TV Upgrade Complete

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mxdad777

We decided to update our 13 year old coach.  First on the list was the front TV.  I?m very happy with the way it turned out. Next the wife wants to replace the tile and carpet floor with laminate wood flooring.  I?m thinking this is going to be a major project.  Remove drivers and passenger seats, both couches, dealing with the slide outs, etc.  I think I?ll do some heavy research before tackling the floor. 

Attachments

• 7757D40D-0355-4D6F-8DA9-D5975ADA1488.jpeg
    7757D40D-0355-4D6F-8DA9-D5975ADA1488.jpeg
    48.9 KB · Views: 155
  • F7FBF3C4-1D43-477F-B11E-F456C92B21B0.jpeg
    F7FBF3C4-1D43-477F-B11E-F456C92B21B0.jpeg
    95.9 KB · Views: 174
Beautiful job on the TV. Looks awesome! :))

You did quality work.  8)

What size and kind of coach do you have?

Might want to rethink that floor. I've seen some really botched up jobs where slides and laminates are concerned.

However, it's possible to just leave the slides carpeted and do the rest of the floor.

Pulling out the front seats, that is a heavy duty chore. The seats are installed for staying put in the event of a crash. Mine were thru bolted and there was just no way to reach underneath without tearing out the underbody.

If the seats are on a different level, then consider leaving them be with the carpet. When I pulled out the carpet in my Class C, the front seats were on a level about 2 inches down, so I left the carpet there. So glad I did too. The engine was up front and that carpet helped insulate and keep the noise level down.

There was a stain between the seats on the carpet and I found a color coordinated memory foam bath mat that fit there perfectly and seemed to blend right in as an accent piece. The memory foam meant it never scrunched up like a regular throw rug on carpet might do. Later when I had the upholstery steam cleaned, they did that front bit of carpet and made it look new again, no need for the washable memory foam rug after that except my dog had become quite fond of it.  ::)

Even if seats are on same level, you can leave them be with carpet  and just use a metal strip to separate new flooring from old carpet. If I had known that stain could be so easily cleaned up, I wouldn't have bothered with the memory foam mat. I used a brass separator since the rest of my rig had a lot of brass but they make them in all types of finishes.  So it's possible to just cut across the carpet there and when the floor is installed, put the metal strip screwed down between floor and carpet area.

So in other words, you don't have to do the entire rig end to end side to side in laminate flooring. Maybe just do the main area and save yourself a ton of headaches.

Over the years I have gone sight-seeing at used RV dealers just to see what's out there in case I ever stumbled into another bargain. Which eventually I did find a super bargain on Craigslist, another story there. But while checking out used RV's I ran across many botched up laminate floors, mainly it was the slide area. I am sure it can be done correctly but it seems a lot of folks had trouble with the side area. Since the carpet in the slide area is likely to have a lot less use than the main center floor, it's worth thinking of leaving the carpet there.

In the 5th wheel I am renovating now, the carpet in the slide where this mammoth heavy duty 7 foot sofa with dual recliners is installed is going to remain with the original carpet. It's in great shape, it's certainly not a traffic area. It's easy enough to coordinate it with the final main flooring and just leave that ton of a sofa, with the carpet,  right where it is.  8)

Another thing to consider is the darkness of laminate and natural light. In my case, in the Class C,  I went from dark carpet to a very light abstract vinyl tile. The difference was amazing, the rig looked so much larger and since I enjoy natural light over electric lighting, I thoroughly enjoyed the nice light color in the flooring.

My rig had a lot of wood already and a laminate wood floor would have just made it appear darker and smaller.

You might be able to reach a happy compromise that isn't such a huge undertaking. You don't want to have your rig torn apart and watch camping season pass you by.

Craigslist is full of RV ads of rigs that are torn apart for upgrades that were never completed. Sadly many owners think they will recoup the costs of their half done efforts and it just doesn't work that way as is evidenced by the numerous project ads.

Good luck in whatever you choose, but think about how quick you may want to get on the road again before you end up with a rig in a million pieces and work undone.

I have a 2005 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 38? diesel pusher.  Everything is on the same level except the very back where the engine compartment is. I do agree that this will be a big project, so I don?t plan on starting it until late fall / winter.  In the meantime, I?ll be replacing the back TV and updating all the lighting to LED as well as replacing many of the lighting fixtures to more current looking ones.  These projects won?t take but a few days at a time.  Plenty of time for hitting the road.

Looks great! Our 08 Hurricane had CRT tv in cabinet similar to yours. Had a winch to hold it up!!!! Removed everything, cut cabinet bottom off 4" for better vision, built box in opening, installed arm type flat screen hanger and placed VHS and disc player with rack to hold movies in space. Put bumpers on back of flat screen where it contact cabinet, held in place with bungee cord. No way to post pics.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom