Level

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

grashley

We are going on our first mini trip next week.  HORRAY!!

One project is to install a level on the pin box and one on the side of the camper near the leveling jacks.  I have not done this at home because it is nowhere near level.  Right now, measured on the kitchen counter with a 4 ft level, the left side is 2 ? inches low over 8 ft FW width.  Measured on the floor as far forward as there is floor, the left side is only 1 inch low.  obviously, the frame is a bit torqued now.

When installing the level on the pin box, where do you measure level?  Counter top?  Front edge of the camper?  Pin box?  Before or after unhitching?  (3 point contact or 4 point contact with the ground)  Obviously, this will be my reference for all future trips.

The level on the side - measuring front to back - this must be done after disconnecting.  Is your reference point the kitchen counter?  Floor inside door?  Some point on the chassis or frame?

I figure if I get this right the first time, getting level setups in the future will be much easier!
Thanks for your input.

Take it to a big level parking lot to play with the leveling. Initially, I would use a 3' level on the floor just inside the door. Do side to side by shimming under the wheels till it's level. Once done install a small bubble level where it would be convienent.  I put mine on the rear cap on the drivers side. My DW watches that level once I stop. She knows where and how much to shim the wheels to get that level perfect.  Or you can mount one of those huge levels on the front of the pin box.

Then level it front to back and install another small bubble level in the immediate area where your switch is to raise and lower the front landing gears.

After that's all done, I've put a frying pan on the stove with just a little water in it. The water should stay in the middle. You may need to do a little tweaking or just live with it if it's not off by much.

Use a large to get the frame level side to side and front to back.  Yes, you actually need to get down under to check it.  Now attach levels with the bubble centered.  If you use two levels on opposite corners you can detect any twist.  If your appliances are not level, fix them.

The most important place to level is the bottom plate in the freezer. Norcold specifies within  6? in one direction and 3? in the other. I don't know which is side-to-side and which is front to back right now because my book isn't handy.

ChasA said:
The most important place to level is the bottom plate in the freezer. Norcold specifies within  6? in one direction and 3? in the other. I don't know which is side-to-side and which is front to back right now because my book isn't handy.
Very true.  I level to my stovetop because 3 degrees off on my fridge works fine, but 3 degrees off on the stove and the oil runs to one side of the pan.  I hate when that happens. Since my stove is right next to my fridge, they are pretty close level-wise.

Larry N. said:
What is a "large?"  ;D

OK, you got me on that flub.  At least I don?t tilt the entire rig to suit a refrigerator bottom or stove top or some such silly thing.

Lynnmor, yeah, you're right. It's better to crawl under the rv and roll in  the dirt - several times to get my coach level. How silly I am to miss all that fun.

ChasA said:
Lynnmor, yeah, you're right. It's better to crawl under the rv and roll in  the dirt - several times to get my coach level. How silly I am to miss all that fun.

Kind of seperates the men from the boys, especially since the men know that it only needs to be done once so the levels can actually be installed correctly.  It is pretty technical stuff so some should just carry the level around and place it on whatever makes them happy.

To get really technical, you can find an empty flat(ish) parking lot and level the RV with a surveyors level, scales, and threaded stands.

Then knowing the RV is level, install the bubbles.

lynnmor said:
Kind of seperates the men from the boys, especially since the men know that it only needs to be done once so the levels can actually be installed correctly. 

THIS is the reason for the question!  I know my yard is NOT even close to level!

I did check, and the freezer floor and kitchen counter are equally out of level.  I LOVE the suggestion to level off the frame!  I expect if I do that, the counter and fridge will be good, too.  Then I try the frying pan and adjust the stove accordingly!  After that, fix breakfast, then attach the external levels!

grashley said:
THIS is the reason for the question!  I know my yard is NOT even close to level!

I did check, and the freezer floor and kitchen counter are equally out of level.  I LOVE the suggestion to level off the frame!  I expect if I do that, the counter and fridge will be good, too.  Then I try the frying pan and adjust the stove accordingly!  After that, fix breakfast, then attach the external levels!
Once again, I believe Grashley is right on all counts.  I am particularly impressed by his understanding of the importance of breakfast.  You rock, Gordon!  :))

Grashley needs to take the trailer to Cracker Barrel, in their flat parking lot, do the level thing while THEY cook breakfast.  ;)

I'm in a motorhome with levelers but for me it's not just what the bubbles say. Although my leveling system has lights to indicate level, I now go back and check two things, does the bathroom door stay right where I put it whether partially opened or partially closed, and does a couple tablespoons of water sit right in the center of the pan on the stove? If not, those two things will bug me. If I were setting up a trailer, i'd check for those things, then set my bubbles accordingly.

(then have breakfast)

It would seem to me that most important consideration in mounting a level is position.

If it is a linear level it needs to be mounted on a flat surface parallel to the length of the trailer, or perpendicular to the length. This gives fore and aft, and side to side indicators of level.

If it is a round bubble level, those considerations don't come into play. These are, in my opinion , much more difficult to use  accurately on an RV.

Since a bubble level is not adjustable, why does the trailer need to be level to mount it?

Jim and Lynn:

Thanks for a great laugh!!  Unfortunately, out local Cracker Barrel parking lot is not level.

The reason to level the camper before attaching the linear levels to the front and side of the camper is that it is much easier to get them on correctly, rather than trying to guess how far off level to mount them to make them and the camper  level when it reads level.

By the way, what is the difference in a door partially open and partially closed???  ;D

By the way, what is the difference in a door partially open and partially closed???  ;D

That's easy -- in the former, the door is not yet all the way open, and in the latter, it hasn't yet been fully closed.  ::) 8) ;D ;D

Larry N. said:
That's easy -- in the former, the door is not yet all the way open, and in the latter, it hasn't yet been fully closed.  ::) 8) ;D ;D

Ya, what he said  ;D You must be a glass half empty kinda guy  ;)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom