Looking for propane grill recommendations

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

danajdelarosa

Good evening all!

Looking for your recommendations for a decent portable propane grill that I can hook to my existing lines on the RV.

It can be tabletop as I have a camp kitchen table already. I also have an outdoor kitchen with cooktop. I am just looking for an actual grill.

Thanks in advance!

~Dana~

This topic has been covered before....probably several/many times, so I'll save the long version of my opinion and condense this into a short statement......Get a Weber Q series grill and save yourself some headache over the long run.  There are several sizes available, so pick the size that works best for you and your family.  They are high quality and long lasting.

When this question pops up, the majority seem to vote for the weber Q, but the Charbroil Infrared has been going strong for me for over 6 years now.
No hot spots. No flare ups.
I prefer this portable to the big 6 burner lunker sitting on my deck.

I had the Coleman Roadtrip.  I hated the burner setup.  2 round burners like a stove top.  Not good for grilling unless you keep the food over those 2 small circles.  The only good thing I can say about it is that it got hotter than any other grill I have ever seen.  It also burned thru those little 1lb propane bottles fast.  I believe they have since redesigned it with a more even burner setup.

Today, I have a Weber Q2000.  It is much better to grill on.

Macrosill said:
I had the Coleman Roadtrip.  I hated the burner setup.  2 round burners like a stove top.  Not good for grilling unless you keep the food over those 2 small circles.  The only good thing I can say about it is that it got hotter than any other grill I have ever seen.

I have a Coleman. Usually use my charcoal BBQ but have generally been satisfied. And yes I was stunned how hot it gets (which I really like) for a small grill. Does a great job searing steaks, nicely browned chicken. I?m shopping for a replacement though, just too big and cumbersome to get in and out of the basement storage (especially if I forget to get it out before I extend the slides ::) ). One feature I thought I really wanted was the built in cart so I wasn?t grilling on the ground if there was no table available. Once it?s unfolded that is really nice but makes for a big, fairly heavy unit to move around.

One concern I have about replacing the Coleman with a tabletop variety is how hot it gets below the grill. With many campgrounds starting to replace tables with all-weather versions made out of some sort of plastic, I have run across several that prohibit use of tabletop grills (either in the printed rules, or by a placard mounted on the table), presumably because people are melting the tables. Also, I have a plastic folding table and would like to be able to use the grill on that table. I guess some sort of heat mat would work, but not where the use is clearly prohibited.

Because we never boondock, and the electricity is free here at the CG, we use a Webber electric. Very happy with it.

danajdelarosa said:
Good evening all!

Looking for your recommendations for a decent portable propane grill that I can hook to my existing lines on the RV.

It can be tabletop as I have a camp kitchen table already. I also have an outdoor kitchen with cooktop. I am just looking for an actual grill.

Thanks in advance!

~Dana~

We also use the Weber Q and really like it but in order to use the existing LP lines on your RV, you will need to remove the high pressure regulator on the grill. After that you won’t be able to use the small bottles on the grill without putting the regulator back on. I believe there are You-tube videos that show how to do this.

Vicki

shorts said:
in order to use the existing LP lines on your RV, you will need to remove the high pressure regulator on the grill. After that you won?t be able to use the small bottles on the grill without putting the regulator back on.

This is the opposite of my understanding. I recently installed an Extend-A-Stay on my rig between the onboard LP tank and the regulator. There is a port to bring in unregulated high pressure LP from an external tank (which I am using) and an output port for high pressure LP gas to a grill (which I have not yet used). The hose provided for the grill has a fitting to attach to the grill in place of a small bottle. Intuitively this makes sense to me, the grill's regulator would be used to regulate the high pressure gas whether it comes from the small bottle or from the coach tank. It would seem if one removed the grill regulator you'd be running unregulated gas to the grill. Again, I haven't used mine yet so could be missing something here, plus I've heard that there are "high pressure" and "low pressure" grills and each is designed specifically for regulated or unregulated gas.

Scott, yes ,the way you've done it is correct since you tapped in before the RV's regulator. Most quick-connect fittings on RV's, however, are plumbed in after the regulator so they are already low pressure and would not work to supply a normal portable grill since it would run through a second regulator.

My TT came with a grill that attaches to the rear of the unit and swings around to the side for cooking. I unboxed it, hook it to the propane, cooked a couple of burgers, and then spent the next 30 minutes cleaning the darn thing before boxing it back up and never to use it again. I like my portable charcoal grill which I just throw in the back of the truck after cooling and emptying the old coals into the fire pit. Plus I like the flavors when cooking over coal vs. propane.
Back to the original question, I can't help with that but always here good things about the Weber.

Joezeppy said:
Scott, yes ,the way you've done it is correct since you tapped in before the RV's regulator. Most quick-connect fittings on RV's, however, are plumbed in after the regulator so they are already low pressure and would not work to supply a normal portable grill since it would run through a second regulator.

OK thx.

I'm next moving to a spot that has a large external tank with regulator, so I'm adding a fitting after my regulator as well. This way I'll be able to accommodate either setup.

Weber Q with a 5 pound tank. Have no desire to be tethered to the motorhome. The small tank offers much more flexibility in setting up the site, and they last forever.

HappyWanderer said:
a 5 pound tank.

Have you had any issues getting the 5 pounder filled? I've read reports where some places say they can't fill anything smaller than 20 pounds

Sun2Retire said:
Have you had any issues getting the 5 pounder filled? I've read reports where some places say they can't fill anything smaller than 20 pounds

No, we've been using one for about 10 years with no problem.

We have a Colemen Roadtrip but it's horrible to cook on and rickety, my wife bought it for me for Fathers day but she hates it too. We have since went backwards and are using a cooking grill over the campfire when we want to cook outside (if allowed).

I used a Coleman Roadtrip for years and liked it but as already noted, it did have hot spots. I now have their NXT2000 model which is rectangular rather than oval and it has a nicer burner. It still cooks hot so you have to watch it closely but it does seem to cook evenly around the grill. It is heavy - it can be a chore hauling it up into the bed of the truck sometimes.

The one thing I do not like is the grease cup - it hooks to the bottom of the grill with an X-shaped spring/hanger and you almost have to be under the grill to hook it up right. And it has to be removed to close the stand. I'm sure a better bracket could be fashioned but I've just not taken the time to do so.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nativoacai
Back
Top Bottom