First Trip - 4,740 Miles ! ! !

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dreamsend

Well only 3,220 of those miles will be towing my new trailer.  Talk about a "break-in, get familiar with stuff" trip.

So my new 2018 Outdoors RV Timberidge 27BHS is at the dealers in Salt Lake City with my name on it.  The plan to get it and bring it back to Indy is described below.

Where I'm asking for any specific recommendations for overnight campgrounds - hook-ups or not, is the 3rd and 4th and 5th Segments.  BTW, I've already studied Campendium, Trip Advisor, RVParky, Free Campgrounds USA, USCampgrounds.info, and forestcamping.com -- so what I'm looking for is advice from experienced people who might be familiar with these locations and could make recommendations.

1st Segment - Indianapolis, IN to Salt Lake City.  Will take I70 west and cut up to I80 at some point prior to Denver.  I'll be leaving Indy on May 2 with plans to arrive in SLC on Sunday May 6.  The plan is to tent camp 3 nights and do the motel thing 2 nights.  I haven't slept on the ground for 15 years, so it will be interesting to see how my ole body does.  I did buy a new Thermarest pad, and it's really nice.  Total miles is 1,520.

2nd Segment  Salt Lake City at the dealers May 7, 8, and 9.  Will stay at dealers on at least the 7 and 8 of May.  Lots of things to do in those two days - the PDI and paperwork, taking out the bunk beds, removing carpet, learning all the water, wastewater, electric, propane, etc. systems.  AND - begin learning how to tow, turn, back-up and get in and out of gas stations!  Also, install the TPMS, the hitch, program the truck's back-up camera for hitching just to name a few things.  As of now, I plan to tow to a nearby campground on May 9 and stay there for the night getting more familiar with stuff.

3rd Segment  May 10 through Sunday May 13.  Will drive I15 north to I84 through Idaho then east through Oregon to Portland and drop down on I5 to Eugene-Springfield where AM Solar will do the panel and battery installation beginning Monday May 14.  Total miles is 720.  I have tentatively broken up this trip as follows:
May 10 - Salt Lake City to Twin Falls, ID - ~220 miles
May 11- Twin Falls to Baker City, OR - ~253 miles
May 12 - Baker City to Hood, OR - ~248 miles
May 13 - Hood to Springfield, OR (drop off trailer, and find motel)

Any suggestions for "can't miss places" near the above?

There are Walmarts in a couple of these locations, but with 2 12V batteries for this portion of the trip (I don't know the capacity yet), I'm thinking I'll need to plug in somewhere.  I won't be using the refrigerator on this segment - just the bed, maybe the furnace (I'll have a portable propane heater along), and the sink, shower, toilet, some lights, and maybe TV with the OTA antennae.  I'll be driving right through the Eagle Creek fire of last September that took out the wilderness area of the Columbia River Gorge National Scenic Area.  So sad, I hate to think about experiencing that.  There is no camping or hiking etc. in the burned portion.

4th Segment  It will take AM Solar in Eugene-Springfield, OR an estimated 4 days to do the installation-- meaning May 14 through 17 at a minimum.  I can't use the trailer during that time.  I'll have the truck and camping gear however.  I'll likely do motels during this time, but would not be adverse to an overnight somewhere in the area if anyone has any suggestions.  Like maybe somewhere for a nice hike, and a car-camping site?  Also, any suggestions for other sights to visit or things to do in Eugene or nearby during the day?
Good places to eat???

5th Segment  Eugene to Indianapolis, IN.  This is the biggy - 2,440 miles towing the trailer, but now with my solar panels and lithium batts.  Will leave on May 18 towards Portland, east on I84 and drop down I15 to SLC again.  I could use as an opportunity to swing back by the dealer's in case anything has come up that needs attention.  I'll likely stay on I80 east and then drop down somewhere to pick up I74 after that which takes me directly to Indy.  Haven't planned anything for this portion because I'm not really on a time table to get somewhere like I am for the first portion of this adventure.

So, any suggestions for places to stay along I80 in the Great Plans and Midwest are welcome.  The bad part about this is looks like this schedule would have me arriving in Indianapolis on May 27!!! which is the running of the Indianapolis 500.  NO WAY in --- am I gonna do that.  In fact, coming in on the Monday May 28 would still be bad.  Uhmmm, maybe I'll see if AM Solar could move things up for the install.  As busy as they are, I don't have much hope however.

25 days minimum on the road assuming no glitches for my first trip is pretty overwhelming. But, that is one reason I'm sticking to Interstates. The trailer won't be loaded with lots of stuff yet.  Just some sleeping and showering stuff. 

So, comments from the ole pros here?  And thanks.
Linda

The one thing that strikes me is that in May some mountain areas may still have snowstorms, especially as far north as Idaho, so weather watching is definitely recommended. Also, be aware how cool/cold it can get at night in some of these areas, even without storms, but especially at higher altitudes.

A bit of a detour north, but Coeur d'Alene, Idaho is a beautiful place to spend a couple of days, with a huge lake that extends many, many miles south from the city, and the Silverwood Theme Park is just a few minutes north of town.

I'll likely stay on I80 east and then drop down somewhere to pick up I74 after that which takes me directly to Indy.
That's likely to be in the quad cities area (around Moline, Ill.), since I believe that's where I-74 starts. You can watch road signs along your route for local museums or other attractions that don't gain national attention.

Lake McConaughy is a 21 mile long reservoir on the North Platte River, located 9 miles north of Ogallala, Nebraska. It's a nice recreational area, if that fits your style.

A little before you get to Omaha there is a Strategic Air Command museum, if that appeals to you. You can see their website here. There's also a railroad museum in Council Bluffs (across the river from Omaha). And you can google "Omaha attractions" to find a thousand and one things in the area. It's similar for most places.

The Amana Colonies are a little north of I-80 at exit 225, north on US 151, if that's your interest, and there's a nice RV park there, too.

Larry N. said:
A bit of a detour north, but Coeur d'Alene, Idaho is a beautiful place to spend a couple of days, with a huge lake that extends many, many miles south from the city, and the Silverwood Theme Park is just a few minutes north of town.

If you do detour through Coeur d'Alene, be sure and have lunch or dinner at Cedar's Floating Restaurant  :))

I just drove last summer from Fishers to Seattle and returned via Portland, I 84 to I-15 to SLC. I stayed in Provo KOA, overnight then travelled over Soldier Summit, US route 6, to Green River and I-70 thru Colorado. I would recommend travelling to SLC thru Colorado just to see the Eisenhower Tunnel, the highest point on the interstate system, and travelling down Glenwood Canyon, very beautiful. Travelling westbound, you won't have the trailer and should be OK thru Colorado.  I stayed in Baker City, OR, 1 night at Mt View Campground, The only problem there, was that you're very close to the RR, and have to listen to trains whistling thru town. The other campground is farther away from the tracks but right next to the interstate. I guess you pay your money and take your chances. The interstate, US route 30, and I-84 are all confined in a valley thru Baker City, so I doubt either campground would be much quieter than the other.

One further point, the best way to get to I-80 is to use I-74 from Indy, in my case, from the north side, I use Ind. 32 in Lebanon to cross to I-74, but that is dependent on where you are in Indy. Unless you have a compelling reason to travel to St Louis, or KC, and your going to use I-80 into SLC, then I would travel I-74 to I-80. Whether eastbound or westbound, always use the bypass, I-474, around Peoria. It's exactly the same distance either way, but the bypass avoids quite a bit of congestion thru downtown Peoria.

But if you're going through the Colorado Rockies, I-76 (a bit east of Sidney, NE) is an excellent way to get to I-70 westbound (or to get back to I-80 east, if you're eastbound on I-70). Still, thre are several possible sites in Cheyenne on your way home (I-80) too, including a night camping at Terry's Buffalo Ranch just south of Cheyenne, the Cheyenne Frontier Days Old West Museum, and the Cheyenne Depot Museum, pretty much downtown.

Wanted to check in and thank you all for your suggestions.  I will likely skip I70 west of Denver as I've done that drive a couple of times -- the tunnel and gorgeous mts., however are great.  Likewise, been through Coeur D' Alene, and will likely be visiting that area again once I'm fulltiming.  The reservoir at Ogallahla was already on my list of likely places to camp -- either out or back.  I've done some additional planning for the I74 and I80 routes both going out with just the truck and for traveling back with the trailer.  Looks like there are lots of nice choices in most of Wyoming and definitely in Nebraska and Iowa.  The area around Rawlins, WY is scarce for camping, but there are some nice hotels.  Unfortunately, this is not a trip for much sightseeing, as I need to get home and catch up on all the May yard work I'll miss, which goes into June as well.  That's what you get when you have lots of landscaping and flower beds! 

Surprised there were no suggestions for Eugene or Corvallis OR attractions.  I will have at least 3 days of free time there.

Hi Dreamsend,

I'm from Indiana as well and have made the trip to Oregon a couple of dozen times. Don't know how familiar you are with northwestern states. They can have snow all the way into June in the mountains. I've been to Crater Lake before and they just get it open in July with snow drifts 15 foot high!

You may be required to have chains on your vehicles. I mentioned to someone a while ago that Las Swab will let you buy chains and if you don't use them return for money back. If the signs tell you to have chains, you don't want to get caught not having them on your vechicles.

One last piece of advise, don't ever take the secondary roads through Oregon as you can be trapped for days or weeks. Stay to the main roads and you will be O.K. My nephew lived in Corvallis OR and they get a bit of snow there each year. Do check weather reports and ask locals for help if you think something might be dangerous. Good safe travels.

Hey CamperAl -- thank you for the heads-ups about the chains,  that is for sure something critical to plan for.  I know snow is a possibility but had not thought about that travel aspect.  I should have remembered!  In Feb 1972, I left Berkeley to travel back to Indy, and got caught in snow crossing Donner Summit on I80 and I had to buy chains (used from some guy on the road) before the highway patrol would let me continue.  Only needed them for 10 miles and then it was dry pavement.  I remember how painful it was for a broke grad student to have to purchase them.

And yes, I'm sticking to the interstates, no booney, back roads for this newbie just yet.  I'll start checking into having some chains on board.

41 days to take-off.  Yikes I still have a lot to get done!!!    Linda

I have to ask why you don?t intend on using the refrigerator on the first RV section of the trip and why you are using a portable propane heater? All the ORVs have propane refrigerators, and they work quite well. They also have an excellent built in propane furnace. You really should be trying them out so if there is any issue you can get the wattanty work done. Even with solar, you won?t want to run your refrigerator on electric. Propane refrigerators don?t take much fuel at all. And your two 12v batteries will be plenty for a simple overnight. They get charged while your are traveling by your truck?s electrical system.

UTTransplant said:
I have to ask why you don?t intend on using the refrigerator on the first RV section of the trip and why you are using a portable propane heater?

Well, I think you are correct - why am I not using them?  I wasn't planning to take food along so I just thought, don't need to run the fridge.  I would likely use the furnace but I was thinking if Spring comes, just space heating might be easier.  No real reason to not use the propane systems and I did plan to do so enough to check them out.  It wasn't meant as a categorical non-use however.  I could however leave the fridge run even if it is empty.  I'm hoping the batteries will get charged while driving, but being a newb, there is a plethora of things I don't know until I get out there and just do it.  Yes, I'm overwhelmed with unknowns currently and getting things together right now - including cat sitter, yard/grass cutting, POA for a friend in case my 99 year old Mom passes while im gone, the house is being appraised, RV storage for when I return, yada, yada,. . .  . So thanks, your observations are right on however.

Linda

Cold drinks, quick snack at a fuel stop.

If you drink soda or juice, you can have them available cold whenever you stop.

I keep bottles of water in the fridge, and I usually throw in a pack of baloney and some Miracle Whip, and have a loaf of bread along.

There have been a few times I've decided the traffic and weather were just a bit much, so I pull over and grab a snack, and wait for Google Maps to show less red on the route.

I stop at a Dollar General near the house and get a case of water and the sandwich stuff on my way out of town.

Notify credit card companies you are traveling.

Take sufficient cash and checks. Some campgrounds don't take credit cards.

Check tire pressures religiously.

Who is the dealer in Salt Lake?

Which camp ground in Salt Lake, KOA or Mountain Shadows?  I've stayed at both. Mountain Shadows runs their sprinkles at night, stains your RV with hard water spots. Ask me how I know.

Baker City...We've stayed at A-Frame RV park a few times. Easy access to 84.

You are going to have wind. Slow down.  I'd keep it at 60 or under in any case. Just because your rig can go 75 doesn't mean you should. Usually less wind in the early morning.

Start down mountains at 50 or less and use your lower gears. Don't ride the brakes in mountains. Going down is worse than going up.

When your fuel tank gets down under a half tank start looking for a gas station.  Few and far between out west, believe me.

What are you doing for internet along the way? RV park internet is usually bad.

In an emergency you can dial 911 whether your cellphone shows coverage or not. Every cellphone company has to answer 911 calls.

Insure your trailer with the same company your truck is insured with.

Try to get into campgrounds before dark...less scratches and dings that way. Ask me how I know.

And last but not least...think positive.

In an emergency you can dial 911 whether your cellphone shows coverage or not. Every cellphone company has to answer 911 calls.
That's generally true, but in the west there are some areas with literally no cell service in range from ANY carrier, so in that case 911 isn't available either. Generally my phone will say Emergency Calls Only or No Service Available.

Arch Hoagland said:
Notify credit card companies you are traveling.
Check   :))
Take sufficient cash and checks. Some campgrounds don't take credit cards.
Check   :))
Check tire pressures religiously.
Got an EEZ RV TPMS to install at dealers.  :))

Who is the dealer in Salt Lake?
Ray Citte RV in Roy, UT.  Working with Sales Mtg. Clint Easing.  Love the guy.

Which camp ground in Salt Lake, KOA or Mountain Shadows? 
Not sure just yet.  Dealer says there are a number of places, but not necessarily CG.  He will recommend later.

Slow down.  I'd keep it at 60 or under in any case.
Will do.  I've read this so many times on the forum it's like the 11th Commandment.  Usually less wind in the early morning. yep!

Start down mountains at 50 or less and use your lower gears. Don't ride the brakes in mountains. Yep.  Driven, not towed in mountains, so I know the "feel"  :))

When your fuel tank gets down under a half tank start looking for a gas station.
Check  - especially with MY truck.  :))

What are you doing for internet along the way?
AT&T Mobley mostly.  Also can hotspot my Verizon for 2G  :))

In an emergency you can dial 911 whether your cellphone shows coverage or not.
Good to know, but following your closing advice, I am NOT going to have any 911 emergencies   :D

Insure your trailer with the same company your truck is insured with.
After days of struggle and hours on the phone, finally figured out today my insurance company can cover liability, comp, and collision on the trailer by adding it to my truck insurance with NO problems and can do so the minute I buy the trailer.  I already have a copy of the Mtg. Cert. of Origin so new title can be generated when I register the trailer.  From dealer, I have 45 day temp tags for the trailer.   :))

Try to get into campgrounds before dark...
Most definitely my plan!  That's one reason l plan on ~250 miles per day.--
Weather and conditions permitting.
  :))

And last but not least...think positive.
You bet     :D

And as to snack recommendations, I'll have my small personal cooler in the truck cab for water, juice, fruit or ham and cheese.  I'm not a regular eater, so grabbing something here and there or going out for dinner after setting up the trailer is likely what I'll do.

Many thanks again for all the thoughts and recommendations.  Would not, could not be doing this without the forum's help.

Linda

Download the Allstays app on your phone or tablet. It is no longer updated (only the website is now kept up to date) but you can easily find campsites on the go. I-80 in Nebraska and Iowa have lots of state, county, and city campgrounds along the interstate not far off the exits. Private campgrounds will be more likely to be closer to the interchanges and more likely to have pull thrus, which are nice for a quick overnight, but will cost more.

Use tow/haul switch, and leave it in T/H, trans will automatically lock the converter and downshift when you tap the brakes. Let the trans and engine do the braking for you.  Make doubly sure the trailer hitch is correctly set up and adjusted. Also make sure you have the needed 12-13 percent tongue weight.

Charles

CharlesinGA said:
Download the Allstays app on your phone or tablet. It is no longer updated (only the website is now kept up to date) but you can easily find campsites on the go....
Charles
The Apple version is updated regularly. It is just the Android version that isn?t updated anymore.

CharlesinGA said:
Download the Allstays app on your phone or tablet. It is no longer updated (only the website is now kept up to date) but you can easily find campsites on the go.

Hello Charles,  Thank you for the safe driving reminders.  There will be ups and downs and the truck is built to handle them, so hopefully I'll remember to use the technology.

I did want to mention that the Allstays app for Android, which is my platform, has not been available for download for over a year.  So I missed getting it.  I am going to get the desktop version (if still available) for when I'm full time, just haven't done so yet.

But, i have 5-6 other camp finders that I have heavily perused and it looks like there are many options  - especially as you said in Iowa and Nebraska.  Between a Wal-Mart or cabelas here or there, county, state and feds, and private, I should be good.  Just hope the Spring tornadoes stay waaaaaayyyyy down south this year if they occur.

Back
Top Bottom