Gray water filling up at alarming rate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gbarro

We have our RV hooked up to city water. We have 2 gray water tanks, one for kitchen, one for bathroom & washer. We are not using the w/d or the shower, so the only gray water we are creating is from the bathroom sink. The gray tank is full (not just the sensor, actually full/overflowing) every day. What would cause this? Even our mobile repair guy is stumped. Any input is appreciated.

Shut off the city water and switch to the pump.  I'd bet you will find it kicking on frequently even when you're not using water.  If so, then you must have a leak into the grey tank.  Now where is the question.  It shouldn't be possible, but...

Do you have an RO Drinking water system?  If so they make huge amounts of waste water for each gallon of clean water used.

Why, since you are parked don't you leave the GRAY valve OPEN?

Molaker said:
Shut off the city water and switch to the pump.  I'd bet you will find it kicking on frequently even when you're not using water.  If so, then you must have a leak into the grey tank.  Now where is the question.  It shouldn't be possible, but...

I?d have to agree. Unless your rig has some sort of gray water flush system (which I?ve never heard of) the only way to get water in the gray tank is through a drain in the sink, shower or washer. Otherwise there is no physical connection that I know of between the fresh water (city or tank) and gray water tank. Where is it overflowing?

Welcome to the forum.  It may help latter on down the road, go into your profile and create a signature of yourself telling us a little bit about you.

Maybe your drain is partially blocked, not allowing a complete emptying of the tank.

Gbarro said:
We have our RV hooked up to city water. We have 2 gray water tanks, one for kitchen, one for bathroom & washer. We are not using the w/d or the shower, so the only gray water we are creating is from the bathroom sink. The gray tank is full (not just the sensor, actually full/overflowing) every day. What would cause this? Even our mobile repair guy is stumped. Any input is appreciated.

As far as I know, I've never heard of a gray tank overflowing. I've see them get so full that it backs up into the shower or tub. The only thing I could think of is the tank level sensors are giving you a false reading which is typical. Then (I hope I'm wrong) you have a leak in your tank. Maybe a sensor has popped out.  How old is the RV?

Where are you seeing the water overflowing? 

Rene T said:
As far as I know, I've never heard of a gray tank overflowing. I've see them get so full that it backs up into the shower or tub. The only thing I could think of is the tank level sensors are giving you a false reading which is typical. Then (I hope I'm wrong) you have a leak in your tank. Maybe a sensor has popped out.  How old is the RV?

I think you may be on to something Rene. The tank really isn't full and it's the fresh water tank that's overflowing. Possibly the same issue I've got (and haven't gotten to) where the city water is filling the fresh water tank either through a failed/dirty check valve in the pump or a failed fill check valve (the two theories I've been offered). The overflow comes from the fresh water tank overflow.

Unless your rig has some sort of gray water flush system (which I?ve never heard of)

LOL, Scott. You've led a sheltered RV life.  ;)  Most higher end coaches have flush systems for both gray & black tanks. But even that wouldn't explain a rapid fill of the gray unless a water supply was hooked to the flushing inlet.

Gary RV_Wizard said:
LOL, Scott. You've led a sheltered RV life.  ;)  Most higher end coaches have flush systems for both gray & black tanks.

:( I don't know if not being familiar with higher end coaches means "sheltered". Just driving my little Dutch Star around, only has a black tank flush. Guess I need to find a smaller pond so I can be a big fish again  ;)

When you empty the tank, do you get 30 - 40 gallons out each time? Or, building on lynnmor's thoughts, do you only get a few gallons out indicating you might have a clog somewhere?

I suspect Tom may have nailed it.  RO systems often produce 10 gal of waste water for every gallon of fresh water produced.

Sun2Retire said:

I think that may be the key to the problem. If the overflow is coming from underneath the RV then it's likely a back fill issue with the fresh tank. If it's backing up into the tub/shower then it's a grey tank plumbing issue.

I have had water pump problems from Day 1, which was six years ago.  Occasionally, if I am hooked up to city water, my fresh water tanks will fill and overflow.  I then turn off the city water tap and use only my pump, whihc works fine.  I believe I have a leak somewhere, and/or a hole in the pump membrane, but no one has ever been able to find it, so I live with it by nearly always relying on my pump. 

So, my question is are you absolutely sure it is the grey water tank that is overflowing?  Could it possibly be the fresh water tank?  I have had water flowing onto the ground to the point where a camp host has come and turned my water off at the faucet when I was not home. 

JudyJB said:
I have had water pump problems from Day 1, which was six years ago.  Occasionally, if I am hooked up to city water, my fresh water tanks will fill and overflow.  I then turn off the city water tap and use only my pump, whihc works fine.  I believe I have a leak somewhere, and/or a hole in the pump membrane, but no one has ever been able to find it, so I live with it by nearly always relying on my pump. 

So, my question is are you absolutely sure it is the grey water tank that is overflowing?  Could it possibly be the fresh water tank?  I have had water flowing onto the ground to the point where a camp host has come and turned my water off at the faucet when I was not home.
Ditto that. Mine also does that since it was new. I do the same thing, just turn the city water off and then use the pump for a while. I noticed the OP has replied back yet to this post so we may never know what the deal is........ ???

If the pump check valve is at fault, there's an easy $5 fix for that. Installing a check valve like this one on the outlet side of the pump will get it done. A sharp utility knife is the only tool needed. Or for a few more dollars, rebuild the check valve in the pump instead. This kit has everything needed for the common Shurflo 2088 pump check valve.

OP made this one post and then left the room. We may never know what his answer was.

keymastr said:
OP made this one post and then left the room. We may never know what his answer was.

Hate it when that happens. I wish everyone would get back to us after we try to help them even if we don't succeed.

Rene T said:

Our Motorhome definitely has a grey water tank overflow.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
traxster
Back
Top Bottom