Mounting a TV in the bedroom?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wijames2002

I want to but a TV in my bedroom but not sure how to mount it to the wall. My bedroom wall backs up to my shower and it has the AC and heating controls on it. I'm not sure of the construction of the wall. Any suggestions?

Do you have aluminum studs or wood? Get s stud finder, locate where your pipes are and stay away from them!

Humanaquarian said:
Do you have aluminum studs or wood? Get s stud finder, locate where your pipes are and stay away from them!

Not sure what kind of studs. I've been trying to find out without tearing apart a wall but may have to do that.

If your rig design allows, you could also mount from the ceiling if that is better suited to your room layout.

I mounted our bedroom TV using a standard mount attached through the side of a convenient cabinet.  Our cabinets are solid hardwood and I had no concern about it handling the weight.

wijames2002 said:
Not sure what kind of studs. I've been trying to find out without tearing apart a wall but may have to do that.

Just remove a outlet box, if there is one on that wall, and look inside

When I changed out my bedroom TV, I used a 1/2 in plumbing flange and hung it from the bottom of a cabinet.
Had to use a little backwoods engineering to mount the panel plate. Worked fine.

Here's another trick to consider. If you know that you have safe framing at either end of the wall, and assuming there's a door in it so it's not too long of a wall, you can run an attractive piece of stained wood as a stringer across the wall surface at one or two locations with a vertical separation. For example if you know there is safe framing at either and you could screw a 1x4 (or whatever dimension you need for the required stability and weight distribution of the TV) at both ends and then attach your TV mount to that. You could also use a 3/4" Baltic birch plywood, which we would expect to have greater stability, and frame and stain it to match the cabinetry in your rig.

Yonder said:
Here's another trick to consider. If you know that you have safe framing at either end of the wall, and assuming there's a door in it so it's not too long of a wall, you can run an attractive piece of stained wood as a stringer across the wall surface at one or two locations with a vertical separation. For example if you know there is safe framing at either and you could screw a 1x4 (or whatever dimension you need for the required stability and weight distribution of the TV) at both ends and then attach your TV mount to that. You could also use a 3/4" Baltic birch plywood, which we would expect to have greater stability, and frame and stain it to match the cabinetry in your rig.

Great Idea! That should work for me!

Back
Top Bottom