Bicycle Options - Full Size vs Folding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

steelmooch

Hello all, and thanks for your time and consideration.  :) 

Entering our second year of serious Spring/Summer/Fall camping, we're looking to add some bicycles into the mix.  We think our kids would enjoy being able to explore the campgrounds we stay at, and the added physical activity is a healthy bonus. 

I've looked at racks that clip onto the existing roof ladder of our T.T., the "deer hauler" (tray-style) ones that attach to the bumper, ones that fit around the spare tire, etc. 

Workable, for sure...but I'm not overly enthusiastic about adding length to the T.T., worrying about securing the bikes/highway safety, etc. 

Does anyone on the forum have experience with folding bicycles?  It might seem laughable to some...but a lot of people in metropolitan areas bike to public transit, collapse their bike for train/bus travel, and rely on those bikes as part of their daily work routine. 

Reviews online are all over the place, and "cost" doesn't seem to guarantee "quality" in many cases.  Some people report using them daily and getting years of service with minimal problems...other people claim that they fell apart or needed major servicing after only a couple of times out. 

I like the logistical simplicity...the security when not in use and stowed away in the van...the fact that rain/weather would be a non-issue...and the fact that kids and adults can ride many types of folding bicycles (they are on smallish 20" tires but with weight limits to accommodate most commuting adults). 

Any insights or experiences would be greatly appreciated...thanks and happy travels! 

I have considered folding bicycles but have not chosen.
For one thing my Gads it must be 25 years old. Fixed Frame Bicycle is an 18 Speed.  And most folding bikes are not.

Second I'm over 300 pounds fully dressed, (Sometimes under shower weight sometimes over)

And I just do not trust the folding type.

ON My RV, due to the height of the receiver I use a "Drop" type adapter to tow my car
Atop the Drop is welded a mount for a ball hitch
Attached to that is a 2 bicycle rack
The "Drop" is hitch stabilized (Blue Ox Hitch Immobilizer)

This holds two bicycles, (you can get a 4 Bike model) and also my custom made cloths line frame.

If I did not need the drop adapter then there are bicycle holders designed to slip over the 2" square bar that slips into the receiver and clamp down.  And there are "Dual Hitch" adapters. One of these you hook the car to the bottom (*Straight through or drop) receiver and teh bicycle holder into the top one.

EIther way that's how I do it.

We used to have a pair of 7-speed Dahon folding bikes, back when we had a small travel trailer. They fit nicely in the pickup bed, even with the shell on top. They're not quite as comfortable to ride as a regular bike, but they did the job nicely for us in campground areas, and were easy to fold, easy to adjust to fit us, and easy to carry.

So they are certainly a viable option. I would recommend that you at least try them briefly before purchase, though, to be sure you get something that will fit you specifically -- they're not all the same.

I have a pair older 3 speed Dahon folders, a pair of 6 speed Adventurer folders in addition to my regular hybrid bikes.  The old 3 speeds are good quality, fold up very small and have served us well.  The 6 speed are from Camping World and are usable, but lower quality.  I always take the hybrids wherever I go and some times the 6 speeds as well for campgrounds or for friends.  The 3 speeds are great bikes, but I may sell them because of lack of use.

Do not think of folders as kids bikes just because of small tires, they serve adults well.  Whenever I see all those junk bikes hanging and banging all over trucks and trailers, I just laugh, there is a much better way.  Get the folding bikes and let the damage to others.

I do not recommend the 22" wheel, 12 speed bikes from Camping World because replacement tires are nearly impossible to find.

We used to carry two full size mountain bikes on the rear ladder of our previous motorhome, but after a few years of bouncing down the road, the ladder started to pull away from the fiberglass rear cap. In our current coach, I've been carrying them in basement storage on the Joey Bed, but they take up a lot of room there. We've recently decided to sell them and get a couple of folding Dahon bikes. We only ride bikes around the campgrounds, and they're great for that.

Kev

I've eyed them for a long time myself.  the cheap cruiser I have for chasing the kids around the CG's is steel and it's heavy.  Even if everyone else keeps their own bikes...taking mine off that rack would be a blessing.

I ran into a lady in a tire shop waiting room once.  She had a nice looking one.  She said that her dad was a collector and restorer of old ones of this type.  She explained that it's way better than the dahons and similar that you see in Camping worlds and the like (although I'm sure those are fine)....... I think it was a Brampton.  I remember her saying you can sometimes find them on ebay.  I like the idea, but I've never pulled the trigger.

More lately i've been eyeing the electric bikes, and saw a really cool folding electric one at our local ace hardware (also the same type at a recent RV show). It was pricey though!

We are lucky enough to be able to put a bike carrier on the back of our trailer for now. We did have a welding shop attach the hitch receiver to the frame so it is very solid. When we get the motorhome we intend on carrying the bikes on the toad?s receiver hitch. It is a high quality, solid bike rack so I don?t anticipate any sway. We have electric bikes, and they are not light, even without the batteries! The hitch swings down some which helps, but it is still a pain to put the second bike on, however we really do like our ebikes. They will travel 15-20 miles in a peddle assist mode that lubricates our knees without forcing anything.

Peggy (my wife) and I are just now getting into bicycling.  Since we have a tow behind T.H., the motorcycles can go in the garage and the bicycles will easily fit in the truck bed....with the tailgate up.  Neither of us have ridden bicycles for years and years, but we are going to this year and base some of our camping locations around areas that have bike trails and Greenways close by.  We bought a couple of hybrids, so probably not too much in the way of real mountain biking.

I have been using a pair of Schwinn folding bikes for the last year or so and LOVE them. They are 7 speeds, have a small carry rack on the back, and come with a carrying bag.  I had gone through 2 sets of brand news bikes in 6 years, due to always hanging on the bike rack on the back of the Jeep.

That and it seemed like whenever I wanted to use them, I would spend 60-90 minutes of clean and lubricate time just to get them ready. And even then the cables would get rusted up after a period and need service or repair. That would keep me from using them at times, just because I dreaded that clean up part. 

Now they are bagged in the back of the Jeep, and I pull them out and have them ready to ride in minutes. Always clean and functional.  I did replace the seats that came with them with bigger, softer seats from Wal Mart (for my older softer rear end). 

The Schwinn bikes were a little bit more than the Dahon bikes, but I liked the construction of them.  I think I paid $290 +/- from Amazon delivered each.  But I figure the last ones cost me that much, and then 3-4 years later I had to replace them.  I bought one first to make sure that I liked it, and had Diane ride and give here opinion of them too.  With the softer seats I don't find them much different than riding my other bikes, other than the dip in frame style makes it easier to get on and off. 

And the added side benefit is security. I can even store them inside the RV if I need to use the back of the Jeep to transport something big in the back.  The only real con to the ownership experience has been the storage bags that they come with while being well made canvas, are little to "form fitting" for my taste. It takes a few times taking them in and out of the bag to get the knack to put them away easily.  (That's my own OCD that the bags must be zipped all the way closed) Other than that, 2 big thumbs up.

Thanks everyone for your detailed feedback!  :) 

It sounds like there are several effective ways for us to secure "regular" bikes, and that folding bikes are also a viable option. 

For those with the folding bikes, if you'd be so kind:

A) Our intended use would be in campgrounds and in bicycle-permissible areas of state parks.  Nothing too ambitious, which sounds similar to how other posters have used theirs. 

B) I'm inclined to seek simplicity when possible.  My wife and I are somewhat competent DIYers (in a kitchen demo sense, basic vanity replacement & plumbing, wiring new lights and receptacles, etc), but bicycle brake lines and such have given us absolute fits in the past.  We've honestly ended up having to take kids' gift bicycles to the bike shop to get the brake lines and calipers adjusted properly. 

With something portable/transported/folding, I'm a little bit scared about multiple gears, brake lines, brake calipers, etc.  Part of me says that "single gear bikes would be fine for what you want them for, and probably more reliable". 

Any thoughts or experiences about single gear (with coaster brake) versus 6/12 speeds with hand brakes?  Initial setup troubles?  Maintenance over time?  Issues with campground stone/dirt/dust and gears? 

C) The way the folding bikes with brake lines fold up, it seems like the handle bars are almost "hinging/hanging" from the brake cables when they fold over.  Any experience or concerns with that? 

D) The reviews on $400 folding bikes seem pretty comparable to the reviews on the $200 bikes, with similar concerns and problems when they do occur.  Any strong feelings or approximate costs that you're willing to share in order to help me align my expectations?  Would we be OK for our intended use with a couple of $200 Schwinn "Loop"s?  Worth it to save for $400 Dahon Unos?  Hold off until we could afford the likes of a Dahon Mariner? 

Thanks so much...we appreciate your feedback and insights. 

SargeW said:
..... The only real con to the ownership experience has been the storage bags that they come with while being well made canvas, are little to "form fitting" for my taste. It takes a few times taking them in and out of the bag to get the knack to put them away easily.  (That's my own OCD that the bags must be zipped all the way closed) Other than that, 2 big thumbs up.

I can relate!  I'd be doing the exact same thing.... in fact I can imagine that I'd be looking for some sort of cheap duffle bag to put them in, maybe with a piece of foam or a rug to pad them...something nice and loose and easy.

steelmooch said:
I'm a little bit scared about multiple gears, brake lines, brake calipers, etc.  Part of me says that "single gear bikes would be fine for what you want them for, and probably more reliable". 

Any thoughts or experiences about single gear (with coaster brake) versus 6/12 speeds with hand brakes?  Initial setup troubles?  Maintenance over time?  Issues with campground stone/dirt/dust and gears?  ....

I agree with you. I used to do a fair bit of mountain biking, and came to learn through that, and my DW's frugal nature of buying cheap bikes for herself.... that you have to spend a bit to get decent bike components.  It does make a difference.  Drives me nuts on lower end bikes to have the chain skipping because of a badly adjusted or poorly working derailleur .... so for my cheap knock around bike I was insistent on a single speed simple bike.  I will say though, that in hilly areas, or when covering more distance, mutispeed would be nice....  Also, I figure with the folding bikes and their smaller wheels, multi speed might be more necessary....
so, I like the idea of internal hub shifters for knock around bikes..... maybe a little less likely to get damaged in storage and transit.  personally, I think fewer gears is fine....3 speed or 5 speed, for knocking around.  My best mountain bike back in the day had 21, and offroad I used them....

cable brakes are fine, IMO....

We do have the Schwinn Loops, and the beauty of them is that they showed up in the box completely ready to go. The only real adjustment was the lifting of the seat pole to your preferred height. After I got the seat at the desired height, I drew a line around the seat post so from then on I could raise the seat to the correct height the first time every time.

The handle bars are on a hinge that rotates them up to the riding position, and in either position the hinge makes them solid.  The bike also has a guard over the derailleur that keeps if from getting bumped in the bag while being stored. In the year that they have been riding in the back of the Jeep they have required no other adjustments.

We have ridden them on a variety of surfaces, dirt, gravel, and pavement without affecting the operation of the gears or brakes. If you have any concerns, take them to a bike shop for the initial set up and adjustment if needed.  I don't believe they will need much.

The 7 speeds I have found to be quite useful. Even campgrounds are not necessarily going to be flat and level, so I appreciate being able to drop down a gear or two when necessary. It's your choice between one speed or more, but I look at it this way. I would rather have the multi gears,  and if I want I can put it in one place and never move it. But if I have just one gear, I would hate to avoid using them because the one gear I had wasn't acceptable for the place I wanted to use it.  Your choice. And the Schwinn is only 1 derailleur for the back gears. The front is single sprocket.

And don't forget the big benefit of having the folding bikes. That is getting them out of the weather when things turn nasty. As I speak right now, even though I am in a paved dust free resort in Las Vegas, the weather is still a bit damp and drippy.  The bikes are dry and warm in the back of the Jeep.

I'm an avid cyclist with 6 bikes who occasionally works at a bike store. I haven't owned a folding bike but have researched them and have friend who loves hers for her horse trailer. So take my opinions for what they are worth.

If you have a place to stow them and it sounds like you do, then folding bikes make a lot of sense versus hanging a bike off of the front or rear of a trailer. A good bike rack and locks can cost more than a bike. They are out-of-sight and out-of-mind.

The downside of folding bikes if you aren't willing to spend >$3000 for a Brompton is the weight vs. the small wheels on long rides (again I am thinking a full-sized Ritchey is out of your price range). However for getting around campgrounds this isn't going to be an issue and short trips in "bicycle-permissible areas of state parks" will be fine.

A single speed with coaster brakes is definitely the least hassle (and the cheapest) but gravity is not your friend so if you want to ride up any inclines of note you want gears -- 6 would be fine. Also you will have to go down those inclines at some point and coaster brakes aren't going to cut it (fwiw: there is also a question depending on where you ride whether they legally qualify as a braking device) so get proper brakes if you plan to venture off the campground (or the city streets the single speeds are intended for).

I wouldn't worry about the cables when folded (or folding). This is what they are designed to do (fyi: when a regular bike gets shipped to a bike store it is basically packed into a box like the folding bike -- except for the folding frame part). The question is how easy is it for you to do -- the single speeds and more expensive models are easier to deal with.

As for price...I agree there isn't much difference in the $200-400 range. However at that price I would be concerned about the initial build quality. If you are not buying it from a proper bike shop, then you are relying on the Chinese factory and the kid at the big box store who assembled it to do it right (e.g. grease what needs grease). If it is done right then even at this price point you will get 1000's of miles of use with zero maintenance. If it were me, I'd buy a bike like the Loop from Walmart, then I would take it entirely apart and re-build it and I'd have a very usable $200 bike -- I have the tools and know-how to do it but it sounds like you may not.

If you can find a <$400 bike at a bike shop, then that is a safe option as they will build correctly and usually have a free 30-day tune-up which will catch anything that they missed or failed during the break in period (these are made from cheap parts after all). If you can't, go to a big box store with a satisfaction guarantee. I am not sure about the US retailers but Canadian Tire has on-site servicing for bikes they sell and you can get lucky and have a real bike mechanic (working a 2nd job) fix anything the piece-work assembly got wrong.

I wouldn't spend the money on a really nice folding bike until you know you will use it. If you decide you do, then you can easily re-sell a $200 Loop.

I am a pretty good size guy 300+ lbs and 6'5" so I had my doubts about a folding bike then I had both hips replaced and my balance and thigh strength went kaput.  I still wanted a bike that I could ride but a 2 wheel was not an option.  Once I figured out what I could ride, then I needed a way to haul it and my wife's bike on the TT.  With the help of a welder in Decorah Ia this is what I came up with,  both are 21 speed too.

Attachments

• Family 048.JPG
    Family 048.JPG
    150.5 KB · Views: 38
  • Family 050.JPG
    Family 050.JPG
    161 KB · Views: 34
  • Family 049.JPG
    Family 049.JPG
    167.6 KB · Views: 31
When I was a kid, my dad bought me one of these: 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Alex-Moulton-1965-F-series-4-speed-bike-bicycle-folding-vintage/162939653076?hash=item25eff5cbd4:g:uG0AAOSwEHhapGIB

I totally hated it at the time, but I'd sure like to have a couple of them now.

I am a pretty serious rider and never thought of folding bikes, in fact I use to laugh at them but when were preparing to full time and I was still commuting to work I looked into them.  They can be as simple or as sophisticated as you like and your budget has room for.  I ended up getting a Tern Verge P10, it is light and fast has an 11-speed chain ring, hydraulic disc brakes.  I was commuting to and from work on average 8-minutes faster than on my road touring bike.  The folding bike had some appeal since we could fold them up and put them in the truck camper when travelling.  My wife has a Tern Tour and she loves it.  While we selected Tern, they certainly are not the only game in town, there are several excellent brands and models to choose from.  So if a folding bike might work best for you, I would not hesitate.

steelmooch said:
Thanks everyone for your detailed feedback!  :) 

It sounds like there are several effective ways for us to secure "regular" bikes, and that folding bikes are also a viable option. 

For those with the folding bikes, if you'd be so kind:

A) Our intended use would be in campgrounds and in bicycle-permissible areas of state parks.  Nothing too ambitious, which sounds similar to how other posters have used theirs. 

B) I'm inclined to seek simplicity when possible.  My wife and I are somewhat competent DIYers (in a kitchen demo sense, basic vanity replacement & plumbing, wiring new lights and receptacles, etc), but bicycle brake lines and such have given us absolute fits in the past.  We've honestly ended up having to take kids' gift bicycles to the bike shop to get the brake lines and calipers adjusted properly. 

With something portable/transported/folding, I'm a little bit scared about multiple gears, brake lines, brake calipers, etc.  Part of me says that "single gear bikes would be fine for what you want them for, and probably more reliable". 

Any thoughts or experiences about single gear (with coaster brake) versus 6/12 speeds with hand brakes?  Initial setup troubles?  Maintenance over time?  Issues with campground stone/dirt/dust and gears? 

C) The way the folding bikes with brake lines fold up, it seems like the handle bars are almost "hinging/hanging" from the brake cables when they fold over.  Any experience or concerns with that? 

D) The reviews on $400 folding bikes seem pretty comparable to the reviews on the $200 bikes, with similar concerns and problems when they do occur.  Any strong feelings or approximate costs that you're willing to share in order to help me align my expectations?  Would we be OK for our intended use with a couple of $200 Schwinn "Loop"s?  Worth it to save for $400 Dahon Unos?  Hold off until we could afford the likes of a Dahon Mariner? 

Thanks so much...we appreciate your feedback and insights.

If all you intend to ride is around the campgrounds you visit a single speed will work just fine, but if you intend to ride and explore more, having gears particularly a wide range will be a real benefit and really nothing to be concerned about.  Having said that there is a segment of serious riders who have and love to ride single speed and do so up and down hills.

I saw an Origami folding bike at an RV show today.  They had a lot of different options, single speed, 5 speed, 8 speed etc...  They were very well built and seemed like a very good bike.  Very pricey, anywhere from $300 -$500 depending on what you wanted.

Back
Top Bottom