A Union of Nonsmokers?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mike (ex-f-221)

Since I registered I saw a lot of your pictures here in the forum. But I never saw a pic with someone holding a cigarette and smoking. Is smoking not so popular in the USA? - I mean smoking outdoor.
(I had my last cigarette 08/06/2004 at 11pm. Don't miss it and don't get violent seeing or smelling someone smoking near me. Lucky me!)

Mike (ex-f-221) said:
Is smoking not so popular in the USA? - I mean smoking outdoor.

If I were to guess, I'd say that a good percentage of those on the forum were smokers at one time and I'm sure that some still do. 

I quit 25 years ago after trying to quit for many years. 

Smoking is a lot less popular than it used to be in many ways.  Of the people that I know, while many used to smoke, there are only a few who still do.  At a recent breakfast of retirees from where I used to work,  I was surprised when, after we got outside, the guy who was my first supervisor lit up.  Since smoking is not allowed inside the restaurant, I had not seen him smoke since I started going to the breakfasts.

In Arkansas, smoking is prohibited indoors in virtually all places of business. When we were in Texas, it sounded a little strange when a hostess at a restaurant asked us, "Smoking or non-smoking?"

I'm not sure if popularity has anything to do with it anymore.  Awareness of the consequences, and I think for a lot of people, just the high price has encouraged a lot of people to quit.  At over $3.00 a pack, and over $30.00 for a carton of cigarettes, that can make for a lot of gas you could be buying rather than killing yourself.  I also am a ex-smoker.  I quit on September 11th, 1992.  Had my last one in the eye of Hurricane Iniki in Hawaii.  Nothing special about it, it just happened to coincide with the morning I woke up and said "I just don't need this anymore".  Have never looked back.

Perhaps those who have never smoked and those of us who quit many years ago have just outlived the smokers.

At over $3.00 a pack,

I had to laugh at snother one of those comments at overpriced items in the US  ;D

Cigarettes in the UK are now $10.00 for a pack !! (majority is tax) - and people STILL smoke (although many get them from smugglers).

JULY 1ST sees the start of our Smoking Ban in England.

No Smoking in any public building (or public transport).

How nice it will be to enjoy a pint without all the fumes to go with it.

Paul

Paul,

If the ban on smoking in public places has a significant impact on the number of folks giving up smoking, the UK government is going to have to replace the lost (tax) revenue in order to balance the budget. If they increase the tax on booze, that smoke-free pint won't be so enjoyable. If they increase tax on fuel, you'll be looking for a smaller RV.

While the short term loss in tax revenues may happen, there are long term savings in health care that will offset.  And the value of a smoke free environment, priceless :)

Smoking is a disgusting dirty and unhealthy habit and fortunately many one time smokers has recognized the health issues smoking brings with it.  Yes I smoked and started while I was a teenager thinking it was cool.  I realized just how bad it is BEFORE the surgeon General figured it out an quite in the 60/s ;D ;D  I believe very few of the members here still smoke and for us that is a very good thing.  Like Ned said maybe the non smokers are just outliving the smokers.

I quit in 1964 when a pack went to 25 Cents and wife said as I smoked the last of a pack, that when we kissed, it was like licking an ashtray.  I quit on the spot and since then when,  people that smoke, exhale,  near me, I realize what she means. JMHO

I agree with you Ned. Since England has a goverment sponsored health care system even if the tax on cancer sticks was a the equivlent of a buck a smoke ($20 a pack) and smuggling was zero so everyone paid the full tax (Or smugglers were 100% caught and charged tripple tax for ever coffin nail they smuggled in even if it was destroyed) the government would save big time every time a smoker quit.

Somking is a major cause of early death, and where as some folks "Break Even' (Song reference, song title /The Gambler/,  line "The best that you can hope for is to die in your sleep")

Smokers often have slow, lingering, medically EXPENSIVE, deaths.

Any savings in UK health care costs will be long term and will be unlikely to prevent alternative taxes being imposed, even if realized in a shorter time. Just my experience from living in the UK for 32 years. Every year the CoE announces the annual budget on, what else, "budget day". The entire nation is caught up in anticipation. It's never if there will be increases in tax on fuel, tobacco and alcohol - they're a given, but how much.

Meanwhile, the NHS (social medicine) is broken and has been for many years. If every smoker in the UK quit tomorrow, it won't save the system.

I quit May 5, 1981. Glad I did because there's no way I could afford smoking AND an RV. Shoot, at 2 packs a day, $3+ a pack, I could pay for the RV with what I've saved not smoking. Not to mention it's a whole lot easier to clean the RV and house and Mike doesn't have to "kiss an ashtray" any more.

BTW, $3 a pack is a low price estimate. I was in a 7-11 the other day and the kid in front of me bought a pack of Marlboro's, handed the cashier a $5 bill and she had to ask him for more.....cost of a pack at a C-store was $5.35 .... OUCH.

Wendy

Back to Mike's original comment ....

Mike (ex-f-221) said:
...I never saw a pic with someone holding a cigarette and smoking.

Even if lots of people smoked, holding a cigarette in a photo would be somewhat tacky.

Tom said:
Back to Mike's original comment ....Even if lots of people smoked, holding a cigarette in a photo would be somewhat tacky.

Better to be seen in a photo holding a glass of wine!

Betty

Ouch that's crunchy

LOL Shayne. I just got done fixing one of the trash compactors in the kitchen. Chris shoves anything and everything in there and I cringe when I hear the crunch & smash sounds. One of the units was stuck with the ram down and I had visions of big $$ for the repair guy, Decided to open it up and found it had thrown a chain, so an easy fix and saved a few $$.

Wish I had a compactor in the coach  :(

I hear that'  Been there done that.;  Never gets easier.  I just got heQQ for having too many toys.  Insurances on 3 cars here and 2 back at the daughter's  MH 2 trailers, 2 golf carts, 2 houses  Ain't bad for a guy on SS .  Wish I could afford it.  Guess something has to go.  Probably me.  Now the grandson just called and had his $3500 Racing bike stolen and we just bought him a car, paid for his 1st year of college.  Granddaughter needs $1500 to repair her car. And $7500 for beauty School.  Where does it end?  I didn't answer the wife when she was standing beside me chewing on my ear.  Think I'll finish this and head for the pool and hot tub, while I can sneak out the back door.  I hope.  Maybe this trip I can find another Flying J and keep going and turn the phones off.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dmac3003
Back
Top Bottom