Bearing Buddy Malfunction! (Or...where'd my buddy go....?)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kbfeip

Hey folks....looking for some input!

I have a 1990 Regal boat with a single axle trailer.  I keep losing the Bearing Buddy on one side.  (Not just the bra...the whole thing)  I purchased a new set of Red Eye bearing protectors 'cause I liked some of the features, tapped it in with my handy rubber mallet, filled er' up with premium marine grade wheel bearing grease, and took off down the road. 

Didn't get more than 10 miles and the darn thing disappeared again! 

Somehow, the hub must have gotten misshapen, wallowed out, etc. 

Any suggestions as to a remedy so that I can keep the next one on?  I thought about tape around the circumference to increase the diameter slightly, filing a knurled pattern, etc.

I'm hopeful that someone out there has had a similar experience and can guide me.

Here are some posts that I located on another forum......Thoughts?

SUBJECT: # 11759: Bearing Buddy Falls out

Submitted by Ronbo (65.12.15.101) from NORTH CAROLINA on 3/6/2006 6:48:00 PM

I replaced the wheel bearings in my trailer during the winter and now the port side Bearing Buddy keeps coming loose. I tap it in and it seats all the way. I even tried a few dots of Loc-Tite to see if that would help. I am not sure what else to try short of welding the sucker in there. I already lost two Bearing Buddy's because of this problem so it could get expensive. Has anyone else ever had this problem or might have a suggestion as to ending my frustration?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

3/6/2006 7:37:00 PM Submitted by Alex from GA (66.168.200.77) from GA says Hub.
Drill and tap your hub for a 1/4-20 set screw to hold that sucker in. It's easy and takes about 10 minutes. I give credit to Thom in WV for the tip.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

3/6/2006 10:02:00 PM Submitted by whnigt (65.65.56.133) from TX says also try
Take the bearing buddy out. Take a center punch and put four dents in the buddy from the inside out. It will make a raised bump on the outside of the buddy which will hold it in place. My brother told me this he has done it and I have done it and it works. Also you can add a litte high temp lock-tight by 3-m to the buddy.

3/7/2006 6:09:00 AM Submitted by 203DCX from CA says Yup, happened to me too --
right after changing bearings. Re-checked the bearings and found the one that kept losing the bearing buddy had not seated properly during the install. The bearing was loose, retightened the bearing, reinstalled the bearing buddy - no more problems. Recheck your wheel bearings for tightness, may work for you. Good Luck,
Jim

3/7/2006 7:14:00 AM Submitted by mkspw (152.163.100.65) from OH says buddy bearings
Jack the trailor up and check for too much play in the wheel bearings. It seems that new bearings will wear in or something after a few miles leaveing the bearings with more play than needed

3/7/2006 7:38:00 AM Submitted by Ronbo (65.12.15.101) from NC says Great suggestions
Wow great suggestions I had not thought of either of those. I have already had the wheel back off the trailer to check the bearings (that was the first thing I tought too) to make sure they are in all the way. The bearing buddy seats on all the way it just isn't quite tight enough. Not really sure why but either a punch or a set screw should work nicely. Thanks again.

3/8/2006 12:41:00 PM Submitted by GaryJ (24.3.32.182) from WV says Bearing Buddy
I had the same thing happen. Was able to take a lagre machinist hammer. Placed the rounded end in the bearing buddy and tapped it with another hammer, it spread the bearing buddy perfectly, and made a good fit.

3/9/2006 5:28:00 PM Submitted by scott (66.32.86.81) from AL says new hub
I had the same problem and I had to replace the hub about $40.

3/10/2006 3:59:00 PM Submitted by andy (128.143.61.214) from LA says take a look at your hub/bearings...
This happened to me - in my case the bearings were shot, I'm guessing in your case the nut may not be quite tight enough, the hubis wobbling and throwing the BB.

3/14/2006 12:14:00 AM Submitted by Curtis (68.99.3.160) from IA says bearing & balance
That happened to me, I took it to a shop, they redid the bearing and balanced the wheels and that solved it...

First: If they are the proper size I have a pair of bearing buddies.

I really do not like making this suggestion but have you thought of this,  First clean out the hub, get rid of the grease as much as possible (Why will become obvious in a bit  Drill 3 holes equa distand around the hub outside to inside, about 1/2 the distance in from the edge the bearing buddies penetrate.  install bearing buddies,  Center punch each hole so you can continue to drill into the bearing buddies.

Now tap the holes in the BB's and slightly over size the holes in the hub

Then THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT, Clean out all metal shavings and such, BE VERY SURE TO GET THEM ALL.

Install the BB's with the holes lined up, insert screws just long enough with a bit of locktite applied,  let sit 4 hours, grease it up

Back
Top Bottom