Camper Dangles Over Overpass

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have seen Semi's do that. Not easy to do.  It says though there was a crash, I assume the driver of the Tow Vehicle stood on the brakes (Unless of course he was the one who crashed) and the trailer jacknifed... Now not being at the scene, I  can not say more.. but.. Well... THere are many reasons this could have happened. Inluding lack of sway control hitch.

Root cause of crash began months ago when the salesman said, "Sure, your SUV can tow that trailer. No problem."

The local TV station I watched at supper time said it was a your girl who was driving next to the trailer and drifted into it, forcing it off the road.  Here is their coverage, apparently she has been charged for careless driving.

Ed

http://www.wtsp.com/article/news/traffic/crew-removes-dangling-camper-from-i-275-overpass-near-downtown-st-petersburg/67-528816829

Before all you guys start blaming it on an SUV towing, check before you speak. My 2015 Ex has a payload of over 1500#, better than some 1/2 ton pickups. Take a good look at the trailer, it's probably about a 22'er. Probably doesn't gross 5000#. Might be pushing the limits, but not necessarily over. It appears the Ex stayed planted on the road, and the trailer just flipped over. It could have done that if it was hooked to a Peterbilt. Also, if anyone ever watched a video of a trailer breaking loose, the spring bars go flying into the wild blue yonder.

Judging by the skid marks, the car and trailer were going in the opposite direction (i.e in the same direction as the rescue vehicles) and when the trailer was pushed to one side it spun the car around.

As to whether a bigger tow vehicle would have made a difference, the report said the impact made the trailer drag the Hyundai counter-clockwise, then the trailer ran up and over the guardrail as it was going backwards down the road.  I don't see how a similar move could have spun a Freightliner around, for example.  Whether anything in between that and the light SUV would have made a difference in the outcome is just conjecture.

I like the tow strap the FD connected between the trailer tongue and the ladder truck. Presumably the trailer wouldn't drag it over if it slid off the bridge.

BTW ... if I said my Ex had a payload over 1500# she'd never let me hear the end of it.  ;)

We've seen worse on I-80 in PA.  One time we had a dual axle TT entangled in the bridge guardrails and the F-150 ext. cab dangling over the side.. free hanging on the ball hitch.  I would have loved to take pictures, but too busy getting the folks back up on the pavement.  I was amazed at the hitch holding on! Safety chains were there but not holding weight at the time, just the ball & receiver.  Passing trucker made loops from spare load chains and hooked the bumper and wrapped around remaining guardrail, but it turned out they weren't needed.

CharlesinGA said:
Back left tire on the Explorer looks flat. Guy doing the U turn nearly caused more damage. I'm sure it was a wild ride.

Charles

If you watch closely, the safety guy making the u-turn had a spotter guiding him past the far side railing. I think the camera angle makes it look closer than it was.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Winger84
Back
Top Bottom