Small Grand Design 5th Wheel with Ram 1500 V8 Hemi w/air bags?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I worked driving tow trucks in the 90's and still talk to the drivers that I worked with.  I have towed many RV's, pickups, vans and what ever that thought just because they have a big motor that it will pull anything.  In some areas that is very correct a big V8 or diesel will pull anything but safely is another issue.  When the rig you are towing or something else happens, (get hit by another vehicle) and you wind up in the ditch or upside down and the police show up, you might be in trouble.  If you are overloaded and the cops will check the tag on the tow rig and what ever you have been towing, you will get a citation.  The cops now have the choice to also charge you for all kinds of other things, the worst is felony reckless driving.  Now the really bad news, your insurance company can and probably will say that you were at fault for being over loaded and will not pay a dime in the damages.  And you still have to pay the tow bill and I loved to add all the numbers up for the total bill.

Boonieman said:
  I might also suggest if you stick with the idea of a fifth wheel to check out the floor plans of some toy haulers. Ours, and many others, have bunks in the back that raise up to ceiling level when not being used, giving you a lot of nice space back there when you are grilling out, or just sit inside with the back ramp down enjoying the view. Many newer ones have an option that uses the ramp as a deck. Pretty sweet setup.
I second that!  I am looking at the Grand Design 350M and 351M.  Both are beautifully equipped fifth wheel toy haulers.  The garage area would be perfect for your children because it also includes a half bath, television, its own entry door and is available with its own AC unit too.  I want this unit for the garage, but the ability for me to sleep another couple with us is nice too. 

gravesdiesel said:
I second that!  I am looking at the Grand Design 350M and 351M.  Both are beautifully equipped fifth wheel toy haulers.  The garage area would be perfect for your children because it also includes a half bath, television, its own entry door and is available with its own AC unit too.  I want this unit for the garage, but the ability for me to sleep another couple with us is nice too.

Toy Haulers are great but your looking at a 1ton 3500 srw minimum for almost any toyhauler 5th wheel, my Voltage loaded with gear was within 200lbs of my cargo cap on my 2013 Silverado 3500  with me, fiance, and our 3  dogs

tyefighter said:
If you are overloaded and the cops will check the tag on the tow rig and what ever you have been towing, you will get a citation.  The cops now have the choice to also charge you for all kinds of other things, the worst is felony reckless driving.  Now the really bad news, your insurance company can and probably will say that you were at fault for being over loaded and will not pay a dime in the damages.  And you still have to pay the tow bill and I loved to add all the numbers up for the total bill.

My understanding is that weight laws that pertain to commercial vehicles and towing don?t apply to non commercial use. It?s also my understanding that insurance companies don?t (maybe can?t) refuse to pay a claim simply because a driver is at fault, indeed, I had coverage for accidents in which I was at fault. I also wonder if coppers check weights, GVWRs, GCWRs etc. after a wreck. And how they would arrive at the weight of a trailer after a wreck. And if they even care.

In any event I?m not a lawyer and so I don?t give legal opinions, especially given that all 50 states have various laws. So take this accordingly.

In Delaware, a person's vehicle is registered for a certain GVW. If one is over that GVW, they can, and sometimes do, receive a ticket for being overweight. That's commercial and non-commercial. My F-250 was registered at something like 8500#. I changed it to 10,000# to match the factory rating, and of course paid the extra money for the higher weight rating.

steveblonde said:
Toy Haulers are great but your looking at a 1ton 3500 srw minimum for almost any toyhauler 5th wheel, my Voltage loaded with gear was within 200lbs of my cargo cap on my 2013 Silverado 3500  with me, fiance, and our 3  dogs
Absolutely!  And I always believe in overkill.  With the bigger truck, you get bigger springs, bigger brakes and stronger powertrain.  Not only do you want the truck to pull the load, you want it to handle it and stop it.  Towing a trailer that is right at your truck's rated capacity will not handle as well as towing with a truck that has capacity to spare, especially in emergency situations/maneuvers.

Thanks for your service and blessing to a speedy recovery.

There are  1/2 ton towable 5th wheels available, especially older units. Wasn't that long ago most 5th wheels were much smaller than they are today. The current craze is ungodly long 5ers that push the limits of even 1 tons. Then you have the MUST HAVE 1 TON to tow anything crowd. Bigger isn't always needed or better. There are serious financial cost associated with bigger rigs. Let alone, you haven't made them any safer. Stupid people can afford big trucks too. I grew up by the Eisenhower tunnel in Colorado, dad owned a wrecker. Seen everything on the hook. 

Allen Campers is one option.
KZ Sportsmen is another. Specifically there shorter models, 25'.
Also research older units, especially from the early 2000's to mid 2000's.
Also realize max load is only a number on paper. What you have in your truck is the only important number for you. What your 5er weighs loaded is the other important number. We ALL camp differently and carry different loads. Some need every kitchen gadget, others a cast iron skillet and pocket knife. What is important is what you plan to carry and how much it weighs.
https://www.kz-rv.com/products/sportsmen-travel-trailers-and-fifth-wheels/fifth-wheel-231RK.html

The key is managing your load.

By all means, don't rule out a Travel Trailer. They have a ton more offerings in under 30' than 5th wheels. With a weight ditribution hitch they are fairly stable under tow. Proper tires on both the trialer and truck will drastically reduce sway. Be mindfull of winds.

The biggest key, drive a comfortable speed and enjoy your trip...
Too many poeple get in trouble when they exceed their abilities to keep up with the flow of traffic. Traffic will either go around, or hang out behind you. They aren't going through you, so relax and enjoy the ride.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
David W.
Back
Top Bottom