What size 5th wheel?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Benne77

A while ago I posted about finding a truck to tow a 5th wheel. I am happy to report we bought a Silverado 3500 Diesel SRW. We now need to find a 5th wheel. We will be traveling the whole U.S. and I need to know what is the biggest I can go and still be able to fit into most camp sites/RV parks, or RV resorts if no other option. I am thinking 36 feet max? What are your thoughts/experiences on this? We will be full timing it and many times in rural areas.

We looked at a lot of FWs and like a lot of others will tell you flooplan for full timing is important.  We went with a Montana 3720RL which is more of a two to four person rig.  Open floor plan.  It comes in at about 39 feet and change.  Don't just look at websites, get out and in rigs you might feel you like.  This is coming from a newbie too.  Good luck.

Ernie n Tara said:
Be sure to check payload. Even a 3500 SRW has its limits; probably in the range of 12-14, 000 lb.

Ernie

Its not the payload its the hitch weight - my 40 ft Voltage Toy Hauler is very nose heavy at 2700 lbs with 2 adults 3 boxers and all our gear (crap) in the truck we scaled at 3600lbs on the rear wheels - my cargo cap was 3800lb

You need to look at both the hitch and total weight but that Silverado will tow 17,000 lbs bdepending on the coach around 40 is going to be about the max to get in most places ie state grounds etc but private sites and places like KOA often have 75ft plus sites - we just booked one in SD so we can go to Sturgis this summer

You need to look at trailer weight, not trailer length. The key values are the trailer GVWR and the pin (hitch) weight. Pin weight varies with the loading and style of trailer, but use 20% of the trailer GVWR as the estimated loaded hitch weight and you will be in the right arena.

So, get the Payload (Cargo Carrying Capacity) and max tow rating of your new Silverado and that becomes your trailer shopping weight budget.  I suspect there will be quite a few 36 foot trailer models that exceed it.

One caveat: any passengers and gear (including the trailer hitch) carried in the truck will decrease the tow rating and Payload/cargo-capacity, so be sure to subtract those first.

Even though I would love to sell you my 36 foot fiver, I would caution you against it.  Pin weight is around 3600 pounds, and that is simply pushing the envelop a bit much for my tastes.  But if you want a nice used fiver in the 36 foot range send me a PM.

It says the payload on the truck inside my drivers door is 3940 pounds. (2011 silverado 3500 crew cab SRW diesel) Then subtracting me at 165# and hitch of ~150? I think. + odds and ends would likely bring us to 3500 pounds. (we will also have a small sedan following the 5th wheel and truck so we can stuff that full if need be). So then that brings us to 3500 x4 to 3500 x5 so ( 14000 to 17500 absolute maximum) and to be safe probably 16,000# fully loaded correct?

And then as far as length. My biggest concern is making sure we are able to always find a camp site in each place we go to. We will know 1 month in advance where we will be staying for 3 months at a time (it is only my wife and I). What have you found to be a safe length 5th wheel to get into most places.

Better check the legality of that "small sedan." Not all states allow the double tow, and some that do may not allow that car to be towed that way.

Correct. The sedan will be driving. Not being towed. Sorry if that was worded poorly.

Why?  Why do you feel it necessary to spend money driving a small car?  Parking it in most places is going to mean overflow parking, often costing you extra $$ each day.

We need 2 cars. We will be traveling for work every 3 months to new city and need to commute to and from work. We will both need a car for this. The 2nd car is for my wife to get to and from her site and the truck is for me as we will almost always be at different hospitals/clinics.

Makes sense now.
What, or how much space do you need?  Go check out floor plans.  Get rid of the salesman and play house in each.  Pretend your making a meal, eating, watching*l TV. Paying bills, taking a shower.  Where or how many clothes can you easily pack.  How about laundry fatilites?  You get the picture I hope.  You can almost always find room to park a 40 foot fiver.  But you could just as easily absolute hate the wrong floor plan if your not comfortable living in it. 
You might also consider buying used for a first ever RV.  Used will allow you to get used to the RV life without the huge depreciation that you could wind up with if you bought a new RV first time.  Also be aware, RVs are not insulated like a house, so in really hot or cold climates heeting and cooling bills can be pretty high.

We have been to 2 RV shows and I think we have zeroed in on what we are looking for in a 5th wheel. We like ones that have a king bed in front ideally with washer/dryer capability. Full size shower. Then we like the ones with middle area kitchen with center island and then the back living room. So we know the floor plan we want. We will be buying used, ideally private seller. We now are trying to figure out what length to decide on. So up to 40 ft (if we are within weight requirements) would be okay?

Ideally what fits your lifestyle, tow vehicle, and towing comfort level are whats important.  Size is kind of immaterial in the grand scheme of things.  If you were planning to camp in state and NF camp grounds especialpy in the west small is better.  If your going to be moving place to place, IE traveling nurse, then more than likely your going to be looking for private camp grounds with full hookups.  Those will generally have larger sites so size becomes a moot point.

Back
Top Bottom