Boondocking in a TT

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jackiemac

Site Team
We would like to reduce our costs and be out in the wilderness a bit more so are considering doing more Boondocking.

However, as we have a TT we would be planning on unhitching and then going out for the day in the truck.  This leads me to wonder how safe it is to leave your TT on its own (with a hitch lock) out in the wilds.

I wonder if the chances of being broken into or the TT being stolen are higher when there is potentially no one around or am I just being a bit silly??

We mainly boondock and use a hitch lock but no other precautions for the trailer.  We do lock our generators up.  If someone wants something badly enough, all the locks in the world won't stop them.  I always tell my husband that we are insured enough to be able to enjoy ourselves.  We take reasonable precautions and hope karma takes care of the rest. :eek: ;D

I honestly think you are much safer way out in the wilderness, than in a crowded trailer park, as far as theft goes. The thieves need to be a lot more organized and a lot more brazen. I would worry less about theft and a bit more (but not much) about crazy people, personally.

While it's no impossible, it is highly unlikely that someone would hitch up to your TT and pull it away.  There aren't that many other vehicles that pass your location when boon docking. And those that do, aren't looking to steal a TT.

We worry when boondocking, but have never (knock on wood) had anything stolen or had trouble with unfriendly people. We have pulled into a few places and turned right around, because "it didn't feel right" and moved on to the next boondocking site. Use common sense and you should be OK, follow your instincts.

I'd guress a TT would be a less desirable target for theft that a large 5th wheel or class A. A TT may be easier to "hook up and drive off" though. But I have no fact to support this purely personal opinion. :)

After comments above, we may get a wheel lock to go along with our hitch lock.

Thanks

An easy way to secure your trailer is to run a cable thru the spokes of one wheel, then over the axle and back thru the spokes in another wheel and lock it with a good padlock.

I did this when I left the Stacker overnight at the Graphics company in Phoenix.

Inexpensive solution and you can use the cable for other things.

Hi Jackie,
I have been on the road for 9 months and mostly boondocking. I am gone a lot during the day. So far I haven?t had any problems.

Debra17 said:
Hi Jackie,
I have been on the road for 9 months and mostly boondocking. I am gone a lot during the day. So far I haven?t had any problems.
Good to know thanks Debra.

Hi jackiemac,

While I wouldn't worry a lot about it for a short period of time, if you are only going to be gone for just the day, locking the hitch is the one good thing you could do. I like the idea of a wheel lock.

One idea, (but would take a little effort & take up space) is to make a manican or dummy and perch in the window for all to see. Maybe turn on a light so a silhouette shows through. You may be able to have a manican head in some stuffed shirt cloths. I know it sounds extreme. Also, sound recordings that will activate with a motion sensor, to give the idea someone is around.

I'm available on Saturdays  ;D      I've also been up too long tonight.

How do you know whereyou can boondock?  I mean are there designated areas just for campers wanting to boondock?  Im interested in saving some money on an upcoming trip to grand canyon.

jackiemac said:
I wonder if the chances of being broken into or the TT being stolen are higher when there is potentially no one around or am I just being a bit silly??

Take reasonable precautions and enjoy yourself. Don't lose sleep worrying. That is what insurance is for. 

denmarc said:
Take reasonable precautions and enjoy yourself. Don't lose sleep worrying. That is what insurance is for. 
Thanks Mark. That is our home when we visit so it would be a pain if anything happened. However I won't lose any sleep over it, life's too short for that! ?

How many times have you "boondocked" where there were no one else around the area?/ We do that extensively and rarely find a place completely to ourselves.>>>Dan ( Its a good thing)

Utclmjmpr said:
How many times have you "boondocked" where there were no one else around the area?/ We do that extensively and rarely find a place completely to ourselves.>>>Dan ( Its a good thing)
Dan, We've hardly done any, Steve did some when he and his brother and nephews were out for 2 weeks but not with me, think they were in a quiet place not sure how many folks they met.  We want to try more this year. Guess it's a case of try it and see. ?

Some people call the rustic section of a populated CG boondocking. No hookups. The pool and bathhouse are within walking distance.
Others like camping out in the wilderness. Such as myself. We've been awaken by the scream of a Screech Owl soaring through the campsite at 3AM. As well as a fawn deer meandering up to us in the middle of the afternoon while sitting around the campfire.
Nature is a wonderful thing.
Your perspective of boondocking is whatever you are comfortable with. Experiment a bit. The security of your stuff depends on what style of boondocking you decide on. As well as where.
You'll figure it out. The goal is to have fun doing so.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom