Blog Tour USA: cross country in an RV

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sellsius

Hi, my name is Joe. I'm a newbie.  My partner, Rudy  & I are going cross country in a 25' Class C RVfrom June 30 to July 31. It's a promotional tour to promote blogging and a charity we want to get started called "Good Samaritan" (its for real estate pros to offer free services to needy folks).  We estimate it's about 8,000 miles. Here is our tentative list of city stops.  We created a blog to document the trip here.
I came to this forum to get educated and you folks have been great.  Betty suggested I post route talk, destinations, etc here.  So here I am.

One question I have off the bat---we want to celebrate July 4th in Washington DC & wonder where we can reserve a good spot to see the fireworks. Any ideas?  Thanks all.

1. New York City, New York
  2. Boston, Massachusetts
  3. Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
  4. Newark, Delaware
  5. Washington, D.C.
  6. Charlottesville, Virginia
  7. Orlando, Florida
  8. Miami, Florida (SOBE)
  9. Tampa, Florida
  10. Atlanta, Georgia
  11. Columbus, Ohio
  12. Detroit, Michigan
  13. Chicago, Illinois
  14. St. Paul, Minnesota
  15. Denver, Colorado
  16. Phoenix, Arizona
  17. San Diego, California
  18. Las Vegas, Nevada
  19. Salt Lake City, Utah
  20. Boise, Idaho
  21. Seattle, Washington
  22. Portland, Oregon
  23. Reno, Nevada
  24. San Francisco, California

Twenty-four cities in 31 days -- WHEW!!!  I hope you're a lot younger than I am.  Good luck and keep us posted!

[I see you found your DC location in the Destination forum.]

Glad it's you and not me.  1 month maybe through Fl and up to Ohio and that is more than enough if you intend to see anything.  There's traffic out there and you need rest time.  Heck you can spend 2 months in Fl and not see half of it.  It takes a week in the Smithsonian. Atlanta is a great town but you sure can't see it in 10 minutes. you seem to be set for a Marathon not a vacation.    Again  Glad it's you and not me.

If you can fit it in, the U.S. Air Force museum in Dayton is awesome.....but it takes a full day or more to really see it. Also, the Wright Brothers sites in Dayton are worth a stop. Probably more to see and do in Dayton than in Columbus.

wendycoke said:
..... the U.S. Air Force museum in Dayton is awesome.....

It sure is Wendy. IIRC that's at Wright Patterson AFB.

Just looked it up and they've changed the name of the museum to 'the National Museum of the United States Air Force'.

Tom said:
It sure is Wendy. IIRC that's at Wright Patterson AFB.

Just looked it up and they've changed the name of the museum to 'the National Museum of the United States Air Force'.

And they have expanded it so I wouldn't try to get through it in less than two days now and three would be better.

Wendy have you been to the Air Museum in Rantoul, ILL on I-57.  It's at the Closed Air Force Base.  I've passed it perhaps 100 times and always at the wrong time, like Sat night and heading to a given place.  Got to make a point to get there next time Thur.

Shayne said:
Wendy have you been to the Air Museum in Rantoul, ILL on I-57.  It's at the Closed Air Force Base.  I've passed it perhaps 100 times and always at the wrong time, like Sat night and heading to a given place.  Got to make a point to get there next time Thur.

Never been there. Will have to put it on my "to visit" list if we're ever passing through Illinois. Usually any time we're in Illinois, we're just passing through on our way to somewhere else.

Alaskansnowbirds said:
And they have expanded it so I wouldn't try to get through it in less than two days now and three would be better.

We were there in July (Air Force Museum in Dayton at Wright-Patterson). Spent 2 whole days and still didn't see everything. Anyone going should sign up as soon as they get there for the presidential planes tour...very cool although several are a bit claustrophobic.

Me too and I lived there for 70 yrs  It's north of I 70  and 1  57  junction near Effingham  but about 35 miles to the north on I 57  Also very nice outlet mall and Amish Area about 10 miles north of that.

Joe:

A very useful tool to consider (i use) is Rand McNallys TRIPMAKER DELUXE..... Aprox. $70  And for another $25 (for transponder) one can get GPS on your notebook as you travel.

One can identify the destination and stops, the time at each stop, your driving speeds, break times as you drive, and the program gives you a detailed map, miles traveled and hours required to drive.....

In order to come close to that agenda, you'll (probably) be driving a few 24 hour days, taking turns driving of course for safety. But... if one of you can not rest properly, then safety will suffer. 

I will use program and list stops in the order you have mentioned and get miles and driving time required for you..... how long it will take depends on length of stops of course.

Joe:

The link you provided will not get the BLOG. Help.

Also.... where are you starting from? (thought blog might say....)

Jim,

The URL was fine, it just wasn't a 'live' link. I just made it live so you can just click on it.

Thanks Tom for the link. 

Mr. Bojangles, your advice is top notch and I will follow it.  We are starting from NYC 6/30.  Ending in San Francisco 7/31 (we are speaking at a Bloggers Connect Conference)

To all---yes, it is a marathon promotional tour to promote blogging (we are real estate bloggers at blog.sellsiusrealestate.com) and our charitable idea called Good Samaritan Realtor (may sound oxymoronic (is that the word?)  but we think we can do some good with it.  We already have a few folks offering their services.  We  will try to sign up more on the road.  (We will also promote our new classified website sellsiusrealestate.com, but it isn't the main focus)

We will keep you all posted on our progress.  We may do a live streaming video using ustream.com.  We also plan to have an interactive map on the blog so you can click on a city we visited and get posts, photos and video.  Some friends have offered to help set that up for us.

I am 52 and my driving partner is 32.  We thank you all in advance for your generous help and guidance.  God bless all.

wendycoke said:
Anyone going should sign up as soon as they get there for the presidential planes tour...very cool although several are a bit claustrophobic.

For those with a military or DOD ID card you can drive over to the presidential hanger yourself, you don't have to take the bus tour.

If you don't have an ID card take Wendy's advise and sign up as early as you can. When we were there in July the tours were full by about 9 or 9:30 in the morning. You can only sign up on the day that you're taking the tour.

Wendy,  when you take the bus over, do they allow you enough time to also tour the R&D/Flight Test Galleries hanger right next to the presidential hanger?

For those wanting more information, the museum's web site is National Museum of the United States Air Force

Alaskansnowbirds said:
Wendy,  when you take the bus over, do they allow you enough time to also tour the R&D/Flight Test Galleries hanger right next to the presidential hanger?

We had plenty of time to do both hangers. Mike took lots of pictures, we went in all the planes, and we read every interpretive sign and looked at everything in both hangers. Some people on the tour were ready to leave 15 minutes before the bus was due to go back. Most finished up just about the time the tour person was announcing the bus was ready to go.

IIRC we signed up at 9 am for the 4 pm tour.

Back
Top Bottom