Directv signal meter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sadixon49

Has anyone purchased or used a Directv SWiM 3/5 sat signal meter? If so how did it work? I'm looking at this meter,, hoping to find something to help me set up my SWim 3 antenna. Any advice would be appreciated.https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ELKKFCS/?coliid=I3KH3GYRVEIGRQ&colid=TRWMB2V18AL&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

If anyone has used this meter, or something else that did the job, I would be interested. I have not had good luck setting up using a compass and the Sat finder app on my phone.

I have never used a meter to set up my portable satellite antenna.  I use an app to find the elevation, azimuth and skew.  Then set the elevation and skew according to those settings, and then aim the satellite dish at the approximate azimuth, and then swing it back and forth slowly until i receive a signal on the tv screen, and then make small adjustments in azimuth, and elevation to maximize the signal.  I dont believe I have ever had to adjust the skew.  This system works well if there are two of us involved, but I have done it by myself a few times.

The key to this method is to have the tripod or base perfectly level.

Sorry, I have no idea but it reminds me....I bought an analog meter back when i had dish at my house many years ago.  Never had to re-point my dish so I never used it.  pretty sure it's still up in my attic.  Not sure if it would even work with today's stuff but I should find a home for it....

There are many Signal Meters.  Now some of 'em have a analog scale and go "inline' they may beep, they are basically JUNK,  Some are decent Digital meters that IDENTIFY the satallite and give you a whole bunch info... The result is .... Far easier.

What I prefer (do not know about the latest Direc Offerings) is a portable color TV hooked to the receiver, but alss most receivers today do not have RF out .

sadixon49 said:
Has anyone purchased or used a Directv SWiM 3/5 sat signal meter? If so how did it work? I'm looking at this meter,, hoping to find something to help me set up my SWim 3 antenna. Any advice would be appreciated.https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ELKKFCS/?coliid=I3KH3GYRVEIGRQ&colid=TRWMB2V18AL&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

If anyone has used this meter, or something else that did the job, I would be interested. I have not had good luck setting up using a compass and the Sat finder app on my phone.

In the description it says "Does not support DIRECTV's newest 4K LNBs"

I found a used Bird dog meter but I have an external SWM so I can hook the meter direct to the LNB instead of the SWM.

That meter looks like it would work as long as it's not 4k LNB Just standard HD. says it will power it for 25 minutes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom