Thank God for Kidney Stones

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kevin Means

Site Team
In the last month or so, I've been unable to post much due to a totally unforeseen health problem, and I wanted to post about it here, because I want my fellow RVers to benefit from my experience.

I'm 59 and have always been blessed with excellent health. One morning about a month ago, after returning from Quartzsite, I started experiencing extreme pain near my left kidney. It was debilitating. A few hours later, a CAT Scan revealed a 3 mm kidney stone, and it ended up passing on its own. The CAT Scan, however, also revealed that my colon was inflamed near the same kidney. The doctor said it was probably caused by irritation from the kidney stone, but suggested a colonoscophy, just to be sure.

About 8 & 1/2 years ago, I had had a colonoscophy when I turned 50. I was given a clean bill of health and told to return in 10 years for another one. Even so, I decided to follow the doctor's advice and get another one now, just in case. Sure enough, the inflamation turned out to be colon cancer.

Last Friday, the tumor and 20 partially inflamed lymph nodes near it, were surgically removed. About an hour ago, my doctor called and said the biopsy revealed no sign of cancer in any of the nodes. In other words, it hadn't spread. I beat it.

I am a person of faith, and there's no doubt in my mind that the kidney stone (my first ever) was put there, so the cancer could be detected much earlier than it otherwise would have been. It likely saved my life. One important point I want to make is this... I had absolutely no symptoms of colon cancer - nothing - even looking back on it. Apparently, that's not unusual.

So if you're overdue for a colonoscophy, do yourself a favor and go get checked. Yeah, prepping for it ain't no fun, but at least you'll have some peace of mind. And who knows... it might just save your life. Now, I'm back to RVing.

Kev

Congratulations Kevin, that's very good news.

I am glad to hear everything is all right now Kevin. I am glad you brought the whole colonoscopy issue front and center. I had mine done last year. And I did it from both ends, but with a different instrument. It is logical to both ends at the operation. Throat cancer can also be deadly.

Great news Kevin! As a cancer survivor myself I know what the "I beat it" dance is. Good on you and happy trails.

PS: If it wasn't for my wife I would have lost my thumb if not my life.

Kevin, thank you for posting this.  It's amazing how one thing can lead to another and it's great that your outcome is positive.  We all need a little nudge now and then so hopefully your experience will encourage someone else to make an appointment for whatever they need.  Glad you're back to RVing!

ArdraF

Kevin,

Whoooo hoooooo! 

Thanks for  sharing. I'm certain it will make a difference for someone to take action!
BB

Scheduling my husband right away. We were talking about it several times this week, and this put the matter to rest.
Thank you for your remined that when it's time to get a colonoscopy do it!
I just turned 50 last month with a strong family history of colon cancer, guess I need one as well.
We are so glad to read that you are fine now. God is great!

I remember at 50ish of having that full size movie camera stuffed up my no parking zone...which was not as horrendous as the gallon of water imported from the Ganges river I had to drink the night before.

But since then.... once every year I get these little dip and ship things that are supposed to detect bad stuff.    Were you not doing them?  Do they not work ?

Congrats, Kevin. I had the same surgery 22 years ago and got a similar report. I have been cancer free since then, but I am going in next month for a scope job. Getting both ends done (with different instruments, same as Seilerbird). Wish me luck...oh, and say a prayer for me, too!  :D

That's awesome Kev.
For anyone thinking about having it done, do it.  The worst part about the whole procedure is the prep the day before. The procedure is nothing because you're out like a light.  With me anyway. I have it done every 3 years because they always find a couple of polyps.

Being a person of faith, I agree absolutely!

As one who has had more colonoscopies, proctoscopes and Barium enema x-rays than I can count, they are nothing to fear!  The evening before can be a bit uncomfortable, but you literally sleep through the exam itself.  The benefits speak for themselves.  I had chronic ulcerative colitis for over 40 years, thus the tests.  With a total colon removal, and illiostomy, I no have a colon to scope, and I am "immune" from colon cancer.

Get the exam NOW!  It can save your life!

TonyDtorch said:
But since then.... once every year I get these little dip and ship things that are supposed to detect bad stuff.    Were you not doing them?  Do they not work ?
None of us are competent to do a diagnosis without a complete history, but I asked my doctor about the occult blood tests (I assume that is what you meant), and he said a colonoscopy is still the gold standard for diagnosis and treatment. If people are too scared to get one, he does the occult blood test, but the colonoscopy is greatly preferred. Not all polyps bleed. And remember if you get a positive strip test you will need a colonoscopy anyway.

And Kevin, that is great news!

Kevin, that's not the kind of stuff I like reading about from one of my favorite Forumites.  Glad your outcome was positive.  I've had two colonoscopies.  The first about 10 years ago was clear.  During the second, about a year and a half ago, 4 polyps were removed that were found to be non-cancerous.  You're right, the preparation is a minor inconvenience compared to the risk of doing nothing.  They recommend that I test again after 4 years.  It's been a year and a half since the last one and now I'm thinking I'll move that up to 3 years. 

Gary

That's absolutely wonderful news as I'm sure it was very scary. My mother was a 25 yr. colon cancer survivor. Like you, hers had not spread because her
tumor was pressing on her appendix, therefore causing severe nausea and pain. Like your kidney stone, had her appendix not been involved, she would've not known she had colon cancer until much later when it probably would have spread. As in all cancers, early detection is the key. And, yes, as someone with a family history, I've had 2 of them. The latest was last November.

Hi Kevin,

I'm really glad that you were able to get things under control and have put that out for the rest of us. I need to get a test done on a health issue that I may have. Local hospital has been difficult to deal with and has slowed me down.

Look forward to posts from you the next 50 years at least!

Back
Top Bottom