Rheumatoid Arthritis and where to live

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ClickHill

I have a question for anyone on this site who has RA.
I live in Virginia and have RA. I have had it since I was 8 years old. The weather swings here can be awful, and can put me into a flare for long, painful periods of time.
The question is, has anyone lived in an area of the country like Virginia and had to move because of their RA?
If you have, have you found an area of the counrty that is less volitale weather wise, and has brought you relief?
I love the Commonwealth of Virginia, and how beautiful it, but living here is getting harder to handle during season changes, and high humidity times in the summer.

I'm jumping into your post so I can follow along for any insightful information.  My wife has extreme RA.  Her #s go off the charts and her new RA doctor cannot believe her test results. I think our long-term plan will be to chase fair weather, hot springs and pray for remission and medical advances as the biologics are failing.  I hope you find the right answer...

It wasn?t me, but I had a pastor who moved to oklahoma from Ohio due to his wife?s RA. Of course Oklahoma can be miserably hot with a dry wind that never stops in the summer (I grew up there). Some friends of my dad moved from Illinois to Arizona for arthritis relief, though both of them were the lizard types who soak up even the incredibly hot temperatures in Tucson in the summer.

Move south west.  Hot dry climate generadlly makes a person feel better.  You currently live as you already know a high humidity area which caues all sorts of havoc with people with RA.

Sorry I cant help with where to live since I live in Florida and the humidity is on the high side every day but I would like to mention one drug that was discovered by accident.  CellCept? (mycophenolate mofetil) was given to me for transplant rejection and is an immunosuppressant but but it has controlled my RA.  Prior to being put on cellcept no amount of pain relievers would stop the pain enough for me to get an relief, since then I rarely if ever think about it.  Just a thought in case you might be interested.

Hi Clickhill,

A number of people move to Arizona as the climate there is helpful to RA. It would be hot in the south so perhaps moving somewhere the weather is in between would help. Like Catblaster's suggestion.

8Muddypaws said:
Anybody live in the Prescott area?

We live on the east side of the mountain from Prescott at Camp Verde in the Verde Valley.

Prescott is about 5000 ft and the Verde Valley is about 3200 ft. Prescott will get some snow. We very seldom get any. Dry and HOT in the summer. Cool and dry in the winter.

Back
Top Bottom