Surge protector and adapter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Humanaquarian

Getting the Progressive Industries surge protector thanks to a search on this site. We have a 30amp unit and was wondering about camp sites having 30 amp service or is it mostly 50amp? Can I put an adapter that will make this work if this is the case? Any brand recommendations?

Humanaquarian said:
Getting the Progressive Industries surge protector thanks to a search on this site. We have a 30amp unit and was wondering about camp sites having 30 amp service or is it mostly 50amp? Can I put an adapter that will make this work if this is the case? Any brand recommendations?

Why don't you just buy a 50 Amp surge protector. That way all you need to do is use a adapter to go from 50 to 30 and if you ever go to a bigger RV with 50 Amp, you'll be ready with the surge protector.
Every CG I've been to if it had 50, it also had 30 and 20 Amp outlets. I think using a 50 Amp outlet may give you a better electrical connection because it probably hasn't been used as much as a 30 Amp outlet.

So either way I?ll need the adapter. You either use it at the rig or the supply. My concern was can you go 30 to a 50 supply with an adapter? Not really good at electrics...
Thanks for the advice.

Thanks! Getting ready for the weekend, I might be keeping you retired folk busy with newbie questions. I appreciate your insight and I do use the search function quite often, so I keep it at a minimum.

Humanaquarian said:
Thanks! Getting ready for the weekend, I might be keeping you retired folk busy with newbie questions. I appreciate your insight and I do use the search function quite often, so I keep it at a minimum.
I'm right there with ya, this is our first RV of any kind. I've been working these guys hard for a couple three years now. They are very patient! Like you said, do as much research as you can before asking. Most every topic has been discussed on this forum in the past.
Good luck!
Jeff

Unless you plan to "Upgrade" the RV soon (in which case get the bigger more expensive 50 amp model) match the Protector/EMS to your RV 30 amp 30 amp.

WHY.. Well there is one SLIGHT advantage to the 50 amp in that is has more and bigger MOV's (Spike suppressors) but you can add those (Common hardware store "surge strips") way cheaper than the 50 amp model.

Yes, you can use a 50a to 30 amp adapter.  I had one when I had a 30 amp RV.  I bought an adapter to go to a 50a only park. But it turned that they had 30a also. BUT I also went to places that the 30a receptacle was burnt out and used the 50a receptacle without problem. There are many more 30a rvs and 30a receptacles get abused by plugging in with the circuit breaker on and heavy loads on in the rv.
I would buy the 30 amp pi unit and a 50a to 30a adapter.

Humanaquarian said:
Please explain ?plugging in with the circuit breaker on? if you would.

Simple answer DON"T DO IT. Never plug in or unplug from the power supply with the circuit breaker on the pedestal on. It will cause damage to the connectors on your plug and in the receptacle on the pedestal. This will increase resistance and cause added heat at the plug. I have helped change plugs that had gotten nearly hot enough to catch fire. now this doesn't happen on the first time but is calmative. In reality you might see discolored spots and rough areas from arcing the first time.
When you are looking for a surge Guard this is the one I recommend.https://www.amazon.com/Surge-Guard-34830-Portable-Display/dp/B00T36Q7R2/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1520813283&sr=8-4&keywords=surge+guard+rv&dpID=31USiGI2u7L&preST=_SX300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch
Do not buy the "entry level" ones. This one will save you from bad power as well as low and hi voltage.
Low voltage does as much or more damage than a hi spike. On the first trip with my current coach I was trying to get buy with out a Surge Gard. One low power event cost me a circuit board for the washer. The Surge Guard would have been cheaper.
Where are you going on your first trip?
Bill

WILDEBILL308 said:
When you are looking for a surge Guard this is the one I recommend.https://www.amazon.com/Surge-Guard-34830-Portable-Display/dp/B00T36Q7R2/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1520813283&sr=8-4&keywords=surge guard rv&dpID=31USiGI2u7L&preST=_SX300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch
Do not buy the "entry level" ones. This one will save you from bad power as well as low and hi voltage.

I'd have to agree with this. For years I ran with no surge protector at all and, lucky for me, never had a problem. With my current rig I got the hundred dollar ish dogbone version. I had an issue just about 4 months ago at a high end RV park in AZ. I was away from the rig for a few hours and when I go back discovered I'd been zapped. Best theory is there was a bad neutral at the post and I went way, and I mean way overvoltage (when I got in the rig the voltmeter indicated 238). Took out my inverter/charger, microwave and the surge suppressor. I have a temporary but within an month will be installing the hardwire version of the one WILDEBILL suggests.

WILDEBILL308 said:
Simple answer DON"T DO IT. Never plug in or unplug from the power supply with the circuit breaker on the pedestal on. It will cause damage to the connectors on your plug and in the receptacle on the pedestal. This will increase resistance and cause added heat at the plug. I have helped change plugs that had gotten nearly hot enough to catch fire. now this doesn't happen on the first time but is calmative. In reality you might see discolored spots and rough areas from arcing the first time.
When you are looking for a surge Guard this is the one I recommend.https://www.amazon.com/Surge-Guard-34830-Portable-Display/dp/B00T36Q7R2/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1520813283&sr=8-4&keywords=surge+guard+rv&dpID=31USiGI2u7L&preST=_SX300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch
Low voltage does as much or more damage than a hi spike. On the first trip with my current coach I was trying to get buy with out a Surge Gard. One low power event cost me a circuit board for the washer. The Surge Guard would have been cheaper.
Where are you going on your first trip?
Bill

I'm not much of a lectrician. What makes the one you suggest better than this one?  https://www.amazon.com/dp/B015Y9MX38/ref=psdc_2504395011_t1_B00T36Q7R2

99dart said:
I'm not much of a lectrician. What makes the one you suggest better than this one?  https://www.amazon.com/dp/B015Y9MX38/ref=psdc_2504395011_t1_B00T36Q7R2

The Progressive Industries is warranteed for life if it should fail because of a power surge. That's one of the reasons I purchased one from PI.

I spend some coin and got the PI, I feel it?s a wise investment. Still unclear about the circuit breaker.. is it located on the supply end? Remember I?m  a total newb and I?m used to primitive camping!

Also, someone asked where we?re going... Bennett Spring SP here in good ol MO. Trout fishing at its finest. A great maiden voyage.

The campground power pedestal where you plug in will have a breaker for each connector, I.e. 50amp and 30amp. Plug your PI protector in THEN turn the breaker on. If the breaker is in the "on" position when you arrive turn it off before you plug in your PI.
My PI portable will run a series of tests on the power supply, for 60-90 seconds and then give me the all clear. E0 is the code I believe for the all clear.
Then plug your power cord into the PI unit.
Easy peasy!

"Then plug your power cord into the PI unit."
Don't do that.  Plug the cord into the protector before you plug the protector into the pedestal.  Then  turn the circuit breaker at the pedestal on. The point is that you should avoid plugging your plugs into a "live circuit.  The PI unit will turn the power on once it determines that the power is okay.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7mark7
Back
Top Bottom