My Thedford toilet is leaking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rene T

Site Team
I have a Thedford toilet Model 42072. It's a style II, High, porcelain, (bone).  It looks like my fill valve or flush valve is leaking at times slowly filling the bowl. I tried letting the foot pedal snap close. Sometimes it seals and other times it still leaks by real slow. The leak is small and may fill the bowl in 5 or 6 hours. I'm surprised there is no overflow hole to prevent the water from overflowing the bowl.
I'm trying to find a supplier for a new valve assembly. I'm going to call Thedford tomorrow and see if they can give me a part number unless someone here can help me out.

After posting last night, I did find both those links. Thanks anyway. FYI, I called Thedford just now and they said that the incoming water pressure must be between 40 and 60 PSI. Any pressure greater or less than those numbers, the valve will leak by. I just went out and it was 58 PSI so I dropped it down to 50 PSI. I'll watch it now for a couple of days and will get back to you.

Our Style Plus uses a different water valve than your Style II, but one thing I've done to every on board toilet equipped RV we've ever owned is to add an inline shut off valve in the toilet water supply line. That gives us a way to shut off the flow to the toilet in an event like yours, as well as letting us isolate the toilet supply so the rest of the plumbing can be used while a repair is made.

NY_Dutch said:
Our Style Plus uses a different water valve than your Style II, but one thing I've done to every on board toilet equipped RV we've ever owned is to add an inline shut off valve in the toilet water supply line. That gives us a way to shut off the flow to the toilet in an event like yours, as well as letting us isolate the toilet supply so the rest of the plumbing can be used while a repair is made.

Great idea Dutch!  We have a sprayer attachment and I think I'll add a valve to that as well.

Thanks!

That is a great idea. I'll do it when I get home with a Sharkbite valve.
So far, the valve is holding good so it looks like the water pressure was too high.

I'm glad the valves holding, now Rene! I try to locate the toilet water shut off where it can be reached from the toilet seat for convenience. On our current and previous Class A's, I also installed shutoff valves at the sinks and shower/tub. Not all shower plumbing is as easily accessible as ours though.

NY_Dutch said:
I'm glad the valves holding, now Rene! I try to locate the toilet water shut off where it can be reached from the toilet seat for convenience. On our current and previous Class A's, I also installed shutoff valves at the sinks and shower/tub. Not all shower plumbing is as easily accessible as ours though.

I've got a short piece of supply pipe behind the toilet and goes right down through the floor. It will have to go there.

Rene T said:
I've got a short piece of supply pipe behind the toilet and goes right down through the floor. It will have to go there.

Well, it doesn't have to be where it's necessarily easy to reach from the seat. I think anyplace that doesn't require getting down on your hands and knees is probably good... ;)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozgal
Back
Top Bottom