rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Fridge Defend
RV Life Magazine RV Park Reviews RV Trip Wizard

Author Topic: Small Grand Design 5th Wheel with Ram 1500 V8 Hemi w/air bags?  (Read 2647 times)

Oldgator73

• ---
Re: Small Grand Design 5th Wheel with Ram 1500 V8 Hemi w/air bags?
« Reply #30 on: March 18, 2018, 11:56:35 AM »
That is sage advice for life in general regardless of the information delivery method - face to face, radio, TV, Internet, Wastebook, etc.  There are some super-sharp folks on the forum and some less 'experienced'. After hanging around for a couple of months you will easily be able to distinguish the wheat from the chaff.

Thanks for your career service! I was USAF 1968-72: Lackland AFB, Shepard AFB, Kindly AB (Bermuda), Bergstrom AFB (Austin), Tan Son Nhut AB, Vietnam. AFSC 362x4. Sewed on my 4th stripe at 36 months. That seems like a million years ago. Member of VFW Post 7105.

Lucky you being stationed in Bermuda. I retired out of Lackland, was there 6 years. Went to school several times at Shepard.
Retired Air Force
2016 Winnie Drop
2016 Nissan Frontier

Boonieman

• ---
« Reply #31 on: March 18, 2018, 04:12:35 PM »
  The cool thing about a forum is you never know who has some life experience that can help you out. A new user with one post and happens to be a licensed electrician could easily answer questions about certain topics and give great advice. ďInexperienceĒ at RVíing doesnít mean you canít be a contributor to these forums at all. Most of us can occasional give solid advice depending on our personal experiences  to someone in certain areas regardless if we have a bazillion posts on an RV forum. Personally, I never discount anyoneís opinions or advice. I might not use it, but I listen to it.
2016 Chevrolet Dually/Duramax
2011 Fuzion 322
2016 Harley Trike
3 cherished dogs, Moo, Molly, Mia the one eyed pup 😊
Originally from South Dakota, currently reside in Kentucky

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
  • Celebrating 25 years of The RV Forum online.
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #32 on: March 18, 2018, 04:22:39 PM »
My other half watches 'every' RV-related show on TV (she has entire series recorded), and I sometimes (often) shake my head when I hear comments and advice given by numerous salespeople.
Tom.  Need help? Click the Help button in the toolbar above.

Jimdamedic

• ---
« Reply #33 on: March 18, 2018, 04:32:17 PM »
We have a Dodge 1500 along with a Keystone Xougar Xlite 5th wheel. We purchased the truck before the camper and, after we did, decided to upgrade to the 5th wheel. Our Cougar, loaded to camping ready, along with my wife and I along with two dogs is right at the rear axle max. I mean right smack in the dot. The dogs have to poop before they get in right on the dot. We have pulled that rig all over the Midwest and I have never once felt out of control or in trouble. Thatís in the Midwest and not the Rockies.

It can be done.

JustKeepMoving

• ---
« Reply #34 on: March 18, 2018, 06:26:11 PM »
Thank you grashley and Tom for your responses. We are now looking into the GD Imagine TT 2800BH as the Reflection TTs are all too heavy for us.

John Canfield,  I was also active duty for 4 years and have been out since 2001. That already feels like ages ago.  I was stationed in NC and MT and deployed to Saudi, UAE, and Kosovo. With my husband we have also been stationed in MO, Guam, NV, TN, and now back in TX at Randolph. Seems like the perfect place to come full circle and retire. We actually met while both deployment to the UAE. With all our moving, we cannot think of any one place we would want to ďsettleĒ hence the name JustKeepMoving and the plan to full time travel.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2018, 07:00:41 PM by JustKeepMoving »

Oldgator73

• ---
« Reply #35 on: March 18, 2018, 06:40:42 PM »
Another reason why I seldom frequent this site.  People are pushy VERY pushy on opinions and only their opinions matter.  Oh ya, administrators changed my name from "Trump Supporter" to "Presidential Supporter".  Guess it offended someone.

At least they didn't change you handle to "Athletic Supporter". You know, like my friend Jock, who is a Strapping good fellow.
Retired Air Force
2016 Winnie Drop
2016 Nissan Frontier

steveblonde

• ---
« Reply #36 on: March 18, 2018, 07:38:32 PM »
At least they didn't change you handle to "Athletic Supporter". You know, like my friend Jock, who is a Strapping good fellow.

Lmao :)
2015 Voltage 3305 Toy Hauler - loaded
2014 F150 Ecoboost Reg cab (company truck) daily driver
2017 Black on Black F350 Diesel Dually loaded  5167lbs cargo/weight capacity
Selling truck parts for 15 yrs plus
" If you're not living on the edge you're taking up too much space"
From Canada Eh

longhaul

• ---
« Reply #37 on: March 18, 2018, 10:23:01 PM »
Thank you grashley and Tom for your responses. We are now looking into the GD Imagine TT 2800BH as the Reflection TTs are all too heavy for us.
Good idea as the 1500 Ram with that small 3900 lb RAWR is maxed out with 1400-1600 lb load in the bed.
 Your 1500 Ram as any 1/2 ton truck is perfectly able to safely   tow a 5th wheel trailer as long as it meets the trucks tow rating and load carrying ability .Those 1/2 ton towable  5th wheel trailers are out here. ..example....... http://www.allencampermfg.com/Up-to-27--5th-Wheel.html.
 Their small.
 Thats why most 1/2 ton truck owners with the small 3800-3900 RAWR opt for a bigger TT.

Air bags....great choice for helping the rear suspension carry more weight in a level position. A LT C or D  tire on the truck is another upgrade over the softer OEM P tire..IF you feel their needed. Don't buy anything till you load the combo up and make a short trip down the road. Then is the time to decide if the truck needs help

This site is typical RV website as members have differing experience using a truck to pull/carry a truck camper....a travel trailer....a GN or 5th wheel trailer or any type of trailer. Some have done it for years....some have done it for a living....some with a couple of rv trailers for 6-8 years making a few short trips a year/etc so we get a varied opinion on will a half ton do it.....or a 3/4 ton.....or a one ton.
 Some members can differ with others in a nice way and a few  others.....??.  After a while you learn who fits where so overall read between the lines for good sound advice. 

Oldgator73

• ---
« Reply #38 on: March 19, 2018, 06:42:21 AM »
" This site is typical RV website as members have differing experience using a truck to pull/carry a truck camper....a travel trailer....a GN or 5th wheel trailer or any type of trailer. Some have done it for years....some have done it for a living....some with a couple of rv trailers for 6-8 years making a few short trips a year/etc so we get a varied opinion on will a half ton do it.....or a 3/4 ton.....or a one ton.
 Some members can differ with others in a nice way and a few  others.....??.  After a while you learn who fits where so overall read between the lines for good sound advice."

So very true. What works for you, what I am comfortable with, what you like, what I like are all subjective. Sure, some situations presented are grossly dangerous and/or unworkable and if any of those situations are presented they are fair game for criticism.  But if I have or want a 1/2 ton tow vehicle that is clearly capable of handling my TT or 5th wheel or whatever I am towing and I am comfortable with the pairing, then all other opinions are moot.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2018, 06:45:03 AM by Oldgator73 »
Retired Air Force
2016 Winnie Drop
2016 Nissan Frontier

RGP

• ---
« Reply #39 on: March 21, 2018, 10:54:17 PM »
There is nothing mystical here. Car companies consider vehicle weight, transmission load, frame strength, brake capabilities, accessories etc. and determine max cargo for each vehicle.

You can, add springs, tough tires, air bags, and other accessories to improve the ride and handling but you have not changed the frame strength, axle ratings and several other factors.

There are those who can build a Baja runner or monster truck but most of the changes folks make, improve handling but not capabilities.

It is true you can run a bit over the design limit and many people are blissfully unaware they are doing it and never tow enough mile to notice. But you cannot negate the increased wear and tear.

If you need a bigger truck, you need a bigger truck.

tyefighter

• ---
« Reply #40 on: April 15, 2018, 09:51:55 PM »
I worked driving tow trucks in the 90's and still talk to the drivers that I worked with.  I have towed many RV's, pickups, vans and what ever that thought just because they have a big motor that it will pull anything.  In some areas that is very correct a big V8 or diesel will pull anything but safely is another issue.  When the rig you are towing or something else happens, (get hit by another vehicle) and you wind up in the ditch or upside down and the police show up, you might be in trouble.  If you are overloaded and the cops will check the tag on the tow rig and what ever you have been towing, you will get a citation.  The cops now have the choice to also charge you for all kinds of other things, the worst is felony reckless driving.  Now the really bad news, your insurance company can and probably will say that you were at fault for being over loaded and will not pay a dime in the damages.  And you still have to pay the tow bill and I loved to add all the numbers up for the total bill.
Never caught a fish I didn't like
Bend, OR the dry side of the state

gravesdiesel

• ---
« Reply #41 on: April 16, 2018, 10:46:28 AM »
  I might also suggest if you stick with the idea of a fifth wheel to check out the floor plans of some toy haulers. Ours, and many others, have bunks in the back that raise up to ceiling level when not being used, giving you a lot of nice space back there when you are grilling out, or just sit inside with the back ramp down enjoying the view. Many newer ones have an option that uses the ramp as a deck. Pretty sweet setup.
I second that!  I am looking at the Grand Design 350M and 351M.  Both are beautifully equipped fifth wheel toy haulers.  The garage area would be perfect for your children because it also includes a half bath, television, its own entry door and is available with its own AC unit too.  I want this unit for the garage, but the ability for me to sleep another couple with us is nice too. 
2016 KZ Spree 262 RKS
2003 Dodge 3500 4 door flatbed 4x4 diesel, 6 speed
1996 Dodge 3500 extra cab flatbed 4x4 diesel 5 speed
2006 Arctic Cat TRV diesel 4x4 ATV
(2) 1981 Yamaha G1 2 cycle golf carts
Many other diesels on the farm!

steveblonde

• ---
« Reply #42 on: April 16, 2018, 07:32:35 PM »
I second that!  I am looking at the Grand Design 350M and 351M.  Both are beautifully equipped fifth wheel toy haulers.  The garage area would be perfect for your children because it also includes a half bath, television, its own entry door and is available with its own AC unit too.  I want this unit for the garage, but the ability for me to sleep another couple with us is nice too.

Toy Haulers are great but your looking at a 1ton 3500 srw minimum for almost any toyhauler 5th wheel, my Voltage loaded with gear was within 200lbs of my cargo cap on my 2013 Silverado 3500  with me, fiance, and our 3  dogs
2015 Voltage 3305 Toy Hauler - loaded
2014 F150 Ecoboost Reg cab (company truck) daily driver
2017 Black on Black F350 Diesel Dually loaded  5167lbs cargo/weight capacity
Selling truck parts for 15 yrs plus
" If you're not living on the edge you're taking up too much space"
From Canada Eh

irishtom29

• ---
« Reply #43 on: April 16, 2018, 10:04:25 PM »
If you are overloaded and the cops will check the tag on the tow rig and what ever you have been towing, you will get a citation.  The cops now have the choice to also charge you for all kinds of other things, the worst is felony reckless driving.  Now the really bad news, your insurance company can and probably will say that you were at fault for being over loaded and will not pay a dime in the damages.  And you still have to pay the tow bill and I loved to add all the numbers up for the total bill.

My understanding is that weight laws that pertain to commercial vehicles and towing donít apply to non commercial use. Itís also my understanding that insurance companies donít (maybe canít) refuse to pay a claim simply because a driver is at fault, indeed, I had coverage for accidents in which I was at fault. I also wonder if coppers check weights, GVWRs, GCWRs etc. after a wreck. And how they would arrive at the weight of a trailer after a wreck. And if they even care.

In any event Iím not a lawyer and so I donít give legal opinions, especially given that all 50 states have various laws. So take this accordingly.

kdbgoat

• ---
« Reply #44 on: April 17, 2018, 05:46:58 AM »
In Delaware, a person's vehicle is registered for a certain GVW. If one is over that GVW, they can, and sometimes do, receive a ticket for being overweight. That's commercial and non-commercial. My F-250 was registered at something like 8500#. I changed it to 10,000# to match the factory rating, and of course paid the extra money for the higher weight rating.
I know you believe you understand what you think I said,
But I am not sure you realize what you heard is not what I meant

2012 Redwood 36RL
2016 Leprechaun 319DS

gravesdiesel

• ---
« Reply #45 on: April 17, 2018, 09:20:00 AM »
I'm wondering if "Presidential Supporter" isn't another name for a member/past member that just wants to bad mouth the site and people on the site.
Since he has no signature, I believe you are correct.
2016 KZ Spree 262 RKS

gravesdiesel

• ---
« Reply #46 on: April 17, 2018, 09:27:00 AM »

Toy Haulers are great but your looking at a 1ton 3500 srw minimum for almost any toyhauler 5th wheel, my Voltage loaded with gear was within 200lbs of my cargo cap on my 2013 Silverado 3500  with me, fiance, and our 3  dogs
Absolutely!  And I always believe in overkill.  With the bigger truck, you get bigger springs, bigger brakes and stronger powertrain.  Not only do you want the truck to pull the load, you want it to handle it and stop it.  Towing a trailer that is right at your truck's rated capacity will not handle as well as towing with a truck that has capacity to spare, especially in emergency situations/maneuvers.
2016 KZ Spree 262 RKS

Hanr3

• ---
« Reply #47 on: April 23, 2018, 09:13:32 PM »
Thanks for your service and blessing to a speedy recovery.

There are  1/2 ton towable 5th wheels available, especially older units. Wasn't that long ago most 5th wheels were much smaller than they are today. The current craze is ungodly long 5ers that push the limits of even 1 tons. Then you have the MUST HAVE 1 TON to tow anything crowd. Bigger isn't always needed or better. There are serious financial cost associated with bigger rigs. Let alone, you haven't made them any safer. Stupid people can afford big trucks too. I grew up by the Eisenhower tunnel in Colorado, dad owned a wrecker. Seen everything on the hook. 

Allen Campers is one option.
KZ Sportsmen is another. Specifically there shorter models, 25'.
Also research older units, especially from the early 2000's to mid 2000's.
Also realize max load is only a number on paper. What you have in your truck is the only important number for you. What your 5er weighs loaded is the other important number. We ALL camp differently and carry different loads. Some need every kitchen gadget, others a cast iron skillet and pocket knife. What is important is what you plan to carry and how much it weighs.
https://www.kz-rv.com/products/sportsmen-travel-trailers-and-fifth-wheels/fifth-wheel-231RK.html

The key is managing your load.

By all means, don't rule out a Travel Trailer. They have a ton more offerings in under 30' than 5th wheels. With a weight ditribution hitch they are fairly stable under tow. Proper tires on both the trialer and truck will drastically reduce sway. Be mindfull of winds.

The biggest key, drive a comfortable speed and enjoy your trip...
Too many poeple get in trouble when they exceed their abilities to keep up with the flow of traffic. Traffic will either go around, or hang out behind you. They aren't going through you, so relax and enjoy the ride.

« Last Edit: April 23, 2018, 09:30:47 PM by Hanr3 »
2016 F150 3.5L Ecoboost XLT
2019 K-Z 231RK Sportsmen
1997 16' Sylvan Back Troller Select