rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Fridge Defend
RV Life Magazine RV Park Reviews RV Trip Wizard

Author Topic: Boondocking in a TT  (Read 3616 times)

jackiemac

• Forum Staff
  • ---
Boondocking in a TT
« on: March 13, 2018, 11:37:59 AM »
We would like to reduce our costs and be out in the wilderness a bit more so are considering doing more Boondocking.

However, as we have a TT we would be planning on unhitching and then going out for the day in the truck.  This leads me to wonder how safe it is to leave your TT on its own (with a hitch lock) out in the wilds.

I wonder if the chances of being broken into or the TT being stolen are higher when there is potentially no one around or am I just being a bit silly??

Jackie n Steve - Happy Scottish Travellers

2017 Heartland Sundance 288rls
2016 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4L Hemi

Travelling in US until 30th October 2018

Roadhappy

• ---
Re: Boondocking in a TT
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2018, 11:45:48 AM »
Sounds like a reasonable question to me.   :)
Robin & Charles
2008 30' Crossroads Cruiser Fifthwheel
2008 F250 Powerstroke

Back2PA

• Photo moderator
  • ---
  • (Formerly known as Sun2Retire)
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2018, 11:56:52 AM »
In addition to the hitch lock you might want to consider a wheel clamp
Scott
Fulltiming in a 2005 Newmar Dutch Star 3810, Spartan, Cat C7 350
Eezrv TPMS, 970W Solar, Tri-Metric Battery monitor
2002 Dodge RAM 1500 Quad Cab toad
Stowmaster towbar & Brakemaster toad braking system

kportra

• ---
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2018, 02:04:17 PM »
We mainly boondock and use a hitch lock but no other precautions for the trailer.  We do lock our generators up.  If someone wants something badly enough, all the locks in the world won't stop them.  I always tell my husband that we are insured enough to be able to enjoy ourselves.  We take reasonable precautions and hope karma takes care of the rest. :o ;D
2017 Heartland Prowler Lynx 18LX
2006 Dodge Ram 1500
Big Sky Country

captaindomon

• ---
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2018, 07:31:34 PM »
I honestly think you are much safer way out in the wilderness, than in a crowded trailer park, as far as theft goes. The thieves need to be a lot more organized and a lot more brazen. I would worry less about theft and a bit more (but not much) about crazy people, personally.

Lowell

• ---
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2018, 07:41:02 PM »
While it's no impossible, it is highly unlikely that someone would hitch up to your TT and pull it away.  There aren't that many other vehicles that pass your location when boon docking. And those that do, aren't looking to steal a TT.
Lowell

2005 Cherokee28A TT
pulled by 2009 Dodge 1500 Crew Cab 4X4
KF7YET

Tempe, Arizona

currinh

• ---
    • Currin's Website
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2018, 09:26:43 PM »
We worry when boondocking, but have never (knock on wood) had anything stolen or had trouble with unfriendly people. We have pulled into a few places and turned right around, because "it didn't feel right" and moved on to the next boondocking site. Use common sense and you should be OK, follow your instincts.

I'd guress a TT would be a less desirable target for theft that a large 5th wheel or class A. A TT may be easier to "hook up and drive off" though. But I have no fact to support this purely personal opinion. :-)

After comments above, we may get a wheel lock to go along with our hitch lock.

Thanks
Hugh
Klamath Falls, OR
2011 Escape '19
2018 RAM 2500 diesel
http://www.currin.us/Escaped-Doodles

HueyPilotVN

• ---
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2018, 11:29:39 PM »
An easy way to secure your trailer is to run a cable thru the spokes of one wheel, then over the axle and back thru the spokes in another wheel and lock it with a good padlock.

I did this when I left the Stacker overnight at the Graphics company in Phoenix.

Inexpensive solution and you can use the cable for other things.
Bill Waugh
40' Country Coach DP
2 Jeep Commanders
Mustang Bracket Race Car
Retired from the road to Lake Havasu after 35 years on the road

jackiemac

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2018, 04:23:22 AM »
Some great advice, thanks all!

Debra17

• ---
  • Fulltimer
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2018, 01:43:39 PM »
Hi Jackie,
I have been on the road for 9 months and mostly boondocking. I am gone a lot during the day. So far I havenít had any problems.
Debra & Misty, the cat
2017 Northwood Nash 17K
2015 Ford F250 Lariat
http://www.debsrvtravels.com

jackiemac

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2018, 02:36:52 PM »
Hi Jackie,
I have been on the road for 9 months and mostly boondocking. I am gone a lot during the day. So far I havenít had any problems.
Good to know thanks Debra.

camperAL

• ---
  • Back Into RV'ing
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2018, 04:38:11 AM »
Hi jackiemac,

While I wouldn't worry a lot about it for a short period of time, if you are only going to be gone for just the day, locking the hitch is the one good thing you could do. I like the idea of a wheel lock.

One idea, (but would take a little effort & take up space) is to make a manican or dummy and perch in the window for all to see. Maybe turn on a light so a silhouette shows through. You may be able to have a manican head in some stuffed shirt cloths. I know it sounds extreme. Also, sound recordings that will activate with a motion sensor, to give the idea someone is around.

I'm available on Saturdays  ;D      I've also been up too long tonight.
CamperAL (Indiana)
(2006 Coachmen Mirada 290 KS )

Peggyy

• ---
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2018, 07:17:51 AM »
How do you know whereyou can boondock?  I mean are there designated areas just for campers wanting to boondock?  Im interested in saving some money on an upcoming trip to grand canyon.
GMC Sierra 2012
2016 Jayco Jay Flight SLX 264BHW Travel Trailer
Winter Springs, Florida😀

jackiemac

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2018, 07:48:51 AM »
Check our Campendium.com Peggy.

Also national forest land has spots often with fire ring.

jackiemac

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2018, 07:50:08 AM »
CamperAl what a good idea!! I might get a Tailor's dummy on eBay.  I'll give you a shout  ;D

denmarc

• ---
  • Did you say camping?
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2018, 11:22:31 AM »
I wonder if the chances of being broken into or the TT being stolen are higher when there is potentially no one around or am I just being a bit silly??

Take reasonable precautions and enjoy yourself. Don't lose sleep worrying. That is what insurance is for. 

Mark

1994 Jayco Eagle 370FB on 24 acres of paid off paradise in Michigan.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.
Dr. Seuss

jackiemac

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2018, 11:54:50 AM »
Take reasonable precautions and enjoy yourself. Don't lose sleep worrying. That is what insurance is for. 

Thanks Mark. That is our home when we visit so it would be a pain if anything happened. However I won't lose any sleep over it, life's too short for that! 😃

Utclmjmpr

• ---
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2018, 04:33:05 PM »
 How many times have you "boondocked" where there were no one else around the area?/ We do that extensively and rarely find a place completely to ourselves.>>>Dan ( Its a good thing)
38' American Tradition 38TT/330 turbo Cummins
Jeep liberty 4 down
72 VW Baja 4 down
Cedar City, Utah
USAF vet. 59-63
The difference between intelligence & stupidity is: intelligence has it's limits
      Albert Einstein.

jackiemac

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2018, 07:03:49 PM »
How many times have you "boondocked" where there were no one else around the area?/ We do that extensively and rarely find a place completely to ourselves.>>>Dan ( Its a good thing)
Dan, We've hardly done any, Steve did some when he and his brother and nephews were out for 2 weeks but not with me, think they were in a quiet place not sure how many folks they met.  We want to try more this year. Guess it's a case of try it and see. 😀

denmarc

• ---
  • Did you say camping?
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2018, 10:55:41 AM »
Some people call the rustic section of a populated CG boondocking. No hookups. The pool and bathhouse are within walking distance.
Others like camping out in the wilderness. Such as myself. We've been awaken by the scream of a Screech Owl soaring through the campsite at 3AM. As well as a fawn deer meandering up to us in the middle of the afternoon while sitting around the campfire.
Nature is a wonderful thing.
Your perspective of boondocking is whatever you are comfortable with. Experiment a bit. The security of your stuff depends on what style of boondocking you decide on. As well as where.
You'll figure it out. The goal is to have fun doing so.
Mark

1994 Jayco Eagle 370FB on 24 acres of paid off paradise in Michigan.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.
Dr. Seuss

jackiemac

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2018, 05:52:08 PM »
Some people call the rustic section of a populated CG boondocking. No hookups. The pool and bathhouse are within walking distance.
Others like camping out in the wilderness. Such as myself. We've been awaken by the scream of a Screech Owl soaring through the campsite at 3AM. As well as a fawn deer meandering up to us in the middle of the afternoon while sitting around the campfire.
Nature is a wonderful thing.
Your perspective of boondocking is whatever you are comfortable with. Experiment a bit. The security of your stuff depends on what style of boondocking you decide on. As well as where.
You'll figure it out. The goal is to have fun doing so.
We,love wildlife so definitely the wilderness kind!

Great Horned Owl

• ---
  • Lake county, IL
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2018, 06:08:31 PM »
How do you know whereyou can boondock?  I mean are there designated areas just for campers wanting to boondock?  Im interested in saving some money on an upcoming trip to grand canyon.

Many national forests permit camping almost anyplace. Each forest will have their own swt of rules. Go to the web site for the individual national forest, and look up "dispersed camping." They may suggest some places, and will also tell you where it is not permitted. As an example, here is portion of that page for the Shoshone National Forest, where I frequently camp:

" Camping is free in the remote areas of the Shoshone and is a great way to get away from it all.

Many people enjoy the solitude and primitive experience of camping away from developed campgrounds. Dispersed camping means there are no toilets, tables, or drinking water. Follow these guidelines to ensure these areas can be enjoyed by future generations.

*  Campsites must be 200 feet from trails, lakes, or wet meadows and 100 feet from streams or creeks."

There are some additional restrictions, but you get the idea.

Joel
Joel & Dorothy
Retired electronics engineer. Avid photographer, paddler & birder.
2011 Silverado 2500HD, Duramax, 4x4,crew cab, 8' bed
Palomino Puma 253-FBS  27' 5th wheel
1994 19' Class B Horizon / Chevy

Gary31

• ---
« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2018, 01:31:15 PM »
We often boondock and leave the trailer, I think you can summarize like this. Thieves are basically lazy and more likely to be in more populated areas, even close to their homes. Unless someone stubbles across your trailer and decides to break in its probably less likely than in your driveway. At the end of the day be careful about your surroundings and keep your insurance paid up then if you ever need it you are covered, Go and enjoy the experiences and have fun.   
2015 Carbon 31 Toy Hauler
2013 F250 Lariat HD  4x4 Turbo Diesel
Toys-
2017 RZR S 900
2005 Honda Rancher

jackiemac

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2018, 03:40:25 PM »
Thanks Joel & Gary

Frank B

• ---
« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2018, 05:01:09 PM »

If you have an Android device, another useful tool to finding free or low-cost public campgrounds is the UC Public CG application. We have found a number of amazing free and low-cost public sites, including a free site in Grand Canyon, and another free site in Bryce Canyon. Those are not areas where free and camping ordinarily go together. 😊

I'm not affiliated in any way with the authors of this product. I just find it an extremely useful tool.

Frank.
Linux:  Free, open, elegant.
06 GMC 3500 Duramax crew/long pulling 2010 Arctic Fox 30U with 1700 lb Reese Titan Class 5.
1.2 kw solar

jackiemac

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2018, 05:53:21 PM »

If you have an Android device, another useful tool to finding free or low-cost public campgrounds is the UC Public CG application. We have found a number of amazing free and low-cost public sites, including a free site in Grand Canyon, and another free site in Bryce Canyon. Those are not areas where free and camping ordinarily go together. 😊

I'm not affiliated in any way with the authors of this product. I just find it an extremely useful tool.

Frank.
I'm going to check that one out too Frank. Thanks.

Frank B

• ---
« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2018, 06:23:34 PM »
And I had to look at campendium today as well. :-)
Linux:  Free, open, elegant.
06 GMC 3500 Duramax crew/long pulling 2010 Arctic Fox 30U with 1700 lb Reese Titan Class 5.
1.2 kw solar

currinh

• ---
    • Currin's Website
« Reply #27 on: May 03, 2018, 10:15:54 AM »
Technomadia has an app that shows public lands. Also has GPS ability so you know where you are relative to public lands. Should be very useful for boondocking. I haven't tried it yet but will be soon.

http://www.twostepsbeyond.com/apps/uspubliclands/

Thanks.

Hugh
Hugh
Klamath Falls, OR
2011 Escape '19
2018 RAM 2500 diesel

Back2PA

• Photo moderator
  • ---
  • (Formerly known as Sun2Retire)
« Reply #28 on: May 03, 2018, 11:36:08 AM »
Technomadia has an app that shows public lands. Also has GPS ability so you know where you are relative to public lands. Should be very useful for boondocking. I haven't tried it yet but will be soon.

http://www.twostepsbeyond.com/apps/uspubliclands/

That sounded very interesting so I went to the App Store and had a look. The reviews aren't that great, apparently hasn't been updated in awhile and not as detailed info as is available elsewhere. Many complaints about accuracy with several users going so far as to comment that relying on it will likely get you arrested for trespassing, as private property is often shown inaccurately or not at all. Great idea but sounds like it needs work
« Last Edit: May 03, 2018, 11:49:45 AM by Sun2Retire »
Scott
Fulltiming in a 2005 Newmar Dutch Star 3810, Spartan, Cat C7 350
Eezrv TPMS, 970W Solar, Tri-Metric Battery monitor
2002 Dodge RAM 1500 Quad Cab toad
Stowmaster towbar & Brakemaster toad braking system

currinh

• ---
    • Currin's Website
« Reply #29 on: May 03, 2018, 06:20:39 PM »
.....apparently hasn't been updated in awhile and not as detailed info as is available elsewhere.
I'd be interested in the "available elsewhere" options. Have you heard of better solutions anywhere? Maybe some apps for hunting? I'll be lazy and ask rather than firing up Google and checking myself. :-) I certainly liked the concept though.

Thanks.

Hugh
Hugh
Klamath Falls, OR
2011 Escape '19
2018 RAM 2500 diesel