Best setup for Ocotillow wells, glamis ect..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ScottMA64

Hi everyone.  I'm going to be buying a Can Am side X side so i'm going to be making trips to the desert.  My trips will be over multiple days typically.  What would be the best way to go, Super C towing a trailer or 5th wheel toy hauler setup?  I have an open budget on this, I just want to go with the best solution. 

Thanks!

Scott

Once you arrive, do you want/need to leave the area for other sightseeing, groceries, restaurants, etc?  If so, the Super C with a trailer would restrict you from doing that unless you are using the Super C for your other running around or you are getting one of those massive trailers that have a lift inside so you can also tow a street legal vehicle with your ATV.

5W Toy hauler would allow you to take the pickup for other excursions.

Some other thoughts:

Stops during travel will allow you to stay "inside" the Super C and you'll have to go "outside" for the 5W.  Important if there is inclement weather.  Not sure how far your trips will be...may not be a factor.  The best solution for one person may not be the best for another.

My perception is there would be more room in the Super C -Trailer combo for working on your ATV.

Many, many other things to consider that I think would be personal preference.  Surely some folks who actually have one of these setups can offer better insight.

Do you currently or have you in the past had an RV of any kind?

Open budget.

Does that translate to whatever you want?

If it does and you plan to stay several days wheeling at the site then I would recommend a DP with a Stacker trailer.

You can carry all the toys, an extra vehicle or two, have an on site workshop, carry lots of fuel, parts, tools, and be prepared for most anything that might happen.

You can also support other friends that might need help.

If you go with this kind of combination I would also recommend that you use a trailer toad if your Stacker is heavy.

In my opinion there is no such thing as too much room or too many toys.

Attachments

• r007.jpg
    r007.jpg
    297.9 KB · Views: 28
We can not say what is right for YOU.  We can give pros and cons of each.

Class C and trailer :  May run into trailer weight limits if not careful.
  RV becomes your drive around town vehicle.
  Easy access to "facilities" when traveling.

FW  TH :  Need 1  ton dually minimum for tow vehicle.
  Use truck for local transportation
  TH garage can double as indoor space or patio once toys are out.

Ask lots of questions  We all have opinions that are worth what you pay for them!

If you're going the trailer route, I recommend a 4WD truck.  It's too easy for a 2WD truck pulling a 5th wheel to get bogged down even on firm sand.

Motorhomes can also get bogged but not as easily, you have more of the total weight on the drive axle compared to a pickup truck carrying only 20-25% of the trailer's weight.  And you have the option of dropping the towed vehicle to lessen the load if needed.

Seems like the 5w would probably make more sense.  Just to be able to unhitch and go get fuel, groceries or whatever. 

The 1st reply asked if I have rv experience.  I do have a little.  Small 27ft travel trailer setup.  So i've never drove a 5w trailer setup but I have driven large vehicles in my lifetime, mostly fire trucks. 
I'm also going to have to learn about boondocking in the desert.

Thanks for the responses everyone!

Scott

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chewys79
Back
Top Bottom