Hit concrete pole

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jimmynunez3858

Hey guys.

I just bought this Fifth wheel this past year, and I ended up hitting a pole today. I called State Farm and brought it by a body shop to have them estimate it, they said they could fix it no problem. I?m worried that once it?s fixed I?m going to keep having issues since the wall isn?t sealed from factory. Also, the jack is bent, the awning is destroyed, the front half of the camper is destroyed along with the under carriage, window is shattered, and multiple dents throughout the camper. Any advice? I was thinking about hiring my own adjuster, since I don?t trust that company that currently is going to send the estimates. I would post the pictures but it?s saying the attachments are too big.

Thanks

You should be able to use your own adjuster if you don't like the person they sent out.  Just curious, what about the company do you not trust?

The wound might still be a little fresh, but feel free to also post the "how it happened" account of that pole collision.  Don't worry, nobody will make fun of you here!  And it may help others avoid the same situation.

As Scott said.

I've been here awhile, but just got home from our maiden voyage with our FW.  I am about to post about all the trees I met on the trip.

Well, I was driving at night, parked by a couple poles and was complacent thinking I could maneuver around them. Once I hit the concrete pole it got stuck under the camper and that?s when I had to completely destroy the RV by going back and forth. Here?s a couple pictures, the links should work.

https://imageshack.com/i/podbvWiMj
https://imageshack.com/i/porzH6eNj
https://imageshack.com/i/pm3GZz79j

I?m just worried about the integrity of the trailer since the aluminum frame is smashed. Hopefully the insurance company totals it out.

First, welcome to the forum.

Second, I was wondering if you contacted the factory to see if they can be of help.  When I had my FW, there was a need to replace an entire side due to leaks.  They did the work in one week.  Just a thought.

You did not say which insurance company.  Is the adjuster you are dealing with a staff adjuster or an independent adjuster?  What matters more than the adjuster is the shop that is going to do the repairs.  Do they warrant their work and how long is the warranty good for?  What is the reputation of the repair shop?  Are you comfortable with them? Tell the shop about your concerns.  In most states you can choose your own shop.  Having been a adjuster for 40 years, although not an auto adjuster,  I can tell you, the shop is the real key, not the adjuster.  Good shop, good repair.  Bad shop, bad repair.  Good luck.

John, it says State Farm...

Jimmy

I'd suggest you tell folks where you are located as you may get good recommendations for a repair shop should you want to control that.

John,

The insurance is State Farm. I brought the FW to a local collision shop and they just seemed fishy. Obviously they?re in business to make some money which is great, I just wasn?t too sure if the integrity of the FW would be the same considering the amount of damage was done. The location is going to be in Lafayette, LA.

The shop has their own adjustster that reports to State Farm, which is a little odd. Usually, they send someone out to look at the damaged vehicle. Hopefully I?ll find something out by the early part of the week and let you guys know what the insurance company says. Thanks for all the helpful replies / responses.

I had an accident almost 2 years ago.  Living in a fairly lightly populated area, the insurance company used the local body shop guy as their adjuster.  There was no requirement to use that shop, but it saved them from sending an appraiser a hundred miles one way on a $4,000 claim.

I got into some trees and a boulder with a 2007 Jayco Designer 5er (Not my present 5er) about 4 years ago. $17,000 damage. The trees wiped out the Awning and put some holes near the roof line. The boulder tore out the axles and bent the slide arms from underneath. It was in the shop 6 months, but when I got it back it was like new and you could not tell it had been in a accident. a good shop can fix it like new.
Mel
:)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
urnwholesaler
Back
Top Bottom