Inside battery placement

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mp funfinder

Considering upgrading batteries and the placement of new batteries. I know batteries should not be in a living space, but plan on going with a sealed agm battery. Right or wrong? The reasoning is that i have a good area under my bench seat that would be in close proximity to my load center, as well as good access to a future run for solar to the roof etc. Don't really want to use the standard placement just behind the hitch on the front of the camper. Too long of a run for charger, solar and possible inverter down the road, with voltage drop and cable expense.

Thoughts? Ideas on what others have done? 21 foot Cruzer RV funfinder X

Thank you

I am no expert, but that sounds decent. 

Note, however, that they DO need vented.  My Miata has the AGM battery in the enclosed trunk, with a small rubber tube connected to the battery and running out of the trunk.  This is very different than needing an entire vented compartment!

Lance trailers have internal battery locations. One on each side above the pass thru storage.  They do need vented and I am sure Lance has taken care of that.  For any other trailer, not sure it is worth it unless one steps up to the high ticket Lithium Ion batteries.  They can be stored anywhere in the trailer with no issues.  And they require no maintenance, can be monitored on one's smart phone via bluetooth and an app, and are half the weight of lead acid batteries.  A normal person can carry two, one in each hand, and walk a considerable distance before feeling the strain.  They weigh in at 28 lb each for 100ah batteries.  Neat thing, they can be taken right to the bottom on the charge and not be hurt, whereas lead acid should not be taken below 50%.  And the LI batteries have internal charge controllers so they are very friendly with solar.  And they will charge full very quickly.  One can feed them up to 100 amps charging without hurting them.  And they are rated for a minimum 3000 charge cycles. If treated properly, even more, up to 5000 charge cycles.  No lead acid battery comes close.

I was hoping to change to Lithium batteries, looking for at least 300 AH to pair with the 3KW inverter, but WOW, the price! $1,000 +/- for that 100AH battery.

Lithium ion is the only way to go if you place them inside no harmful gas to vent. Get at least 2 and parallel them. They cost less when you consider how many recharge cycles they can withstand. Should last 10 years or more.

Back
Top Bottom