sewer hookup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TrvlShell

I've been looking at a few campgrounds (in New England) that on their web site, indicate they have sewer hookups, but when I read the reviews, the reviews indicate that the sewer hookup is gray water only.  Is this common?  Also, I've seen reviewers indicate that they couldn't use the gray sewer hookup because it didn't fit their sewer hose.  What would we need to use one of these "gray sewer hookups" (special hose?, some kind of adapter?, something else?).
Thanks!

TrvlShell said:
I've been looking at a few campgrounds (in New England) that on their web site, indicate they have sewer hookups, but when I read the reviews, the reviews indicate that the sewer hookup is gray water only.  Is this common?  Also, I've seen reviewers indicate that they couldn't use the gray sewer hookup because it didn't fit their sewer hose.  What would we need to use one of these "gray sewer hookups" (special hose?, some kind of adapter?, something else?).
Thanks!

I live in New England and have never heard of that, (Gray water only). I would call the CG and ask them. As far as the size of the pipe, I've never ran into that problem either.

I've not run into that either and have camped in New England numerous times. Nor have I heard of anything like that except at tent sites where there is only a drywell for disposing of pans of gray water, washing dishes, etc. Those usually don't have any hose fitting at all - it's just a small rock pit designed to let waste water slowly dissipate into the ground.  Those are not considered sewers or hook-ups, though.

Is it possible that those campgrounds have some sites with actual sewer hook-ups and others with the type of drywell I described?  It's quite common for campgrounds to offer differing evels of amenities at its sites.  Perhaps if you identified the particular campground(s) in question,  we could comment better.

Thanks Rene and Gary!  One of the campgrounds is Partridge Hollow in Massachusetts.  (I saw this also mentioned for a campground in NH but don't remember which one).  Some of the reviews on RV Park Reviews mentioned the gray water sewer.  When I first read that, I thought they were referring to all sewer hookups, but rereading the reviews for Partridge Hollow, I think Gary is correct that the campground has sites with different hookups and perhaps the reviews that mentioned the gray water sewer were on sites without actual sewer hookups.   

Thanks for the help!  We're new to RVing (don't even have the RV yet, but hoping that will change in a few more weeks) so I've been researching campgrounds not too far from home for us to get our feet wet. 

Actually, it's fairly common out this way. To use the gray water connection, replace your sewer cap with one that has a garden hose adapter/cap. Use a short length of garden hose to the gray water connection, which will probably be a one-inch PVC pipe in the ground.

I use the same gray water hose to flush my black water tank at the dump station. My fresh water hoses are white, this hose is actually gray.

BTW, Partridge Hollow is a decent campground.

Rene T said:
I live in New England and have never heard of that, (Gray water only). I would call the CG and ask them. As far as the size of the pipe, I've never ran into that problem either.

Rene,

I believe that gray water systems are illegal in New Hampshire.

Thanks HappyWanderer.  So would the "garden hose adapter cap" attach directly to the sewer connection on the RV (or does it attach to the end of the sewer hose).  As far as a hose, if we had a hose that we used for flushing the blank water tank, would it be okay to use that hose?  (Or would we need 3 hoses - one for fresh water, one for gray, and one for black tank flush?)

Also, since it sounds like you might be familiar with Partridge Hollow, do you know if there sewer sites really are gray water only?

Thanks!

TrvlShell said:
Thanks HappyWanderer.  So would the "garden hose adapter cap" attach directly to the sewer connection on the RV (or does it attach to the end of the sewer hose).  As far as a hose, if we had a hose that we used for flushing the blank water tank, would it be okay to use that hose?  (Or would we need 3 hoses - one for fresh water, one for gray, and one for black tank flush?)

Also, since it sounds like you might be familiar with Partridge Hollow, do you know if there sewer sites really are gray water only?

Thanks!

This is the cap you'll need and put it right on your sewer pipe not the hose.

https://www.amazon.com/Trailer-VALTERRA-LLC-Bayonet-Sewer/dp/B01KR7B892/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1521252771&sr=8-2&keywords=rv+sewer+cap+with+hose+connector

Use the same hose you use for flushing the black tank.

TrvlShell said:

To be honest, I don't remember. It's been a few years, and a lot of campgrounds, since we were there.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
urnwholesaler
Back
Top Bottom