unhooking equilizer hitch from truck ball

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chaperall lite

we have a TT  with an equilizer hitch , installed by the dealer...works good...just can not unhook it from the ball!!!  we have to pull the pin on the truck hitch and the whole think drops off then. wierd or what? have an elec jack, and it will lift the back of the truck up and still wont come off..pull the pin and it drops right off. any ideas?

Try to chock the wheels of the trailer, raise the RV with the electric jack a couple of inches then either pull the truck forward or backwards just a bit to relieve the pressure against the ball.

Depending where you are some times you need to do that, specially if the place is not level.  Other people use a couple of big screwdrivers. Others do what Rene mentioned.  Good luck!

If your release latch is down in a channel, you have to slide the front of the latch handle back an inch or so after you undo the  latch to move the underjaw away from the trailer ball.  Unlike the type of hitch that has the release arm entirely on top of the hitch, the channel lock doesn't open by just lifting the latch.

Here's a picture of a channel lock hitch coupler:

https://www.easternmarine.com/carry-on-coupler-256

Versus one where the release handle is on top and only needs to be lifted to release the ball:

https://www.easternmarine.com/carry-on-coupler-200

Both of these need weight on the ball so it isn't pressing against the underjaw when you release it, so unhitching is a multi-step process.  First use the tongue jack to lift the tongue and the hitch a bit to take some tension off of the equalizing arms so you can release them and get them out of the way.

Then lower the hitch until there's weight on the ball and pull the release.  Now lift the trailer tongue off the ball.  If it doesn't come off, the truck may be pushing backwards on the hitch and pushing the ball against the underjaw.  Try moving the truck slightly forward.

Both types of hitches have adjustments to ensure the jaw firmly grips the ball when latched while still letting it move far enough out of the way to release the ball.  If the above doesn't help, I'd take the hitch and trailer back to the dealer and let him adjust it.

we bought the trailer last fall and never used it,,,but tried to unhook a couple of times...perfectly level...put truck in neutral and tried the back and forth a tad....but now think maybe it is that hitch you have to slide back a little... but it falls out just raising the handle when we pull out of the truck hitch...  no lubricating yet..no rust on anything... will drag it back to the dealer this spring when our feet of snow melt..  thanks for the ideas...

You shouldn?t have to take it to the dealer for this. If the ball comes out when you disconnect from the hitch, then the problem is almost certainly what Rene has described. The ball is just binding on the hitch. Try raising your trailer a little further or not as far before moving your truck an inch or two forward or back. If your trailer is putting too much weight on the ball, or lifting the ball up, it will bind.  This is very common, and if you fiddle with it a bit, you?ll get the hang of it.

Lou Schneider said:
<SNIP>
Both of these need weight on the ball so it isn't pressing against the underjaw when you release it, so unhitching is a multi-step process.  First use the tongue jack to lift the tongue and the hitch a bit to take some tension off of the equalizing arms so you can release them and get them out of the way.

Then lower the hitch until there's weight on the ball and pull the release.  Now lift the trailer tongue off the ball.  If it doesn't come off, the truck may be pushing backwards on the hitch and pushing the ball against the underjaw.  Try moving the truck slightly forward.

<SNIP>

This is what you have to do - Lift, remove torsion bars, lower, release lower ball clamp, lift off of the ball.

You don't lubricate to prevent rust, you do it to reduce friction.  Grease the ball.

Unless the rear of the truck is significantly downhill, I find that I can just push on the bumper with my foot to move it forward enough to clear the coupler lock. Make sure the camper wheels are chocked and the truck is in park though. Never unhook with the truck in neutral!

Spray up into the coupler on the trailer with silicone spray as well, sometimes the springs on the hitch get stuck mine used too stick especially when driving in spring snow storms all that ice snow and road sand and salt would bind up the hitch springs and lever. A quick squirt with silicone or lithium would lubricate and free up all the movements . I got used to doing it 2-3 times a year and always keep a can of WD-40 in the YELLOW can in my tool box

Back
Top Bottom