Is all of Florida booked a year out?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Humanaquarian

I have the last week off in March, would love to take my RV to Florida, but every place I?ve checked is booked...any insights, tricks etc to making this happen? Near the beach and the pan handle preferred.

Florida's a big place and no where near all sites are booked a year out.  Plenty available, but the really popular destinations do get booked for the winter months well in advance. Beach access is obviously one of the big draws, and many of the panhandle and Florida Keys sites are hugely popular as well.

For a one week visit, check out the state parks https://www.floridastateparks.org/activity-list/Camping

Hard to make suggestions without a laundry list of where you have already tried.

A week isn't much, considering the driving distance/time.

The FL Panhandle is closest, and the Gulf Shores area of Alabama is equally fine that time of year. They are all popular snowbird locations, though, so many sites get booked for the season. Look into Gulf Islands National Seashore (National Park).

Here are some others to look at:

https://www.gulfshores.com/lodging/camping.aspx#sm.0001ofrr8rcyxf0r11n6znwsjtwyt

https://www.campflorida.com/Regions/Northwest-Florida/
http://www.floridarambler.com/florida-camping/rv-camping-in-northwest-florida-state-parks/

Some places have a "30 days in advance" policy that means if you try to reserve 30 days and 5 minutes before your arrival date. TOO EARLY and 29 days 23:55 hours before your arrival date "Sold Out".

I'm actually not kidding all that much,

We stayed at Fort Pickens Nation Park in February. It is a National Park right on the Gulf of Mexico in the Pensacola area.
They usually have spots available for the time you would want to be there.
Now you might have to move your rig from spot to spot, as we saw several RVs do, but they seemed to make it work.
It is a beautiful park and well worth the hassle of moving if we went again.

As stated, Florida is a big state with a lot of campgrounds.  However, as also said popular places do fill up particularly with snowbirds.  Places near Disney, or the Keys are likely to give you problems, but there are hundreds of campgrounds in the Tampa Bay area, and even more heading around the Panhandle all the way over to Texas' Lower Rio Grande.
    It really does depend on what you want out of a Campground and location.  For a week or 2 I would support the suggestion of a State Park, anywhere along the Gulf.  We have stayed at them in Florida's Panhandle, Mississippi, and Louisiana.  Each different, but that time of year nice warm weather and lots of nearby things to do, plus your closest destination to home.

Ed

If you have a toad or other transportation and plan to do some touring, almost anywhere is game. Without a toad your RV park becomes a destination or you have to do what I have to, and unhook and pack up to go touring, and I'll second Ft Pickens, especially if you like the beach, walking trails, history, nature, etc. If old enough and have a Federal Interagency Senior pass, Pickens becomes a real deal. Gate fees are $20 good for seven days, but free with the Senior or regular annual interagency pass, and campsites are now $40 a night but half that with the Senior pass.

https://www.recreation.gov/camping/fort-pickens-campground/r/campgroundDetails.do?contractCode=NRSO&parkId=97219 The A loop and C and E loops are your only options, B and D are now classified as Tent only as the sites are short and have low hanging limbs throughout. C and E are more open than A which has more trees. Both have good showers and dump stations.

Big Lagoon State Park is also a good place to stay. (Pensacola area, west side, closest park to the Naval Aviation Museum).

As noted, consider the Alabama Gulf Shores area and also west side of Mobile Bay is Dauphin Island, County operated campground, Estauarine aquarium, pre civil war fort, Audubon Sanctuary with walking trails, and places to eat seafood (I have not been, it is next on the list) on the way thru Mobile you can stop at the Battleship Alabama and related displays.

Charles

John From Detroit said:
Some places have a "30 days in advance" policy that means if you try to reserve 30 days and 5 minutes before your arrival date. TOO EARLY and 29 days 23:55 hours before your arrival date "Sold Out".

I'm actually not kidding all that much,

Yeah, I live in Florida and there are a few places I'd like to visit but in all the years in our MH, the pop-up before , and tents before that I have yet to go.

Seems like things have gotten even a bit busier these last few years.

We have stayed at the Blueberry Hill CG in Bushnell several times this year and there seemed to always be several places available. The CG is a part of the SUN group. It is located very close to I-75 and has a Walmart just across the street. There are also several other campgrounds very close. It is about 25 miles from the Gulf Coast. We enjoy going there and eating at Catfish Johnnies up the road about 10 miles.

Panhandle is tough this time of year what with spring break in AL, GA, FL, TN etc. Plus Bike Weekers. Good luck.

Also remember you are coming to Florida during "in-season".  And some of the camp grounds in the keys where lots of people usually go "in season" were just wiped by the hurricane.  So lots of people are camping further north.  I understand your frustration.  Since we just acquired our "new to us"  travel trailer we want to "take it out for a spin" and weren't able to find a spot until the second week in april!  Keep trying sometimes there are cancellations and you are able to get a spot.  Good Luck!

Had to leave our gov't campground during the shutdown in February. Found it very difficult to get a campsite in the Melbourne , Cape Canaveral area.  Any place that's good seems to be full.

Back
Top Bottom