Towing though the mountains

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Garebear

I am planning a trip out west this summer towing a camper trailer. I?m am new to the rving scene and not sure what to expect or if my truck is capable of towing though steep inclines. I own a 2014 GMC Sierra 5.3ltr v8 and just bought a 2017 28ft jayco trailer. The trailer is 6000 or 6200 lbs fully loaded says the plate and my trucks towing capacity is 9600 lbs. I have a 3 inch lift and large oversized aggressive tires on the truck which I?ve heard will negatively effect me when towing. Looking for some advice from some experienced rvers as to whether I should take it into the mountains or not. Thanks for the info in advance.

First of all, welcome to the forum. Grab a coffee and pull up a stump, there is a wealth of information here. I hate to break the news to you but your truck will really struggle in the mountains. It won't comfortably pull anywhere near it's rated capacity on a steep incline with the oversize tires, they effectively make the gear ratio higher (lower number). You risk overheating the engine and transmission and miledge will be atrocious.  Descents will be white knuckle at best. Put the stock tires on if you still have them. Safety first.

How much oversized are the tires? Increasing tire diameter (and hence the circumference) will indeed have an effect, basically lowering the final drive gear ratio.

This article will help you measure the possible effect. Once you know the effective drive ratio with the bigger tires, you can guestimate the performance impact. Look for a stock GM rear axle ratio that is close to what you will have and observe how the tow rating changes. It can be significant.
http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/07/30/tire-math-calculating-the-effects-of-tire-diameter-on-final-drive-ratio/

"Mountains" isn't very precise either. Long steep grades are the killer, cause you burn off whatever momentum you have near the bottom and need pure grunt power to drag that 6200 lbs up the hill.  GM says your truck can do it, but they didn't promise you would be happy while underway.  I'm guessing that a guy who did a lift and oversize tires probably doesn't have a lot of patience when it comes to climbing hills at 30 mph.

The lift also changes the drive shaft angle into the rear axle. That makes heavy loads do far more wear & tear than stock.

I live in Colorado and spent quite a few years pulling a 2,500lb camper behind my 2000 Tacoma with a 180hp v6 motor.

Your setup sounds reasonable, even with the bigger tires.  Be happy pulling long, steep grades in a lower gear at 55 mph instead of trying to keep up with the rest of the traffic and use that transmission to slow you down going down hill.

Cheers,

Dan K.

One other issue you will want to address on your set up is the height of the trailer hitch with the TT on the back. If you have taller tires and a lift kit, the angle of the trailer may lean towards the rear. You may at the very least need a drop hitch to get the trailer level, and maybe a little lower in the front.  Usually a bumper pull trailer needs to have about 10% if the weight on the tongue of the trailer. If the trailer is riding high in the front, towing will be dangerously unstable, and will have the tendency to want to "wag".    8 to 9000 pounds of trailer wagging back and forth on the highway is a recipe for disaster.

Where out west? And how long of a trip are you planning and in what time frame?

I pulled a 27 foot Komfort trailer with a 99 GMC 1500 5.3.  Did that for about a month on level ground and then tried to go over Donner Summit on I80.

Turned around, went home and bought a GMC 2500 with the 8.1 gas engine. 

Can you pull your trailer? Yes.  But I suspect you'll be upgrading soon.

SargeW said:
One other issue you will want to address on your set up is the height of the trailer hitch with the TT on the back. If you have taller tires and a lift kit, the angle of the trailer may lean towards the rear. You may at the very least need a drop hitch to get the trailer level, and maybe a little lower in the front.  Usually a bumper pull trailer needs to have about 10% if the weight on the tongue of the trailer. If the trailer is riding high in the front, towing will be dangerously unstable, and will have the tendency to want to "wag".    8 to 9000 pounds of trailer wagging back and forth on the highway is a recipe for disaster.
The truck should have a receiver that will allow a dropped hitch. He doesn't want to hook that trailer directly to the bumper.

Yeah, I know. Generally any RV that pull from the very end of the vehicle can be referred to as a "bumper pull" trailer. The effect would be the same by raising the truck, he has raised the point of connection for the trailer.

What rear gear does your truck have?  3.08 or 3.42.  My 2014 Silverado has the max trailer package with 3.73 gears.  I pull an Avenger 26BB that is comparable to your trailer in length and weight.  The biggest hills I have pulled are I-75 in Kentucky and US 14 through the bighorn mountains in Wyoming.  I had no problems.  Half ton trucks have come a long way.

Hi. Sorry I haven?t replied sooner. The mountains that I?m referring to are the Canadian Rockies. So basically the Alberta bc border. Not sure on destinations quite yet but just don?t know if it?s a good idea to go to far into bc with all the ups and downs and sleep grades. As for the tires I?m running they are oversized but nothing crazy, running Goodyear wrangler duratracs. Any other info that would help on an informed decision I?ll be glad to provide

The Canadian Rockies are the steepest climbs I've done and I've hit all the lower 48 states. 

Keep in mind July 1 is Canada Day, like our 4th of July. You better have reservations.

Garebear said:
Hi. Sorry I haven?t replied sooner. The mountains that I?m referring to are the Canadian Rockies. So basically the Alberta bc border. Not sure on destinations quite yet but just don?t know if it?s a good idea to go to far into bc with all the ups and downs and sleep grades. As for the tires I?m running they are oversized but nothing crazy, running Goodyear wrangler duratracs. Any other info that would help on an informed decision I?ll be glad to provide

i live in Calgary if you plan on doing any traveling west of here that 5.3 is going to be hating life - plus the winds we get. A 1/2 ton will get blown right off the road if you plan on going to Pincher Creek

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Davidomero
Back
Top Bottom