ONAN EMERALD III GENSET ISSUES

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tucsonscott

MODEL 6.5 NHE IR/ 26100A in a 1987 Fleetwood Bounder
Why do i need to hold the choke to start generator?
Lights are very bright even when both air conditioners are on. Is that normal?
Switch inside RV will not shut unit off, Bad connection?
I bought the unit with 50 gallons of bad gas in it. I had to empty the tank, change the fuel lines, put in new filters, put in a new rear unit fuel pump, change the in-line fuel filter for the generator, had a friend change the oil in the filter, he also messed with the carburetor and replaced something that  looked like  a Spring and apparently had 120 V running through it near the carburetor.

The choke alters the air/fuel ratio by reducing the air intake, thus making the mixture relatively richer (more fuel in it). It's fairly normal to choke an cold engine, but if it always needs the choke to start, you may have carburetor problem that reduces the fuel flow.  If the fuel flow is less than it was designed for, then air flow needs to be reduced to match, so choking it works. Since your friend mucked with the carb, most anything is possible,

The lighting is all 12v, so runs off the converter/charger or battery.  However, if the genset voltage is high (much above 120v), then the converter will alos put out high DC voltage and the lights will be brighter than when using battery or shore power.

The switch needs some further troubleshooting. Could be anything from a bad switch to a broken or disconnected wire. 

When I was a young man......
I worked for a while in "Small Engine" (Chain saw) repair.

First start of the day you used the choke and may have to pull ye old rope as much as 3 times, if you pulled it 4 it needed work.

After that.... Well I also worked in roofing,  Kid across the street had been trying for like half an hour to start the old lawn mower.. We ran low on nails in our apron pouches so I climbed down, put a box of nails on the platform of our power ladder and looking at the kid, flipped the shorting bar off the plug (how you turned it off) and using just two fingers pulled the rope.. ONCE.. no choke. 

Then stepped on the pedal (Engaging the clutch) and up the ladder went the nails.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom