Remodelng-how hard is it really?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jtcowman

So here is the deal.  Mama wants a separate sink and a place to get ready.  She doesn't want to be tripping over me while we are both trying to get ready to go someplace.  In addition, she would like more of a sink than is found in most ~30' 5th wheels.  If I were to take the existing sink, that is backed up to a short wall (see attached picture) take out the existing sink and cabinet, move the wall to the opposite side of where the plumbing comes through the floor, make the wall longer and install a new sink/cabinet that I would build on the bedroom side of the wall instead of the bathroom side, how hard of a project would this be?  Are there special materials that I would have to use, or could I just match the appearance?  If I were doing this in my house, after I got the new cabinet built it would be a 3-4 day project at most, but being brand new to 5th wheels, I want to make sure I am not overlooking something and getting myself in an expensive mess!  Any and all comments/suggestions are appreciated!

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    11.4 KB · Views: 69
Are you going to lose the pocket door? How will the new wall intersect with the area where the linen closet is? Or are you planning to just leave that passageway open with no door? If that is the plan, it should be relatively easy to do what you are thinking. I assume you will leave intact the wall where the bathroom door is and where the bedroom door latch is. Only suggestion I have for materials is to remember that weight is always a factor when remodeling an RV. Making your cabinet with 1/8" ply on a frame would be ideal. If you want a little more strength, sandwich your frame with 1/8" ply on both sides. Good luck, and have fun with your project.  :D (Half the fun of RVing is doing projects on the coach.)

There is nothing special about remodeling in an RV.  In fact, it's often simpler than a stick house as long as you do not have to add or reroute plumbing or electric in some major way.  Moving wires and water lines can be a challenge, depending on just what you need to re-do.

If you are simply moving the sink to the other side of the wall and plan to remove the door, it is a very simple job.  Why not leave that sink alone for your use and ADD a new sink for her on the other side of the wall, tapping into existing water and gray lines?

Thank you all for your help!.  I may choose to just add another sink, it just depends on how wide the space between the bed and the wall happens to be, and what the specific floor plan is.  Now that I know that it is no great mystery, when we start looking I can keep remodeling in mind instead of having to find the "perfect" floor plan.  Yahoo!  One step closer!

Rvusa is a great place to look at brands & floor plans. We narrowed our search down to two brands with nearly the same floor plan last year when looking for our newer MH. Have fun with your quest!
https://www.rvusa.com/rv-guide/specs-by-type-fifth-wheel-t4

jtcowman:

Nothing magic about RVs. As mentioned weight is a concern. There is a lot more movement and vibration in an RV than a house. I tend to lean towards screws rather than nails or staples. Though, I haven't convinced the RV manufacturers of this last tip.

What are the chances DW to use the kitchen sink? Would be a lot easier than a remodel.

Thanks.

Hugh

The thing we ran into is many things are hidden within other things.

We went to replace the dinette with a kitchen table and chairs. Under one bench we found the water pump and storage cabinet, under the other we found the furnace. So we removed on bench, gave up the storage space and built a small box for the water pump, we left the other bench installed because there was not practical place to put the furnace. there are several thing of this nature in any TT.

Safe travels 

An option:  YOU use the kitchen sink and let the wife use the bathroom sink.  No additional cost.  (but, I'm thrifty).

As previously mentioned by others, remodeling an RV is pretty simple as long as there is no wiring or plumbing.  I just started a remodel on a Nash 22H camp trailer.  This is my 4th trailer and every single one of them had design flaws.  This one is the worst.

I've come to the conclusion that every single RV designer should have to move all their "stuff" into a prototype before the RV goes into production.  They must finding places for it all, make the bed, cook meals, use the shower, closets, drawers and food storage.  They should have to live in it for a week before it's allowed into production.  If this were the case, I'm absolutely positive that some of these "floor plans" would never make it to production.  My problems:

1) 20 minutes fighting with a mattress to make up a bed that you can only access from on side.
2) A couch that you practically have to stumble over to get in the door.
3) Electrical panel under said useless couch, which is impossible to access unless you are on the floor and able to become a pretzel.
4) If they had moved the toilet 2 inches closer to the sink, (there is a 6 inch space) or raised the door on the closet by 2 inches, you could actually open both closet doors.
5) If the closet were 2 inches deeper, my clothes would not get smashed & wrinkled.  Clothes have to be angled to fit in closet. Really?
6) A deep storage compartment under one bench seat of the dinette with no access from the inside.  My arms are not 4 feet long.

We have "fixed" all but those impossible to fix.  Cut out the stupid half wall between the kitchen and the bed.  Removed the couch & built a cabinet for the power center.  Removed the inside end panel on the dinette & installed a door for access to the storage compartment.    Not much I can do about the closet/toilet but a lesson learned on trailer purchases.

VickieB68 said:
I've come to the conclusion that every single RV designer should have to move all their "stuff" into a prototype before the RV goes into production.  They must finding places for it all, make the bed, cook meals, use the shower, closets, drawers and food storage.  They should have to live in it for a week before it's allowed into production.  If this were the case, I'm absolutely positive that some of these "floor plans" would never make it to production.

How true. We've looked at quite a few units over the past few months and it never ceases to amaze me how outright poorly some of the interior layouts are. Almost as if, as you allude to, they were designed by somebody playing around with some kind of computer layout program having never set foot in an RV not to mention spent any time in one.

Not just subtle things that might be considered just a matter of preference, but outright glaring issues that I'd think would be an issue with any owner. Beds that fold out and block access entirely, doors that open the wrong way, weird placement of televisions, etc. etc.

Makes me wonder what what might be under the surface that I can't see!

jymbee:  You are correct.  I believe somebody with a computer and inside dimensions of said trailer just plays around with square feet on everything they want in it.  If they had to actually use it, they would find some things absurd.  I know what you mean about wondering what is underneath.  I've actually seen what is under/in walls, etc.  It isn't pretty.  They are making them so cheaply that I'm shocked at some of the things I've seen.  Another gripe:  If it doesn't have a window in all four sides, I don't want anything to do with it.  While camping, I want to be able to see my tow vehicle if I hear thumps in the night.  Also the back.  I had a friend who had his generator stolen out of the back of his pick up truck while he was sleeping in the camper attached to it.  Sheesh!  Another suggestion for manufacturers, if you don't want to put a generator in the thing, at least make a place to install one.  Having to make/buy a carrier for the generator so it's not in your tow vehicle is a pain.

The KZ Durango Gold 384RLT is a great floor plan and has the additional sink in the bedroom. Great kitchen storage also. Great article on it in the latest Motor Home magazine. I love this floor plan. Thought you might want to look at it. After lots of searching I think it?s the one for us.

Back
Top Bottom