Small Grand Design 5th Wheel with Ram 1500 V8 Hemi w/air bags?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thank you for all of the responses and information on the air bags. It is always nice to verify when you think someone is blowing smoke.

There MAY BE A VERY FEW half ton towable FW, but very few and very few trucks capable of towing them.  Advertisements lie!  The actual Payload of YOUR truck - not some chart showing the payload of a naked base trim truck - must be larger than REAL pin wt AS LOADED TO CAMP, not dry pin wt., PLUS the weight of the FW hitch (200) PLUS the weight of all passengers and cargo.

A 9,000# GVWR  FW with a family of 4 -->  1800 Pin wt + 200# hitch + 500# passengers + 100# misc cargo = 2600# MINIMUM payload.  Ford's High Payload package will exceed that payload, but only in a reg cab model.  No room for the kids,

Hi Dave and welcome to The RV Forum.

Been active duty for 27 years AF and 3 to go ...

My personal thanks for your service to our country and for the protection of our citizens.

Some believe if you are over your weight, your dog will die, get HIV, oceans will evaporate and aliens will steal your camper.

I assume that was some kind of humor, although not the friendliest of first posts. I agree that some folks are over-conservative, but that's better advice than one of the alternatives. Hopefully, you'll find a way to fit in with our diverse community, even if you don't agree with everyone's comments or advice.

Bigger truck or a TT. Sorry as it is not what we want to hear.

Another reason why I seldom frequent this site.  People are pushy VERY pushy on opinions and only their opinions matter.  Oh ya, administrators changed my name from "Trump Supporter" to "Presidential Supporter".  Guess it offended someone. 

Presidential supporter.
We all have choices. If this site isn't what you are looking for, there are other options.
Best of luck whatever you decide.
Jeff

I'm wondering if "Presidential Supporter" isn't another name for a member/past member that just wants to bad mouth the site and people on the site.

PresidentialSupporter said:
....Be VERY selective of who you listen to on this site. ..
That is sage advice for life in general regardless of the information delivery method - face to face, radio, TV, Internet, Wastebook, etc.  There are some super-sharp folks on the forum and some less 'experienced'. After hanging around for a couple of months you will easily be able to distinguish the wheat from the chaff.

Thanks for your career service! I was USAF 1968-72: Lackland AFB, Shepard AFB, Kindly AB (Bermuda), Bergstrom AFB (Austin), Tan Son Nhut AB, Vietnam. AFSC 362x4. Sewed on my 4th stripe at 36 months. That seems like a million years ago. Member of VFW Post 7105.

Another reason why I seldom frequent this site.  People are pushy VERY pushy on opinions and only their opinions matter.  Oh ya, administrators changed my name from "Trump Supporter" to "Presidential Supporter".  Guess it offended someone.

How's that popcorn coming along? 

John Canfield said:
That is sage advice for life in general regardless of the information delivery method - face to face, radio, TV, Internet, Wastebook, etc.  There are some super-sharp folks on the forum and some less 'experienced'. After hanging around for a couple of months you will easily be able to distinguish the wheat from the chaff.

Thanks for your career service! I was USAF 1968-72: Lackland AFB, Shepard AFB, Kindly AB (Bermuda), Bergstrom AFB (Austin), Tan Son Nhut AB, Vietnam. AFSC 362x4. Sewed on my 4th stripe at 36 months. That seems like a million years ago. Member of VFW Post 7105.

Lucky you being stationed in Bermuda. I retired out of Lackland, was there 6 years. Went to school several times at Shepard.

The cool thing about a forum is you never know who has some life experience that can help you out. A new user with one post and happens to be a licensed electrician could easily answer questions about certain topics and give great advice. ?Inexperience? at RV?ing doesn?t mean you can?t be a contributor to these forums at all. Most of us can occasional give solid advice depending on our personal experiences  to someone in certain areas regardless if we have a bazillion posts on an RV forum. Personally, I never discount anyone?s opinions or advice. I might not use it, but I listen to it.

My other half watches 'every' RV-related show on TV (she has entire series recorded), and I sometimes (often) shake my head when I hear comments and advice given by numerous salespeople.

We have a Dodge 1500 along with a Keystone Xougar Xlite 5th wheel. We purchased the truck before the camper and, after we did, decided to upgrade to the 5th wheel. Our Cougar, loaded to camping ready, along with my wife and I along with two dogs is right at the rear axle max. I mean right smack in the dot. The dogs have to poop before they get in right on the dot. We have pulled that rig all over the Midwest and I have never once felt out of control or in trouble. That?s in the Midwest and not the Rockies.

It can be done.

Thank you grashley and Tom for your responses. We are now looking into the GD Imagine TT 2800BH as the Reflection TTs are all too heavy for us.

John Canfield,  I was also active duty for 4 years and have been out since 2001. That already feels like ages ago.  I was stationed in NC and MT and deployed to Saudi, UAE, and Kosovo. With my husband we have also been stationed in MO, Guam, NV, TN, and now back in TX at Randolph. Seems like the perfect place to come full circle and retire. We actually met while both deployment to the UAE. With all our moving, we cannot think of any one place we would want to ?settle? hence the name JustKeepMoving and the plan to full time travel.

At least they didn't change you handle to "Athletic Supporter". You know, like my friend Jock, who is a Strapping good fellow.

Thank you grashley and Tom for your responses. We are now looking into the GD Imagine TT 2800BH as the Reflection TTs are all too heavy for us.
Good idea as the 1500 Ram with that small 3900 lb RAWR is maxed out with 1400-1600 lb load in the bed.
Your 1500 Ram as any 1/2 ton truck is perfectly able to safely  tow a 5th wheel trailer as long as it meets the trucks tow rating and load carrying ability .Those 1/2 ton towable  5th wheel trailers are out here. ..example....... http://www.allencampermfg.com/Up-to-27--5th-Wheel.html.
Their small.
Thats why most 1/2 ton truck owners with the small 3800-3900 RAWR opt for a bigger TT.

Air bags....great choice for helping the rear suspension carry more weight in a level position. A LT C or D  tire on the truck is another upgrade over the softer OEM P tire..IF you feel their needed. Don't buy anything till you load the combo up and make a short trip down the road. Then is the time to decide if the truck needs help

This site is typical RV website as members have differing experience using a truck to pull/carry a truck camper....a travel trailer....a GN or 5th wheel trailer or any type of trailer. Some have done it for years....some have done it for a living....some with a couple of rv trailers for 6-8 years making a few short trips a year/etc so we get a varied opinion on will a half ton do it.....or a 3/4 ton.....or a one ton.
Some members can differ with others in a nice way and a few  others.....??.  After a while you learn who fits where so overall read between the lines for good sound advice. 

" This site is typical RV website as members have differing experience using a truck to pull/carry a truck camper....a travel trailer....a GN or 5th wheel trailer or any type of trailer. Some have done it for years....some have done it for a living....some with a couple of rv trailers for 6-8 years making a few short trips a year/etc so we get a varied opinion on will a half ton do it.....or a 3/4 ton.....or a one ton.
Some members can differ with others in a nice way and a few  others.....??.  After a while you learn who fits where so overall read between the lines for good sound advice."

So very true. What works for you, what I am comfortable with, what you like, what I like are all subjective. Sure, some situations presented are grossly dangerous and/or unworkable and if any of those situations are presented they are fair game for criticism.  But if I have or want a 1/2 ton tow vehicle that is clearly capable of handling my TT or 5th wheel or whatever I am towing and I am comfortable with the pairing, then all other opinions are moot.

There is nothing mystical here. Car companies consider vehicle weight, transmission load, frame strength, brake capabilities, accessories etc. and determine max cargo for each vehicle.

You can, add springs, tough tires, air bags, and other accessories to improve the ride and handling but you have not changed the frame strength, axle ratings and several other factors.

There are those who can build a Baja runner or monster truck but most of the changes folks make, improve handling but not capabilities.

It is true you can run a bit over the design limit and many people are blissfully unaware they are doing it and never tow enough mile to notice. But you cannot negate the increased wear and tear.

If you need a bigger truck, you need a bigger truck.

Back
Top Bottom