EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: Thank God for Kidney Stones  (Read 648 times)

Kevin Means

• Forum Staff
  • ---
    • Tactical Flying
Thank God for Kidney Stones
« on: March 09, 2018, 01:56:36 PM »
In the last month or so, I've been unable to post much due to a totally unforeseen health problem, and I wanted to post about it here, because I want my fellow RVers to benefit from my experience.

I'm 59 and have always been blessed with excellent health. One morning about a month ago, after returning from Quartzsite, I started experiencing extreme pain near my left kidney. It was debilitating. A few hours later, a CAT Scan revealed a 3 mm kidney stone, and it ended up passing on its own. The CAT Scan, however, also revealed that my colon was inflamed near the same kidney. The doctor said it was probably caused by irritation from the kidney stone, but suggested a colonoscophy, just to be sure.

About 8 & 1/2 years ago, I had had a colonoscophy when I turned 50. I was given a clean bill of health and told to return in 10 years for another one. Even so, I decided to follow the doctor's advice and get another one now, just in case. Sure enough, the inflamation turned out to be colon cancer.

Last Friday, the tumor and 20 partially inflamed lymph nodes near it, were surgically removed. About an hour ago, my doctor called and said the biopsy revealed no sign of cancer in any of the nodes. In other words, it hadn't spread. I beat it.

I am a person of faith, and there's no doubt in my mind that the kidney stone (my first ever) was put there, so the cancer could be detected much earlier than it otherwise would have been. It likely saved my life. One important point I want to make is this... I had absolutely no symptoms of colon cancer - nothing - even looking back on it. Apparently, that's not unusual.

So if you're overdue for a colonoscophy, do yourself a favor and go get checked. Yeah, prepping for it ain't no fun, but at least you'll have some peace of mind. And who knows... it might just save your life. Now, I'm back to RVing.

Kev
2011 Winnebago Tour 42QD
Towing a Jeep Rubicon Unlimited LJ or an Acura MDX
RVI Brake 2, Minder TM-66 TPMS, 970 watts of solar
(Can't wait to spend more time RVing)
Lakeside, California

Sun2Retire

• Photo moderator
  • ---
Re: Thank God for Kidney Stones
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2018, 02:03:05 PM »
Glad it all turned out well Kevin
Scott
Fulltiming in a 2005 Newmar Dutch Star 3810, Spartan, Cat C7 350
Eezrv TPMS, VMSpc, 800W Solar
2002 Dodge RAM 1500 Quad Cab toad
Stowmaster towbar & Brakemaster toad braking system

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
  • Celebrating 25 years of The RV Forum online.
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2018, 02:04:01 PM »
Congratulations Kevin, that's very good news.
Tom.  Need help? Click the Help button in the toolbar above.

Alpena Jeff

• ---
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2018, 03:15:32 PM »
Well Kevin, that ruined my day and made my day all in 30 seconds.
May God continue to bless you and your family!
Jeff
« Last Edit: March 09, 2018, 03:18:11 PM by Alpena Jeff »
Jeff & Judy
2016 Newmar Ventana 3427
2018 GMC Canyon All Terrain toad
Blue Ox Aventa LX - RVi3 - EEZRV
Retired to "the lake" in north Michigan

Bob T

• ---
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2018, 03:19:19 PM »
Fantastic news.
2008 Winnebago Vectra 40 TD
Any day you wake up on the right side of the grass is a Beautiful Day!

SeilerBird

• ---
  • Everything I state is my opinion.
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2018, 03:49:53 PM »
I am glad to hear everything is all right now Kevin. I am glad you brought the whole colonoscopy issue front and center. I had mine done last year. And I did it from both ends, but with a different instrument. It is logical to both ends at the operation. Throat cancer can also be deadly.
I would like to apologize to anyone I have not yet offended. Please be patient and I will get to you shortly.
Favorite 2017 shots:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/y0HbMU5KYa2hx02E3
My portfolio:
https://goo.gl/photos/Cx4SaYhGfYFShSty7
My Grand Canyon shots:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Nc1AT8tQp25wJwfm1

Oldgator73

• ---
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2018, 04:25:35 PM »
Great news Kevin! As a cancer survivor myself I know what the "I beat it" dance is. Good on you and happy trails.

PS: If it wasn't for my wife I would have lost my thumb if not my life.
Retired Air Force
2016 Winnie Drop
2016 Nissan Frontier

ArdraF

• ---
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2018, 05:03:25 PM »
Kevin, thank you for posting this.  It's amazing how one thing can lead to another and it's great that your outcome is positive.  We all need a little nudge now and then so hopefully your experience will encourage someone else to make an appointment for whatever they need.  Glad you're back to RVing!

ArdraF
ArdraF
:D :D

Betty Brewer

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2018, 05:14:34 PM »
Kevin,

Whoooo hoooooo! 

Thanks for  sharing. I'm certain it will make a difference for someone to take action!
BB
Betty Brewer

see where we are

ClickHill

• ---
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2018, 05:34:41 PM »
Scheduling my husband right away. We were talking about it several times this week, and this put the matter to rest.
Thank you for your remined that when it's time to get a colonoscopy do it!
I just turned 50 last month with a strong family history of colon cancer, guess I need one as well.
We are so glad to read that you are fine now. God is great!
D & D
2015 Winnebago Itasca Merdian
2013 Chevy Equinox toad

TonyDtorch

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2018, 05:45:38 PM »
I remember at 50ish of having that full size movie camera stuffed up my no parking zone...which was not as horrendous as the gallon of water imported from the Ganges river I had to drink the night before.

But since then.... once every year I get these little dip and ship things that are supposed to detect bad stuff.    Were you not doing them?  Do they not work ?
« Last Edit: March 09, 2018, 06:15:29 PM by TonyDtorch »

Punomatic

• ---
    • Life in Black and Blue
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2018, 05:56:38 PM »
Congrats, Kevin. I had the same surgery 22 years ago and got a similar report. I have been cancer free since then, but I am going in next month for a scope job. Getting both ends done (with different instruments, same as Seilerbird). Wish me luck...oh, and say a prayer for me, too!  :D
2016 Riverside White Water Retro 195
2014 Nissan Titan SL Crew Cab
DW and me and Pogo (the neurotic terrier-gone to the rainbow bridge) and Lulu (the Moxie with moxie)

Rene T

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • Every day is a payday and every payday I have off
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2018, 06:15:03 PM »
That's awesome Kev.
For anyone thinking about having it done, do it.  The worst part about the whole procedure is the prep the day before. The procedure is nothing because you're out like a light.  With me anyway. I have it done every 3 years because they always find a couple of polyps.
Rene, Lucille & co-pilot Buddy
AKA  Pep N Mem
2011 Chevy Duramax 2500 HD 4X4
2011 Montana High Country 343RL
From the Granite State of NH
& Florida Snowbird in Lakeland FL

grashley

• ---
  • Western KY for now.
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2018, 06:15:38 PM »
Being a person of faith, I agree absolutely!

As one who has had more colonoscopies, proctoscopes and Barium enema x-rays than I can count, they are nothing to fear!  The evening before can be a bit uncomfortable, but you literally sleep through the exam itself.  The benefits speak for themselves.  I had chronic ulcerative colitis for over 40 years, thus the tests.  With a total colon removal, and illiostomy, I no have a colon to scope, and I am "immune" from colon cancer.

Get the exam NOW!  It can save your life!
Preacher Gordon, DW Debbie
09 Grand Junction 35 TMS  Progressive HW50C
Andersen Ultimate hitch
2013 F350 Lariat LB SRW Supercab diesel 4X4
Nimrod Series 70 popup (sold)
It's not a dumb question if you do not know the answer.

UTTransplant

• ---
  • Cedar Falls, Iowa
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2018, 06:57:23 PM »
But since then.... once every year I get these little dip and ship things that are supposed to detect bad stuff.    Were you not doing them?  Do they not work ?
None of us are competent to do a diagnosis without a complete history, but I asked my doctor about the occult blood tests (I assume that is what you meant), and he said a colonoscopy is still the gold standard for diagnosis and treatment. If people are too scared to get one, he does the occult blood test, but the colonoscopy is greatly preferred. Not all polyps bleed. And remember if you get a positive strip test you will need a colonoscopy anyway.

And Kevin, that is great news!
Pam and Kevin plus Lily the cat
2014 Outdoors RV Timber Ridge 240RKS
2015 Ram 2500 Diesel
Tiffin 37PA on order
http://toobusyforwork.com

garyb1st

• ---
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2018, 06:59:33 PM »
Kevin, that's not the kind of stuff I like reading about from one of my favorite Forumites.  Glad your outcome was positive.  I've had two colonoscopies.  The first about 10 years ago was clear.  During the second, about a year and a half ago, 4 polyps were removed that were found to be non-cancerous.  You're right, the preparation is a minor inconvenience compared to the risk of doing nothing.  They recommend that I test again after 4 years.  It's been a year and a half since the last one and now I'm thinking I'll move that up to 3 years. 

Gary
Gary B1st

2005 Pace Arrow 35G
2016 Jeep Wrangler

Dance Chick

• ---
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2018, 07:40:51 PM »
That's absolutely wonderful news as I'm sure it was very scary. My mother was a 25 yr. colon cancer survivor. Like you, hers had not spread because her
tumor was pressing on her appendix, therefore causing severe nausea and pain. Like your kidney stone, had her appendix not been involved, she would've not known she had colon cancer until much later when it probably would have spread. As in all cancers, early detection is the key. And, yes, as someone with a family history, I've had 2 of them. The latest was last November.
Gene, Gayle, & Oliver (the dog-but don't tell him)
2006 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 40 PDQ/2012 Honda CRV toad
Blue Ox towing/Air Force One braking
"And when you get the choice to sit it out or dance, I hope you dance."

Dragginourbedaround

• ---
  • I look out the window and see trees, I'm camping
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2018, 07:59:24 PM »
Awesome news Kevin! Wish you continued good health.
Gene

2013 Winnebago Adventurer 37F
2011 Honda Fit

Heli_av8tor

• ---
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2018, 08:47:46 PM »
  :))   Happy that allís well now!

Tom
Tom & Theresa
2004 Pace Arrow 37C, Workhorse W22, 8.1 Vortec
2014 Honda CR-V Toad, Roadmaster -5 Base and tow bar
SMI Stay and Play Duo Brake system

camperAL

• ---
  • Back Into RV'ing
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2018, 08:58:36 PM »
Hi Kevin,

I'm really glad that you were able to get things under control and have put that out for the rest of us. I need to get a test done on a health issue that I may have. Local hospital has been difficult to deal with and has slowed me down.

Look forward to posts from you the next 50 years at least!
CamperAL (Indiana)
(2006 Coachmen Mirada 290 KS )

Larry N.

• ---
  • Westminster, CO
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2018, 09:08:31 PM »
I have a niece (in her 40s) that was diagnosed with colon cancer a couple of years ago -- stage four -- and she still has no symptoms, other than what the chemo has done. But it did get into her liver, so that has been partially removed. She's still fighting, and taking her 5 mile daily walk.
Larry and Mary Ann N.
2016 Newmar Ventana 3709 -ISB6.7 XT 360HP
2015 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited toad
Formerly: Trailmanor 2720SL, Bounder, Beaver
  de N8GGG

SargeW

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • Life is better on the road!
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2018, 10:11:19 PM »
OMG Kev! Thank God for small miracles! I just had my second one yesterday. Other than the prep, it's a piece of cake. Luckily I was all clear again.  Funny though, I did have stones in my late 20's. Thought I was trying to pass a bowling ball.  But I would have gladly taken a stone to your diagnosis.

Thanks for sharing and putting this out there. We just lost a female friend that put off getting a colonoscopy about 5 years ago. After a 4 years she just lost the battle.  This is some serious stuff.
Marty--
2017 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40SP
Cummins ISL 450 HP/Powerglide chassis
Visit our new travel blog! http://www.mytripjournal.com/rvnchick2018
Support your local Police Officer, Fire Fighter and Military!

jackiemac

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2018, 02:07:17 AM »
Kevin, must have been a worrying time for you and your family. I'm so glad it worked out well. 

My OH had a kidney stone of 7mm which hung around for over a year and had an impact on his general health until it squeezed it's way out a month ago in 2 pieces.

Interestingly I don't think the UK offers colonoscopies unless there is signs of blood in the stick test.

Long may your good health continue!
Jackie n Steve - Happy Scottish Travellers

2017 Heartland Sundance 288rls
2016 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4L Hemi

Home in Scotland eagerly awaiting next trip!

VallAndMo

• ---
  • Vall and Mo, a married couple getting ready for FT
« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2018, 02:51:14 AM »
Hi Kev,

Congratulations on having dodged quite a bullet! And thanks for posting it. May you live long and prosper.

Cheers,
--
   Vall & Mo.

Debra17

• ---
« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2018, 09:56:46 AM »
Wow!  That was quite an experience to go through so suddenly. So glad for the wonderful outcome!  Yes, thank God for the kidney stone!
Debra & Misty, the cat
2017 Northwood Nash 17K
2015 Ford F250 Lariat
http://www.debsrvtravels.com

Hosted by Over The Network