Best tow vehicle tires

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bacmb

At the risk of starting a tire war, I'm going to ask...

We have a 2013 Silverado 2500HD that came with Mickey Thompson ATZ 35x12.50r20's.  I love the tire size, but they get poor mileage, are a very rough ride, and it's almost time to replace them.  I drive the truck back and too to work every day (highway/city), we tow a 13k 5th wheel three-four weeks out of the year, go to the hunting club a couple of weeks out of the year, and live in the south (where snow is a once every 5 year occurrence, if that).  I've tried to do my research online, but am  more confused than ever, even as to whether I need M/S, A/T, M/T for the very little time I'm actually off road (even then, it's not very far off road).  I've seen rave review and pans for Michelin Defender LTX, Nittos, Toyos, Generals and Coopers.  At this point, we'd really like something that gives us a bit smoother ride (when towing and when not), with better mileage being a perk but not a requirement.  I guess its too much to ask if there are any clear winners and losers in this category (even if several of each, don't mind doing my homework, but it's daunting!)

Thanks,

Chuck

www.tirerack.com
is a very good resource for tires.  Lots of information and good reviews.

My Silvy is a 2wd with road tires, but the best tires I've had regarding quiet smooth ride and great traction throughout their life were some continentals...i forget the series....crosstour or something like that.  Went through two sets of them I liked them so well... got cheap on my last set, and I can tell!

The meatier the tread, the better on mud, snow and off road.  And the noisier and rougher the ride.  Nice smooth, quiet ride means much less grip in bad or off road situations.  Life is a series of choices.  Then there is the choice of brands.

Don't think these are the "best" available but I run Yokohama Geolander AT LT275/65R18 E on my Tundra 4X4 and they are quiet with what I guess you could call a mid range aggressive tread for an AT type tire.

My 2015 2500HD came with Michelin LTX AT2's from the factory and I found I was inventing new swear words by keeping them on.  I moved over to BFG KO2's.  That might not be the ticket for some that remain only on hard top roads, but I live rural and deal with not only some off road on the property, but 2 miles of gravel roads just to get from the house to the nearest hard surface road. 

But the KO2's are pretty sweet on hard top also.  Low noise, much better ride and handling.  I didn't really take any kind of a hit on fuel economy, which seamed strange because of the tread pattern.  I like em.  And I like to go to the more disperse camping locations.  That sometimes calls for a little extra tire grip that the KO2's offer.

Lots of really good tires on the market.  Each person has their particular fave. 

I ended up with KO2's on all but one pick-up I've ever owned. That one was two wheel drive, and KO2's look stupid on a two wheel drive.

Back
Top Bottom