Onan Generator

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Deano2002

I have a Emerald III 6500 Onan generator, we we first bought this motorhome I noticed the exhaust smelled like it was burning oil and it was, not visible but, the smell and I had to add oil after so many hours of use (didn't rally check how many hours). Now days I do not smell what I use to and it's not using much if any oil. Where the valve guide seals hard due to lack of use or was one of the rings stuck? Not complaining, just wondering

I can't say for certain about rings or valve seals. But, it sounds like it hadn't been run in a long time and you running it loosened up whatever was sticking. If you haven't changing the oil already, I would do so now. Keep an eye (and nose) on it.Hopefully it runs for years for you

thanks, it had sat for some time but not sure if it was a year or 5 years, it needed a carb rebuild which I did and has run from then on. I have put maybe 30 hours on it over the last three years. I have changed the oil and filter along with all the other maintenance items but, looks like I should change oil and filter due to the color of the oil

Deano2002 said:
well, it doesn't look like new oil. Black oil needs to be changed, especially on an air cooled engine so, you sure can tell oil condition by color of oil unless it's a diesel

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom