EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: Small Grand Design 5th Wheel with Ram 1500 V8 Hemi w/air bags?  (Read 1922 times)

JustKeepMoving

• ---
Hello all, we are new here. Previously, we owned a 16 ft Starcraft TT and a 31 ft Class C Thor Freedom Elite for weekending.

My husband had just (in 2017) bought a new 2017 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi (Lonestar edition) with tow package and an axle ratio of 3.9. We had planned on having this truck for several years until he retired from the Air Force and then upgrade to a diesel 3500 with perhaps an Arctic Fox 5th wheel with fantastic storage capacity to full time in. Well in comes Murphy, and my husband had a mini stroke (no deficits) in December with 21 years toward his retirement. He had a cardiac cath procedure to close a hole in his heart last week and is doing well. Now he has a high chance of being medically retired some time this year. So now we are trying to figure out what to do and still want to full time, but now already have a smaller truck than we planned at this point. The truck is already paid off.

We are unsure of full-timing in a TT with 2 teenage daughters, nor do we really like TT in general except for perhaps the Minnie Plus. We really like Grand Design and finally got the change to check out their 5th wheels today and were told that only the Reflection 28BH https://www.granddesignrv.com/showroom/2018/fifth-wheel/reflection/floorplans/28bh (which we really liked) is small enough for our 1500, but we would need to install air bags (quoted $800) to give the truck more leeway on towing capacity for safety.  We do not plan to be dry camping much at all since we will be new to full-timing, so we won't have the need to travel with full tanks.

Ram towing capacity: 10,300, with Air bags: around 13,000.

Reflection 28BH:  Storage capacity 2,100.
UVW: 8895 lbs
GVWR: 10995 lbs

We also looked at a Grand Design TT that was the same layout as the 5th wheel. The 2800BH with a hitch weight of 575 and total capacity GVWR 7,500.

The Winnebago Minnie Plus has a capacity of 8,800. https://winnebagoind.com/products/travel-trailer/2017/minnie-plus/specifications

We know to buy the bigger truck before you buy the 5th wheel, but now in our situation we already have this one and are trying to figure out how to use what we have and then in maybe 5 years we will upgrade. We really don't want to have to go and already trade the 1500 in for another truck, but if we have to then we will consider it. My husband's father and mother 'n law part time in an Arctic Fox 5th wheel and GMC diesel 3500, so we will be getting their advice too.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2018, 06:02:06 PM by JustKeepMoving »

Alpena Jeff

• ---
Re: Small Grand Design 5th Wheel with Ram 1500 V8 Hemi w/air bags?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2018, 04:58:14 PM »
You are about to get some eye opening advice from the experts.
I'll get the popcorn going.
Jeff & Judy
2016 Newmar Ventana 3427
2018 GMC Canyon All Terrain toad
Blue Ox Aventa LX - RVi3 - EEZRV
Retired to "the lake" in north Michigan

JustKeepMoving

• ---
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2018, 05:04:47 PM »
That is fine, that is why I am here. I am assuming the answers will be no way in hell.  ;)

Alpena Jeff

• ---
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2018, 05:15:18 PM »
I've worn these folks out in the last year. They might by sleeping.
Jeff & Judy
2016 Newmar Ventana 3427

Boonieman

• ---
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2018, 05:25:35 PM »
 I am no expert at all, but on fifth wheels the pin weight is what is important. The payload capacity is going to get you way before your towing capacity on your current tow vehicle. I did a quick look at yours on line and payload capacity for your truck is a hair under 1600 pounds. It will be overloaded as soon as you hook up it. Sorry for the news, Iíve been through this myself and had to get rid of a year old truck for a bigger one. Ouch!
2016 Chevrolet Dually/Duramax
2011 Fuzion 322
2016 Harley Trike
3 cherished dogs, Moo, Molly, Mia the one eyed pup 😊
Originally from South Dakota, currently reside in Kentucky

JustKeepMoving

• ---
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2018, 05:28:08 PM »
Thanks for the comment. I looked and the hitch weight for the Grand Design and it is 1545. So then the air bags are irrelevant; that is what we needed to know.

Oldgator73

• ---
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2018, 05:29:37 PM »
That is fine, that is why I am here. I am assuming the answers will be no way in hell.  ;)

You'll hear there's a way in hell but not here on earth.
Retired Air Force
2016 Winnie Drop
2016 Nissan Frontier

JustKeepMoving

• ---
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2018, 05:32:05 PM »
Looks like our options are to either get a bigger truck or go with something like the Minnie Plus or Grand Design TT.  Much to think about.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2018, 06:05:58 PM by JustKeepMoving »

Smith

• ---
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2018, 05:54:41 PM »
I pull my 2017 Reflection 28BH with a 2010 Ford F350. There is no way I would try to pull it with a half-ton truck. I havenít weighed it loaded but intend to. Not sure where Grand Design gets that low hitch weight. Twenty percent of the weight goes on the hitch. That figures out to 2200 pounds at gross weight. I can definitely feel the trailer behind me.
2017 Grand Design Reflection 28BH

JustKeepMoving

• ---
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2018, 06:17:24 PM »
Thank you, Smith, for the input. We will definely learn more about hitch weights.

spencerpj

• ---
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2018, 06:32:11 PM »
We will definely learn more about hitch weights.

You are at the right place for guidance. Best not to rely on any salesman, they have a known reputation of not being informed or not caring.  Some (most) will tell you whatever they need to for a sale.

kdbgoat

• ---
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2018, 06:46:07 PM »
I'm a big fan of Ram 1500s, and really enjoyed the ones I've owned. Air bags don't not increase towing or payload capacities, they just help handle loads better. Two things a tow vehicle must do is tow the weight and carry the weight.. As stated before, the fiver empty will overload your 1500. Know how to tell if a salesman is lying? His lips are moving. They will state the unloaded weight, tell you not to worry about the GVWR of the fiver or trailer. No one goes camping with an empty trailer. You must also subtract the weight of the passengers (you're got four), and the weight of the hitch, plus whatever else is added in/on the truck since it left the factory. You will need a bigger truck for a fiver regardless of what any salesman tells you. There should be a national law holding salesmen liable when they knowingly let a customer leave the lot with more trailer than what their truck can handle.

Ok, I'm getting hungry. Got any popcorn left Jeff?
I know you believe you understand what you think I said,
But I am not sure you realize what you heard is not what I meant

2016 Leprechaun 319DS

UTTransplant

• ---
  • Cedar Falls, Iowa
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2018, 06:49:38 PM »
All but two of the RV sales folks I have ever worked with were either totally stupid or deliberately lied about payload. They will always tell you that your tow vehicle will pull whatever you are interested in. That being said, tow rating has no bearing on a fifth wheel. Your bed payload capacity is what matters, and you donít have enough in a 1/2 ton truck. The number of 5era that can be towed with even a 3/4 ton is small; most need a 1 ton.

Your choice of a big truck and a 5th wheel, current truck and a small-ish trailer suitable for four, or start looking at motorhomes, especially those with bunk beds. Best of luck, and thank your husband for his service.
Pam and Kevin plus Lily the cat
2014 Outdoors RV Timber Ridge 240RKS For Sale
2015 Ram 2500 Diesel
Tiffin 37PA on order
http://toobusyforwork.com

grashley

• ---
  • Western KY for now.
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2018, 06:51:38 PM »
Just the Facts!

First, welcome to the Forum!  Thanks for asking.

Thank you for your service and prayers for the health issues.

Towing Capacity is 10,300 lbs; 13,000 lbs. with air bags.  These numbers are notoriously optimistic.  The fine print says deduct for the weight of all options.  They only allow 2 passengers @ 150 lbs, and NO CARGO in their calculations.

Do air bags change the truck GVWR and Payload?  I seriously doubt it!!

The loaded, ready to travel FW will weigh 11,000 lbs or more.  That is a PIN WT of 2200 lbs.  You are already well above the truck payload.  Now add the weight of all passengers and cargo in the truck.  (Payload does not include any passengers).  This is an absolute non starter, especially for full timing!

The truck you need will have a yellow placard on the driver door latch pillar that states the max load it can carry.  That number MUST BE LARGER  than the total of Pin Wt ( 20% of GVWR), 200# for a FW hitch, wt of all passengers, cargo and anything else carried in the truck.

Since you plan to full time with 2 teens, you need all the space you can get!  That camper, if purchased, will be traded for a bigger one within 6 months!!

Preacher Gordon, DW Debbie
09 Grand Junction 35 TMS  Progressive HW50C
Andersen Ultimate hitch
2013 F350 Lariat LB SRW Supercab diesel 4X4   TST TMS  Garmin 760
Nimrod Series 70 popup (sold)
It's not a dumb question if you do not know the answer.

henkelphoto

• ---
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2018, 06:52:57 PM »
Hi, just to play pile on, I'll make a comment about the Ram 1500. Although the stats say a tad under 1600 for payload, I'll give you my truck's payload. I have a regular cab 2x4 Tradesman (means that is doesn't have a bunch of options). My payload is listed as 1595-it's probably one of the lightest 1500s Ram makes (meaning the highest payload). So, there you go, if your truck is a extra cab or double cab, it will lower the payload, if you have 4x4 it will lower the payload, and your Lonestar edition will lower your payload. And of course, that's not including you, your husband or your two kids.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2018, 06:54:42 PM by henkelphoto »
Dodge Ram 1500
Keystone Hideout 177lhs

Boonieman

• ---
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2018, 07:04:00 PM »
  I might also suggest if you stick with the idea of a fifth wheel to check out the floor plans of some toy haulers. Ours, and many others, have bunks in the back that raise up to ceiling level when not being used, giving you a lot of nice space back there when you are grilling out, or just sit inside with the back ramp down enjoying the view. Many newer ones have an option that uses the ramp as a deck. Pretty sweet setup.
2011 Fuzion 322
2016 Harley Trike

steveblonde

• ---
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2018, 11:34:39 PM »
Sorry to burst bubbles but Air Bags DO NOT CHANGE PAYLOAD AT ALL. payload on that truck if you look at the drivers side door decal is about 1300 lbs and you should not be pulling ANY 5er with it period. The truck wasnt and isnt designed for a 5er
2015 Voltage 3305 Toy Hauler - loaded
2017 Ford Escape my Daily driver - first Ford in 25 yrs
2017 Black on Black F350 Diesel Dually loaded (First Ford Truck after 17 GMs) 5167lbs cargo/weight capacity -DRKHORZ

" If you're not living on the edge you're taking up too much space"
From Canada Eh

Alpena Jeff

• ---
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2018, 07:03:53 AM »

Ok, I'm getting hungry. Got any popcorn left Jeff?
Mr. Goat.
The corn is long gone however....
Once company awakes, I'll make another batch. Goes great with western omelettes and Zing Zang if you know what I mean!
Happy St. Patrick's Day!
To the OP....I told you these guys (universal term for both genders) are good. Safety for your family and ours is top priority.
Welcome to the Forum. Keep the questions coming!
Jeff
Jeff & Judy
2016 Newmar Ventana 3427

« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2018, 07:43:24 AM »
Sorry about your hubby and wishing you the best.  Been active duty for 27 years AF and 3 to go and only good thing I can say is it takes Big AF months to do MEB and he is over 20 so retirement is a give me. 

Personally would not tow over 8.5K with a 1/2 ton, TT or 5r.  Your second choice is better.  End of the day, its your call and but be smart about it.  Using suspension upgrades dont necessary increase weight capacity of tow vechicle. 

Bought a 29RES HT 5r on a Sunday to tow with my '15 F150 3.5. (all numbers worked).  Monday my girlfriend bought me a '17 F250 6.7.  Reran numbers, called my camper sales lady because we didnt pick up new camper and upgraded to 344MKS Cougar. 

Bottom line is there are true HT towable 5rs.  Trailer magazine just did article on GD might wanna check out.

Be VERY selective of who you listen to on this site.  Some believe if you are over your weight, your dog will die, get HIV, oceans will evaporate and aliens will steal your camper. 

Dave
IYAAYAS

steveblonde

• ---
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2018, 12:19:20 PM »
Sorry about your hubby and wishing you the best.  Been active duty for 27 years AF and 3 to go and only good thing I can say is it takes Big AF months to do MEB and he is over 20 so retirement is a give me. 

Personally would not tow over 8.5K with a 1/2 ton, TT or 5r.  Your second choice is better.  End of the day, its your call and but be smart about it.  Using suspension upgrades dont necessary increase weight capacity of tow vechicle. 

Bought a 29RES HT 5r on a Sunday to tow with my '15 F150 3.5. (all numbers worked).  Monday my girlfriend bought me a '17 F250 6.7.  Reran numbers, called my camper sales lady because we didnt pick up new camper and upgraded to 344MKS Cougar. 

Bottom line is there are true HT towable 5rs.  Trailer magazine just did article on GD might wanna check out.

Be VERY selective of who you listen to on this site.  Some believe if you are over your weight, your dog will die, get HIV, oceans will evaporate and aliens will steal your camper. 

Dave
IYAAYAS

I have never seen a 1/2 towable 5er they say you can but its not simple and they are playing with words - typical 5er has a pin of about 1300lbs a typical 1/2 has a cargo cap of 1300 lbs so it doable right? WRONG WRONG And  WRONG
1st nobody tows empty
2nd you forgot to add the hitch and passengers 200 for the hitch and ??? For the passengers - guess what your already over by at least 400 lbs now add 1000lbs worth of gear to the trailer now add 600lbs of water shall i keep going ?
« Last Edit: March 17, 2018, 07:23:45 PM by jackiemac »
2017 Black on Black F350 Diesel Dually loaded (First Ford Truck after 17 GMs) 5167lbs cargo/weight capacity -DRKHORZ

From Canada Eh

JustKeepMoving

• ---
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2018, 12:25:42 PM »
Thank you for all of the responses and information on the air bags. It is always nice to verify when you think someone is blowing smoke.

grashley

• ---
  • Western KY for now.
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2018, 06:05:15 PM »
There MAY BE A VERY FEW half ton towable FW, but very few and very few trucks capable of towing them.  Advertisements lie!  The actual Payload of YOUR truck - not some chart showing the payload of a naked base trim truck - must be larger than REAL pin wt AS LOADED TO CAMP, not dry pin wt., PLUS the weight of the FW hitch (200) PLUS the weight of all passengers and cargo.

A 9,000# GVWR  FW with a family of 4 -->  1800 Pin wt + 200# hitch + 500# passengers + 100# misc cargo = 2600# MINIMUM payload.  Ford's High Payload package will exceed that payload, but only in a reg cab model.  No room for the kids,
Preacher Gordon, DW Debbie
09 Grand Junction 35 TMS  Progressive HW50C
Andersen Ultimate hitch
2013 F350 Lariat LB SRW Supercab diesel 4X4   TST TMS  Garmin 760
Nimrod Series 70 popup (sold)
It's not a dumb question if you do not know the answer.

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
  • Celebrating 25 years of The RV Forum online.
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2018, 07:12:57 PM »
Hi Dave and welcome to The RV Forum.

Been active duty for 27 years AF and 3 to go ...

My personal thanks for your service to our country and for the protection of our citizens.

Some believe if you are over your weight, your dog will die, get HIV, oceans will evaporate and aliens will steal your camper.

I assume that was some kind of humor, although not the friendliest of first posts. I agree that some folks are over-conservative, but that's better advice than one of the alternatives. Hopefully, you'll find a way to fit in with our diverse community, even if you don't agree with everyone's comments or advice.
Tom.  Need help? Click the Help button in the toolbar above.

RVRAC

• ---
« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2018, 09:51:06 PM »
Bigger truck or a TT. Sorry as it is not what we want to hear.
2017 Leprechaun 311 FS
Toad: 2016 Jeep Patriot
American Dolly
Home: WI
Snowbird 6 months/yr.

« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2018, 06:49:20 AM »
Another reason why I seldom frequent this site.  People are pushy VERY pushy on opinions and only their opinions matter.  Oh ya, administrators changed my name from "Trump Supporter" to "Presidential Supporter".  Guess it offended someone. 

Alpena Jeff

• ---
« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2018, 07:25:02 AM »
Presidential supporter.
We all have choices. If this site isn't what you are looking for, there are other options.
Best of luck whatever you decide.
Jeff
Jeff & Judy
2016 Newmar Ventana 3427

kdbgoat

• ---
« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2018, 07:51:39 AM »
I'm wondering if "Presidential Supporter" isn't another name for a member/past member that just wants to bad mouth the site and people on the site.

2016 Leprechaun 319DS

steveblonde

• ---
« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2018, 08:20:55 AM »
I'm wondering if "Presidential Supporter" isn't another name for a member/past member that just wants to bad mouth the site and people on the site.

I wondered the same thing

From Canada Eh

John Canfield

• Forum Staff
  • ---
    • Jane and John's Internet Home
« Reply #28 on: March 18, 2018, 08:53:32 AM »
....Be VERY selective of who you listen to on this site. ..
That is sage advice for life in general regardless of the information delivery method - face to face, radio, TV, Internet, Wastebook, etc.  There are some super-sharp folks on the forum and some less 'experienced'. After hanging around for a couple of months you will easily be able to distinguish the wheat from the chaff.

Thanks for your career service! I was USAF 1968-72: Lackland AFB, Shepard AFB, Kindly AB (Bermuda), Bergstrom AFB (Austin), Tan Son Nhut AB, Vietnam. AFSC 362x4. Sewed on my 4th stripe at 36 months. That seems like a million years ago. Member of VFW Post 7105.
--John
2005 Horizon 40AD, 2006 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited
Our Horizon projects
Our weather

Pugapooh

• ---
  • Wanna buy a truck?
« Reply #29 on: March 18, 2018, 11:44:18 AM »
Another reason why I seldom frequent this site.  People are pushy VERY pushy on opinions and only their opinions matter.  Oh ya, administrators changed my name from "Trump Supporter" to "Presidential Supporter".  Guess it offended someone.

How's that popcorn coming along? 
2006 Dutchmen Denali 29 RL fiver
2006 Dodge 2500 Big Horn
2001 GMC Sierra 3500

Oldgator73

• ---
« Reply #30 on: March 18, 2018, 11:56:35 AM »
That is sage advice for life in general regardless of the information delivery method - face to face, radio, TV, Internet, Wastebook, etc.  There are some super-sharp folks on the forum and some less 'experienced'. After hanging around for a couple of months you will easily be able to distinguish the wheat from the chaff.

Thanks for your career service! I was USAF 1968-72: Lackland AFB, Shepard AFB, Kindly AB (Bermuda), Bergstrom AFB (Austin), Tan Son Nhut AB, Vietnam. AFSC 362x4. Sewed on my 4th stripe at 36 months. That seems like a million years ago. Member of VFW Post 7105.

Lucky you being stationed in Bermuda. I retired out of Lackland, was there 6 years. Went to school several times at Shepard.
Retired Air Force
2016 Winnie Drop
2016 Nissan Frontier

Boonieman

• ---
« Reply #31 on: March 18, 2018, 04:12:35 PM »
  The cool thing about a forum is you never know who has some life experience that can help you out. A new user with one post and happens to be a licensed electrician could easily answer questions about certain topics and give great advice. ďInexperienceĒ at RVíing doesnít mean you canít be a contributor to these forums at all. Most of us can occasional give solid advice depending on our personal experiences  to someone in certain areas regardless if we have a bazillion posts on an RV forum. Personally, I never discount anyoneís opinions or advice. I might not use it, but I listen to it.
2011 Fuzion 322
2016 Harley Trike

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
  • Celebrating 25 years of The RV Forum online.
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #32 on: March 18, 2018, 04:22:39 PM »
My other half watches 'every' RV-related show on TV (she has entire series recorded), and I sometimes (often) shake my head when I hear comments and advice given by numerous salespeople.
Tom.  Need help? Click the Help button in the toolbar above.

Jimdamedic

• ---
« Reply #33 on: March 18, 2018, 04:32:17 PM »
We have a Dodge 1500 along with a Keystone Xougar Xlite 5th wheel. We purchased the truck before the camper and, after we did, decided to upgrade to the 5th wheel. Our Cougar, loaded to camping ready, along with my wife and I along with two dogs is right at the rear axle max. I mean right smack in the dot. The dogs have to poop before they get in right on the dot. We have pulled that rig all over the Midwest and I have never once felt out of control or in trouble. Thatís in the Midwest and not the Rockies.

It can be done.

JustKeepMoving

• ---
« Reply #34 on: March 18, 2018, 06:26:11 PM »
Thank you grashley and Tom for your responses. We are now looking into the GD Imagine TT 2800BH as the Reflection TTs are all too heavy for us.

John Canfield,  I was also active duty for 4 years and have been out since 2001. That already feels like ages ago.  I was stationed in NC and MT and deployed to Saudi, UAE, and Kosovo. With my husband we have also been stationed in MO, Guam, NV, TN, and now back in TX at Randolph. Seems like the perfect place to come full circle and retire. We actually met while both deployment to the UAE. With all our moving, we cannot think of any one place we would want to ďsettleĒ hence the name JustKeepMoving and the plan to full time travel.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2018, 07:00:41 PM by JustKeepMoving »

Oldgator73

• ---
« Reply #35 on: March 18, 2018, 06:40:42 PM »

At least they didn't change you handle to "Athletic Supporter". You know, like my friend Jock, who is a Strapping good fellow.
Retired Air Force
2016 Winnie Drop
2016 Nissan Frontier

steveblonde

• ---
« Reply #36 on: March 18, 2018, 07:38:32 PM »
At least they didn't change you handle to "Athletic Supporter". You know, like my friend Jock, who is a Strapping good fellow.

Lmao :)

From Canada Eh

longhaul

• ---
« Reply #37 on: March 18, 2018, 10:23:01 PM »
Thank you grashley and Tom for your responses. We are now looking into the GD Imagine TT 2800BH as the Reflection TTs are all too heavy for us.
Good idea as the 1500 Ram with that small 3900 lb RAWR is maxed out with 1400-1600 lb load in the bed.
 Your 1500 Ram as any 1/2 ton truck is perfectly able to safely   tow a 5th wheel trailer as long as it meets the trucks tow rating and load carrying ability .Those 1/2 ton towable  5th wheel trailers are out here. ..example....... http://www.allencampermfg.com/Up-to-27--5th-Wheel.html.
 Their small.
 Thats why most 1/2 ton truck owners with the small 3800-3900 RAWR opt for a bigger TT.

Air bags....great choice for helping the rear suspension carry more weight in a level position. A LT C or D  tire on the truck is another upgrade over the softer OEM P tire..IF you feel their needed. Don't buy anything till you load the combo up and make a short trip down the road. Then is the time to decide if the truck needs help

This site is typical RV website as members have differing experience using a truck to pull/carry a truck camper....a travel trailer....a GN or 5th wheel trailer or any type of trailer. Some have done it for years....some have done it for a living....some with a couple of rv trailers for 6-8 years making a few short trips a year/etc so we get a varied opinion on will a half ton do it.....or a 3/4 ton.....or a one ton.
 Some members can differ with others in a nice way and a few  others.....??.  After a while you learn who fits where so overall read between the lines for good sound advice. 

Oldgator73

• ---
« Reply #38 on: March 19, 2018, 06:42:21 AM »
" This site is typical RV website as members have differing experience using a truck to pull/carry a truck camper....a travel trailer....a GN or 5th wheel trailer or any type of trailer. Some have done it for years....some have done it for a living....some with a couple of rv trailers for 6-8 years making a few short trips a year/etc so we get a varied opinion on will a half ton do it.....or a 3/4 ton.....or a one ton.
 Some members can differ with others in a nice way and a few  others.....??.  After a while you learn who fits where so overall read between the lines for good sound advice."

So very true. What works for you, what I am comfortable with, what you like, what I like are all subjective. Sure, some situations presented are grossly dangerous and/or unworkable and if any of those situations are presented they are fair game for criticism.  But if I have or want a 1/2 ton tow vehicle that is clearly capable of handling my TT or 5th wheel or whatever I am towing and I am comfortable with the pairing, then all other opinions are moot.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2018, 06:45:03 AM by Oldgator73 »
Retired Air Force
2016 Winnie Drop
2016 Nissan Frontier

RGP

• ---
« Reply #39 on: March 21, 2018, 10:54:17 PM »
There is nothing mystical here. Car companies consider vehicle weight, transmission load, frame strength, brake capabilities, accessories etc. and determine max cargo for each vehicle.

You can, add springs, tough tires, air bags, and other accessories to improve the ride and handling but you have not changed the frame strength, axle ratings and several other factors.

There are those who can build a Baja runner or monster truck but most of the changes folks make, improve handling but not capabilities.

It is true you can run a bit over the design limit and many people are blissfully unaware they are doing it and never tow enough mile to notice. But you cannot negate the increased wear and tear.

If you need a bigger truck, you need a bigger truck.

tyefighter

• ---
« Reply #40 on: April 15, 2018, 09:51:55 PM »
I worked driving tow trucks in the 90's and still talk to the drivers that I worked with.  I have towed many RV's, pickups, vans and what ever that thought just because they have a big motor that it will pull anything.  In some areas that is very correct a big V8 or diesel will pull anything but safely is another issue.  When the rig you are towing or something else happens, (get hit by another vehicle) and you wind up in the ditch or upside down and the police show up, you might be in trouble.  If you are overloaded and the cops will check the tag on the tow rig and what ever you have been towing, you will get a citation.  The cops now have the choice to also charge you for all kinds of other things, the worst is felony reckless driving.  Now the really bad news, your insurance company can and probably will say that you were at fault for being over loaded and will not pay a dime in the damages.  And you still have to pay the tow bill and I loved to add all the numbers up for the total bill.
Never caught a fish I didn't like
Bend, OR the dry side of the state

gravesdiesel

• ---
« Reply #41 on: April 16, 2018, 10:46:28 AM »
  I might also suggest if you stick with the idea of a fifth wheel to check out the floor plans of some toy haulers. Ours, and many others, have bunks in the back that raise up to ceiling level when not being used, giving you a lot of nice space back there when you are grilling out, or just sit inside with the back ramp down enjoying the view. Many newer ones have an option that uses the ramp as a deck. Pretty sweet setup.
I second that!  I am looking at the Grand Design 350M and 351M.  Both are beautifully equipped fifth wheel toy haulers.  The garage area would be perfect for your children because it also includes a half bath, television, its own entry door and is available with its own AC unit too.  I want this unit for the garage, but the ability for me to sleep another couple with us is nice too. 
2016 KZ Spree 262 RKS
2003 Dodge 3500 4 door flatbed 4x4 diesel, 6 speed
1996 Dodge 3500 extra cab flatbed 4x4 diesel 5 speed
2006 Arctic Cat TRV diesel 4x4 ATV
(2) 1981 Yamaha G1 2 cycle golf carts
Many other diesels on the farm!

steveblonde

• ---
« Reply #42 on: April 16, 2018, 07:32:35 PM »
I second that!  I am looking at the Grand Design 350M and 351M.  Both are beautifully equipped fifth wheel toy haulers.  The garage area would be perfect for your children because it also includes a half bath, television, its own entry door and is available with its own AC unit too.  I want this unit for the garage, but the ability for me to sleep another couple with us is nice too.

Toy Haulers are great but your looking at a 1ton 3500 srw minimum for almost any toyhauler 5th wheel, my Voltage loaded with gear was within 200lbs of my cargo cap on my 2013 Silverado 3500  with me, fiance, and our 3  dogs

From Canada Eh

irishtom29

• ---
« Reply #43 on: April 16, 2018, 10:04:25 PM »
If you are overloaded and the cops will check the tag on the tow rig and what ever you have been towing, you will get a citation.  The cops now have the choice to also charge you for all kinds of other things, the worst is felony reckless driving.  Now the really bad news, your insurance company can and probably will say that you were at fault for being over loaded and will not pay a dime in the damages.  And you still have to pay the tow bill and I loved to add all the numbers up for the total bill.

My understanding is that weight laws that pertain to commercial vehicles and towing donít apply to non commercial use. Itís also my understanding that insurance companies donít (maybe canít) refuse to pay a claim simply because a driver is at fault, indeed, I had coverage for accidents in which I was at fault. I also wonder if coppers check weights, GVWRs, GCWRs etc. after a wreck. And how they would arrive at the weight of a trailer after a wreck. And if they even care.

In any event Iím not a lawyer and so I donít give legal opinions, especially given that all 50 states have various laws. So take this accordingly.

kdbgoat

• ---
« Reply #44 on: April 17, 2018, 05:46:58 AM »
In Delaware, a person's vehicle is registered for a certain GVW. If one is over that GVW, they can, and sometimes do, receive a ticket for being overweight. That's commercial and non-commercial. My F-250 was registered at something like 8500#. I changed it to 10,000# to match the factory rating, and of course paid the extra money for the higher weight rating.

2016 Leprechaun 319DS

gravesdiesel

• ---
« Reply #45 on: April 17, 2018, 09:20:00 AM »
Since he has no signature, I believe you are correct.
2016 KZ Spree 262 RKS

gravesdiesel

• ---
« Reply #46 on: April 17, 2018, 09:27:00 AM »

Toy Haulers are great but your looking at a 1ton 3500 srw minimum for almost any toyhauler 5th wheel, my Voltage loaded with gear was within 200lbs of my cargo cap on my 2013 Silverado 3500  with me, fiance, and our 3  dogs
Absolutely!  And I always believe in overkill.  With the bigger truck, you get bigger springs, bigger brakes and stronger powertrain.  Not only do you want the truck to pull the load, you want it to handle it and stop it.  Towing a trailer that is right at your truck's rated capacity will not handle as well as towing with a truck that has capacity to spare, especially in emergency situations/maneuvers.
2016 KZ Spree 262 RKS

Hanr3

• ---
« Reply #47 on: April 23, 2018, 09:13:32 PM »
Thanks for your service and blessing to a speedy recovery.

There are  1/2 ton towable 5th wheels available, especially older units. Wasn't that long ago most 5th wheels were much smaller than they are today. The current craze is ungodly long 5ers that push the limits of even 1 tons. Then you have the MUST HAVE 1 TON to tow anything crowd. Bigger isn't always needed or better. There are serious financial cost associated with bigger rigs. Let alone, you haven't made them any safer. Stupid people can afford big trucks too. I grew up by the Eisenhower tunnel in Colorado, dad owned a wrecker. Seen everything on the hook. 

Allen Campers is one option.
KZ Sportsmen is another. Specifically there shorter models, 25'.
Also research older units, especially from the early 2000's to mid 2000's.
Also realize max load is only a number on paper. What you have in your truck is the only important number for you. What your 5er weighs loaded is the other important number. We ALL camp differently and carry different loads. Some need every kitchen gadget, others a cast iron skillet and pocket knife. What is important is what you plan to carry and how much it weighs.
https://www.kz-rv.com/products/sportsmen-travel-trailers-and-fifth-wheels/fifth-wheel-231RK.html

The key is managing your load.

By all means, don't rule out a Travel Trailer. They have a ton more offerings in under 30' than 5th wheels. With a weight ditribution hitch they are fairly stable under tow. Proper tires on both the trialer and truck will drastically reduce sway. Be mindfull of winds.

The biggest key, drive a comfortable speed and enjoy your trip...
Too many poeple get in trouble when they exceed their abilities to keep up with the flow of traffic. Traffic will either go around, or hang out behind you. They aren't going through you, so relax and enjoy the ride.

« Last Edit: April 23, 2018, 09:30:47 PM by Hanr3 »

Hosted by Over The Network