Surge Protector, Voltage Regulator & Autoformer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

James & Erin

Humanaquarian said:
Getting the Progressive Industries surge protector thanks to a search on this site. We have a 30amp unit and was wondering about camp sites having 30 amp service or is it mostly 50amp? Can I put an adapter that will make this work if this is the case? Any brand recommendations?

While touching partly on my question I didn't want to highjack Humanaquarian's post.  From searches on these forums it appears some form of surge protection is highly recommended, with Progressive Industries topping the list.  Thus, it is my plan to get this for my rig:  Progressive Industries HW50C.

I was also contemplating getting a Voltage Regulator, either this one or any other that comes with an endorsement from the members here. 

I have a few questions:
[list type=decimal]
[*]Do I look for a hardwired voltage regulator or it is better to have the style with the plugs?
[*]Should I also add an "Autoformer" or is that unnecessary/optional?
[*]If I do end up getting an "Autoformer"; what manufacturer does everyone recommend?
[/list]

Thanks!

Autoformer is simply a brand name for a voltage regulator product. Choose the TRC product or the Hughes Autoformer brand, but not both.

Do you have reason to believe you will camp where the voltage is sometimes low, i.e. under about 107vac? The HW50C will detect and protect against low voltage, so you only need an Autoformer-like product if you will be in a park with low voltage and need to keep power on.  By the way, voltage problems are rare on a 50A hook-up. It's mostly older parks and 30A connections that can be dicey.

Okay, got it - glad I asked. 

No reason to believe I will be camping where the voltage will be low, just like to be prepared. 

The voltage regulator (or Hughes autoformer) offers two or 3 forms of protection

1: Spike supression, no conflict with the spike supressors in the HW-50c unless you really go ridicoulus you can not have too much Spike supression.

2: Low voltage CORRECTION The HW-50C also protects against low voltage but by shutting you down, this does it by boosting the voltage hence Hugh's name "AutoFormer" a combination of "Automatic" and "Transformer". 

3:Some versions (I do not know if the TRC product is one) also REDUCE high voltages  Again the HW-50C protects by shutting you down.

Thus they both do the same things but by different means, and they do NOT conflict if wired properly
I would line 'em up like this

Park----Regulator---_HW-50C---RV

That way if you are on the end of a loop, getting say 100 volts, the Regulator or Autoformer will "Boost" it as much as 15% and all operates. but if it continues to drop say to 84 volts (I have seen that) well 15% is not enough boost so the HW-will cut you offl

Also if you select "long delay" on the HW-50c.. it protects against what  call power BLINKS.

A short (like 1-5 seconds) power fail.. Very hard, Very very hard, on air conditioners and  residential type Refrigerator compressors.

John From Detroit said:
I would line 'em up like this

Park----Regulator---_HW-50C---RV

Won't the Regulator between the pedestal and the HW50C throw off any diagnostic reads I would get from the HW50C? 

I think I see what you're saying in your diagram - any high or low voltage outside of the regulator's range would be handled by the HW50C - anything within its range would be covered; whereas, if they were reversed the HW50C would shut us down before the regulator got a chance to make a correction.  Am I following that right?

Yes it will but.. .. IT won't.

THe  VOLTAGE provided to the RV is what comes out of the regulator. not the pedestal.  IF the park is only feeding you say 100 volts. the Regulator will take it up to say 115.. BUT if you put the HW-50 BEFORE the regulator you get NOTHING.

Thus you need the regulator first.

If the Regulator is boosting then the current reading will be off. as the current draw fronm teh park will be higher. (15% or actually a bit nore).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom