Transfer switch burn out

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Don?t have a Winni but imagine they?re similar. I lost my transfer switch about a year ago. Ordered online and took about 3 days to receive expedited so that doesn?t help you. Shop gave me a hint if I was out on the road. First clearly mark your wires going to the switch. Then, with all power removed, swap the genset and shore power leads. That?s it. I believe most fail in the shore power position but it sounds like yours failed in the genset position (correct? you have no shore power but you do have power from the genset?). By swapping the shore leads to the other side (genset) you should get power. If you wanted genset power swap back to original position.

You could confirm what?s going on with a meter (be careful, this involves exposed high voltage leads). Remove the cover of your switch. Plug in to shore power. You should have voltage on the shore power lugs but no voltage at either the center or genset lugs. (Perhaps you?ve already done this.)

You could take the transfer switch entirely out. 

Wire the shore power cord directly to the power panel.

Depending on the condition of the wires inside the burned up switch, you might be able to temporarily splice the shore power cord to the wires going to the power panel with split bolts wrapped in electrical tape.

Then install a shore power outlet on the generator.  If your shore power cord is permanently attached and you stuff it into a compartment for storage, put the generator socket inside that compartment.

Leave the shore power cord plugged into the generator whenever you're not using shore power.  Unplug it from the generator and plug it into the park pedestal when you want to use shore power.

All of these parts should be available at a big box store or a well stocked hardware store.

The 16 Cambria I believe has a recall on the transfer switch, contact your dealer.  When installed the wire set screws were not tightened correctly.>>>Dan

In most transfer switches, there is an inordinate risk that the connections will come lose with vibration over time. When this happens, there is resistance in the contacts that generates heat when in operation and frequently leads to arcing resulting in destruction of the switch. You should make a habit to tighten the contacts in the transfer switch atleast annually as well as the contacts in the main breaker box and any hardwire EMS systems. You need to turn all power off to do this including the batteres/inverter. It takes less than 30 minutes and you will likely be surprised what you find the first time you do it. Good luck

Up date, contacted Winnebago they admitted faulty batch of switches and put me a new one in the mail. I am just going to by pass transfer switch and go camping

I just ordered the 40350 to upgrade the surge side of my transfer switch.  Our OEM was a Surge Guard 41260 which had only limited surge protection. 

Back
Top Bottom