Batteries

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Majority of info I have read involving RV batteries is it best to get two 6 volt deep cycle batteries and hook them up in such a way that it turns them into 12 volts. So my thought was "if I buy a 12 volt deep cycle, it will do the trick." So I hooked it up to the cab and nothing worked. no lights, no appliances, nothing. I am uncertain as what to do. The spot for the batteries has cables to attach two batteries individually to the cab.

12 volt battery will work. However since it already has wiring for two six volt cells then you need to hook up the positive of one and to the negative of the other.

There is nothing wrong with a single (12 volt, or two 12's in parallel (or 3,4,5,etc till you hit the word "Overweight" then you need to stop)

However most RV 12 volt batteries are MARINE/deep cycle (Starting batteries wearing deep cycle clothing) not real DEEP CYCLE. that means you can only use about 1/4 the capacity max....

Now the most common 6 volt is a true DEEP CYCLE (GC-2 or Golf Car) and you can safely use HALF the capacity 2x the power assuming the same amp hours.

NOTE: you can get Deep Cycle !2 volt (GC-12 and Trolling) but they are more expensive.

Now. what did you do wrong.

Assuming you have the positive wire that runs off to "Who knows where" or to a fuse or circuit breaker (1)  and the negative wire that runs off to who knows where (or chassis)  hooked to the negative terminal  and the old Jumper cleaned and stored (Wash with baking soda then with clear water) 

First. Make sure you have it hooked up right

THEN check the fuse or breaker (1)
And your Disconnect. it may have disconnected on you,

How to test most everything in one easy step using a Multi-Meter or TEST light

Lift the NEGATIVE cable off the battery.. (Leave the positive where it is

Hook test light to positive terminal on battery along with positive cable.

Plug in touch  Negative cable  Good light or 13.6 volts. Great but 'm guessing no light

Just to check battery touch Test LIght to negative terminal on battery.

Bright light = Good battery

Oh, Using a MULTI METER,, Make sure that wire hooked to the positive is really POSITIVE relative to the wire you disconnected

Two most common issues on battery change are Breaker tripped and battery backwards

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom