Need guidance for 12v DC/110vAC conversion.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

professori

I have a Bullet 210RUDWE.  I would like to convert one or two of my existing AC outlets to DC so I can plug in an AC TV and also charge devices with simple plug in chargers, use a blender or grind coffee.  I have room near my electrical panel and am capable of any wiring needed.  Would a 1000-1200W inverter be adequate.  Where would I take the feed from?  I currently have a battery bank of 4X6V wired in series and parallel to deliver the 12V necessary.  I will be adding solar this year.  Thanks for the help. 

You could just buy this converter:

https://www.amazon.com/Ampeak-Power-Inverter-Converter-Charger/dp/B072LM88F9/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1521141403&sr=8-2&keywords=12+volt+converter+to+110

it has more than enough power for any of those items.

You can't really just change an outlet to dc.
Also there are usually only 2 plug circuits from the panel 1 gfci and 1 regular it would be all or nothing.
Why not get an inverter and extension cord to plug in the devices? 

I guess I'm confused. If you already have AC at those outlets, why convert them to DC and then invert back to AC to run those AC gadgets?

Are you trying to get AC power from the outlets when no shore power is available?  If so, you need to install an inverter and use its 120v output to power those outlets. They are still AC outlets, so that is not converting to DC. Wire an inverter to the battery bank and shift the 120v wires for those outlets from the load center breaker that now feeds them to the inverter outlet.

Ok his post made absolute sense to me.  Very clear no confusion. I will reword

He wants to know if he can install a 1000 to 1200 watt inverter to power an outlet or two, either existing transferred to the inverter or added so he can run a TV and perhaps a coffee maker.

To the OP the answer is yes.. I will give you two methods

First common to both the inverter needs to be close to the batteries, BUT It does NOT need to breath fumes from the battery which can be corrosive.. I suggest the compartment next to the batteries (or just behind them on some trailers).

For an inverter of the size you wish the recommended MINIMUM is a pair of GC-2 (200+ amp hours at 12 volts) I recommend 2x that.

I also recommend PURE SINE WAVE over MSW, and this goes multiple for TV use.

Now the two Actually 3 ways
Inverters in teh 1000+ range come in two flavors
One is a "Stand Alone" this converts 12vdc to 120 VAC only  For this type of inverter I would suggest you run wires from the inverter. IF it has circuit breakers on the 120 volt side (one or two) you can just run from it to an outlet or two. One near the TV, one the kitchen,, Make them a "Contrasting color" (Actually Red/Orange is suggested for Inverter power) to indicate these are 'Live" full time.

The other kind is an "In-line.
This type often has a charger internal as well and can charge the batteries Often this is a good quality 3-or 4 stage charger.

For a 1000 watt (For 2000 watt use a 30 amp breaker) 20 amp breaker in your MAIN box 12 ga to the inverter's 120IN and if the unit has breakers 12 amp you can use 12 or 14ga to the outlets

NOTE: if hte inverter does NOT have internal breakers you run 12ga to a "Sub panel" and two breakers there one for Kitchen one for TV 15 amp.

NOTE: The "Third" method is to use a stand alone with an auto transfer switch

In this case a 15 amp feed (12 or 14ga) to the GENERATOR input on the ATS and feed the inverter (Also via a breaker) to the SHORE in output goes to the outlets

Or use a manual switch

Make sure the inverter output is breaker protected.

Back
Top Bottom