told them I had an emergency and needed to borrow a big tall ladder, if that was at all possible. In each case, they happily brought me one out.  Each time it was a big sturdy step ladder. Luckily each time I was able to fix the problem without leaving the ladder to go across the roof. In one case when I was going to have to scramble across the roof, their maintenance guy did it for me to clear the fallen tree branch that had crashed down in the night.

I am sure there are campgrounds that might think of reasons not to loan out a ladder, but I never had any trouble borrowing one.

My Class C came with a ladder that I didn't much care for. However it was good for hanging things off of it.  ;D

Back
Top Bottom