Boondocking in a TT

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
denmarc said:
Some people call the rustic section of a populated CG boondocking. No hookups. The pool and bathhouse are within walking distance.
Others like camping out in the wilderness. Such as myself. We've been awaken by the scream of a Screech Owl soaring through the campsite at 3AM. As well as a fawn deer meandering up to us in the middle of the afternoon while sitting around the campfire.
Nature is a wonderful thing.
Your perspective of boondocking is whatever you are comfortable with. Experiment a bit. The security of your stuff depends on what style of boondocking you decide on. As well as where.
You'll figure it out. The goal is to have fun doing so.
We,love wildlife so definitely the wilderness kind!

Peggyy said:
How do you know whereyou can boondock?  I mean are there designated areas just for campers wanting to boondock?  Im interested in saving some money on an upcoming trip to grand canyon.

Many national forests permit camping almost anyplace. Each forest will have their own swt of rules. Go to the web site for the individual national forest, and look up "dispersed camping." They may suggest some places, and will also tell you where it is not permitted. As an example, here is portion of that page for the Shoshone National Forest, where I frequently camp:

" Camping is free in the remote areas of the Shoshone and is a great way to get away from it all.

Many people enjoy the solitude and primitive experience of camping away from developed campgrounds. Dispersed camping means there are no toilets, tables, or drinking water. Follow these guidelines to ensure these areas can be enjoyed by future generations.

*  Campsites must be 200 feet from trails, lakes, or wet meadows and 100 feet from streams or creeks."

There are some additional restrictions, but you get the idea.

Joel

We often boondock and leave the trailer, I think you can summarize like this. Thieves are basically lazy and more likely to be in more populated areas, even close to their homes. Unless someone stubbles across your trailer and decides to break in its probably less likely than in your driveway. At the end of the day be careful about your surroundings and keep your insurance paid up then if you ever need it you are covered, Go and enjoy the experiences and have fun. 

Peggyy said:
How do you know whereyou can boondock?  I mean are there designated areas just for campers wanting to boondock?  Im interested in saving some money on an upcoming trip to grand canyon.

If you have an Android device, another useful tool to finding free or low-cost public campgrounds is the UC Public CG application. We have found a number of amazing free and low-cost public sites, including a free site in Grand Canyon, and another free site in Bryce Canyon. Those are not areas where free and camping ordinarily go together. ?

I'm not affiliated in any way with the authors of this product. I just find it an extremely useful tool.

Frank.

Frank B said:
If you have an Android device, another useful tool to finding free or low-cost public campgrounds is the UC Public CG application. We have found a number of amazing free and low-cost public sites, including a free site in Grand Canyon, and another free site in Bryce Canyon. Those are not areas where free and camping ordinarily go together. ?

I'm not affiliated in any way with the authors of this product. I just find it an extremely useful tool.

Frank.
I'm going to check that one out too Frank. Thanks.

Technomadia has an app that shows public lands. Also has GPS ability so you know where you are relative to public lands. Should be very useful for boondocking. I haven't tried it yet but will be soon.

http://www.twostepsbeyond.com/apps/uspubliclands/

Thanks.

Hugh

currinh said:
Technomadia has an app that shows public lands. Also has GPS ability so you know where you are relative to public lands. Should be very useful for boondocking. I haven't tried it yet but will be soon.

http://www.twostepsbeyond.com/apps/uspubliclands/

That sounded very interesting so I went to the App Store and had a look. The reviews aren't that great, apparently hasn't been updated in awhile and not as detailed info as is available elsewhere. Many complaints about accuracy with several users going so far as to comment that relying on it will likely get you arrested for trespassing, as private property is often shown inaccurately or not at all. Great idea but sounds like it needs work

Sun2Retire said:
.....apparently hasn't been updated in awhile and not as detailed info as is available elsewhere.
I'd be interested in the "available elsewhere" options. Have you heard of better solutions anywhere? Maybe some apps for hunting? I'll be lazy and ask rather than firing up Google and checking myself. :) I certainly liked the concept though.

Thanks.

Hugh

currinh said:
I'd be interested in the "available elsewhere" options. Have you heard of better solutions anywhere? Maybe some apps for hunting? I'll be lazy and ask rather than firing up Google and checking myself. :) I certainly liked the concept though.

I?m still looking also, which is why I said ?apparently?. I?ve read that Gaia GPS Premium version has a very good public land/hunting overlay (but it?s by subscription and I?m fighting the subscription software plague (I know, I?m going to lose...). I don?t understand why this is such a problem to find, my guess is there has been very little change for a long time. Apparently one can get very detailed paper maps from local government offices, not exactly convenient or GPS friendly.

I just downloaded one called ?US Public Land? that looks promising if it?s accurate

Sun2Retire said:
I just downloaded one called ?US Public Land? that looks promising if it?s accurate
This is the one I mentioned above. I haven't tried it and would like to hear your feedback once you take a look. It was developed for RV boondocking so should be tilted in the right direction.

Thanks.

Hugh

jackiemac said:
Try US topo maps app. There's a free version but paid one lets you save maps offline.
I've used BackCountry Navigator Pro which I think is similar to US Topo Maps. I think it was BackCountry Nav, we just today updated out cell service and phones and I seem to have lost it. I used it for hiking in Escalante. It worked well for hiking. I was able to download (to use offline) the topos for the area we were visiting. The scale would be good for boondocking info. It was a lot of data though to download these topos. I don't think it would be feasible to download maps for say "the western states". It had a number of map sources one could download, yes some on subscription. I don't remember what overlays they had or at what scale, some may show ownership boundaries. The topos I downloaded didn't clearly show boundaries. I'll have to figure out how to get it re-installed on my new phone.

There must be the perfect app out there.

Thanks.

Hugh

Sun2Retire said:
No, this is a different one; this isn?t Technomadia?s
I poked around for a few minutes but couldn't find another app called "US Public Land". I keep finding Technomadia's (Two Steps Beyond) app. Can you point me to it? Thanks.

Poking around I found a blurb around Gaia GPS having a public lands overlay. This looks pretty good also, but I haven't downloaded it.

Thanks.

Hugh

currinh said:
I poked around for a few minutes but couldn't find another app called "US Public Land". I keep finding Technomadia's (Two Steps Beyond) app. Can you point me to it? Thanks.

Attached is a screenshot of the app in the iOS App Store

Attachments

• BFD1679A-D24D-4262-AA00-D2F0EAB6D395.jpeg
    BFD1679A-D24D-4262-AA00-D2F0EAB6D395.jpeg
    113.5 KB · Views: 21
We have been broken into or items stolen three times.  Each time was in a gated storage yard with security.
Never had any problems at all while boondocking.  We lock the gennie and bikes to the rear of the rig and throw a camo tarp over them (a couple yards of camo cloth from the Walmart fabric Dept), so they are not obvious to anyone casually driving by.  The closest we ever came to a problem was when returned from being gone all day and a strange set of footprints was around our rig, but nothing was missing.  Most of the time we never see or hear anyone driving by.  We camp pretty far off the paved road and at the end of a secondary dirt road tucked into the trees.

dave54 said:
We have been broken into or items stolen three times.  Each time was in a gated storage yard with security.
Never had any problems at all while boondocking.  We lock the gennie and bikes to the rear of the rig and throw a camo tarp over them (a couple yards of camo cloth from the Walmart fabric Dept), so they are not obvious to anyone casually driving by.  The closest we ever came to a problem was when returned from being gone all day and a strange set of footprints was around our rig, but nothing was missing.  Most of the time we never see or hear anyone driving by.  We camp pretty far off the paved road and at the end of a secondary dirt road tucked into the trees.
Thanks Dave

HueyPilotVN said:
An easy way to secure your trailer is to run a cable thru the spokes of one wheel, then over the axle and back thru the spokes in another wheel and lock it with a good padlock.

I did this when I left the Stacker overnight at the Graphics company in Phoenix.

Inexpensive solution and you can use the cable for other things.

Bill, hard to imagine anyone dumb enough to attempt stealing the stacker. 

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozgal
Back
Top Bottom