RV Brochure and RV Owners Manual in Conflict - What is right?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

M Brown

Hi, everyone.  Anyone have a 2001 Holiday Rambler Endeavor?  Can you tell me what your Weight Label on the chassis or the Weight Label in the closet says relative to GVWR and GCWR?    Here is the long story.    New to your Forum but have relied on it several times over the years.  Have been in some kind of an RV ever since my dad stopped using a tent and bought a truck camper for the 1965 pickup.  Just sold my Class C and am looking at Diesel Pushers to enjoy in my retirement.  Lots of great info here on what to look for in older models.    Appreciate that.    OK... So my issue is that because of financial constraints I am looking at 2000 to 2005 model years.  I intend to tow my GMC Sierra 1/2 ton.  So I am making sure that what I am looking has a chassis that can handle closer to 10,000 pounds towing.    While investigating I found that the for 2001 HR Endeavor Diesels there is a conflict between the Manufacturer Brochure (30k and 40k) and the Manufacturer Owners Manual (29k and 34k).  So manufacturer brochure says a 2001 can tow 10,000 lbs.    The Owners manual says 5,000 lbs.  Would like to confirm so I can keep or remove this model from my list of possibles.

Thank you,

Hi and welcome to the forum. If no one here has the answer try calling a dealer selling one, they would probably take a photo and send it to you if you ask nicely.

https://www.lichtsinn.com/product/used-2001-holiday-rambler-endeavor-40-pbd-446142-10

The real answer for a particular coach will be on a sticker in the coach itself. This one, I believe, is legally bound to be correct.

I'm not sure why the owners manual shows a 5,000lbs limit. Holiday Rambler Endeavor DPs of that era were built on a (Monaco) Roadmaster chassis, and had specified limits of:

GVWR = 30,000lbs
GCWR = 40,000lbs

They were also fitted with a 10,000lbs tow hitch. Since towing capacity = (GCWR-GVWR), that would suggest a towing capacity of 10,000lbs.

Prior to the demise of Monaco, I'd have suggested calling their tech support. You could try contacting their current owner (Rev Group): https://www.holidayrambler.com/contact

The 2001 Endeavor confusion is probably because it is available in both gas and diesel chassis models, with substantial difference in capability.  Until you can identify a specific model, it's all but impossible to make any general statements.  Further, neither the brochure nor the owner manual is unique to a specific coach - only the data on the onboard weight placard is specific to that coach, and even then will not be actual scaled weights in a 2001.

The gas chassis versions will typically have a 5000 lb tow rating & hitch, while the diesel pusher Endeavors will be 10,000 lb rated.  As Tom says, the Endeavor DPs were 30k GVWR and 40k GCWR,, so a 10k lb tow capacity.  The gas-powered Endeavors used a Ford chassis with much lower numbers, 20.500 GVWR and 25,500 GCWR.

Note that gas and diesel Endeavor brochures and manuals are separate publications.

Gary is probably correct, and that thought crossed my mind when posting. Since you specifically said "diesel", I took that at face value and assumed you were looking at DP owners manual.

M Brown did say diesel at one point, but the numbers are suspiciously gas vs diesel chassis coaches.  I'm thinking he may have downloaded a brochure or manual that doesn't match the coach in question.

Hi everyone, and thank you for your replies.  Sorry for my delayed response.  My wife and I have been traveling and looking for our future motorhome.     

And yes, I have been scouring the motorhomes looking for the weight spec sheet/label.  Amazing where they hide them.  :)  I have looked on door jams, inside closets, on closet doors, inside cabinet doors etc.    Usually find them, but on a few occasions was unsuccessful.

I have been trying to pay attention to if the specs are gas or diesel.  Also to chassis manufacturer.  Turns out older Newmar Dutch Stars have different tow rating for the Freightliner Chassis verses the Spartan Chassis.    But I digress.

For the 2001 Endeavor, due to attachment size limitations I have attached selected owners manual and brochure pages.  Both documents say Endeavor Diesel.

I did get a chance to look at a 2001.  Could not find the weight placard but the hitch decal said 10,000 lbs.  Owner was not much help.  I guess hitch could be 10,000 lbs and chassis not.  Maybe I am being to picky.  That coach had other issues so I will pass on it in any case.  But overall that model is a possibility.

Will contact Rev Group as suggested. 

Again, thank you all.    The search continues. 

Attachments

• Brochure 2001 HR Endeavor 7-8.pdf
    229.6 KB · Views: 4
  • Owners Manual 2001_Endeavor_diesel pg2,-15-271.pdf
    124.2 KB · Views: 4
Many Freightliner diesel chassis have a 10,000 lb tow rating, while all the Spartans I've seen are 15,000.  Not sure if it's a physical difference in construction or just more or less conservative ratings.  In both cases the receiver seems to be well-attached direct to the chassis rails.

Back
Top Bottom