AC Front/Back Switch Problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

calirambler

I've got an AC Front/Back/Off switch in my RV for picking which AC you want to use with shore power. Both AC's can be run with the generator on.  Usually the switch has no effect when running the generator. All of the sudden, it is having an effect. So now when I run the generator only 1 AC will be active at a time.  Any idea what the issue might be?

Welcome to the forum. Sounds like the switch is working the way it's suppose to.  Hopefully someone else will have more input.
It may help later on if you go into your profile and create a signature of yourself telling us a little bit about you.

As I recall from some manuals I"ve read if you have such a switch it should be set to FRONT (or both) for generator use.. I THINK Front.. however this may vary.

The Generator is a 50 anp box 30 amps (on a 30 amp RV) goes to the main power panel and from there to the FRONT A/C but when the trnasfer switch goes CLUNK the rear A/C is connected directly to the 20 amp breaker on the Generator. Not via the distribution panel.

John From Detroit said:
As I recall from some manuals I"ve read if you have such a switch it should be set to FRONT (or both) for generator use.. I THINK Front.. however this may vary.

The Generator is a 50 anp box 30 amps (on a 30 amp RV) goes to the main power panel and from there to the FRONT A/C but when the trnasfer switch goes CLUNK the rear A/C is connected directly to the 20 amp breaker on the Generator. Not via the distribution panel.

I've got a '93 Holiday Rambler Endeavor. This is not the way my switch works.  It's got Front, Back, and Off. No "Both" choice.  In the past, this switch has been bypassed automatically when using the generator or at least it appears to be that way. Previously it didn't matter where the switch was set when the generator was on, both AC's would run at the same time. I'm guessing the switch itself is not the issue.

Does other AC required items work with the generator when you are testing the ACs?? If not it could be the automatic transfer switch which will normally prioritize the generator.>>>Dan

In most such systems the rear a/c will receive power directly when the genset is running, and the manual select switch stays set on "front". Sometimes the switching is smart enough that the manual can be on front or back and the genset power will flow to both.

As others have said, your genset produces two outputs, one 30A that is the equivalent of the shore cord and powers the main power panel, and a secondary 20A that feeds into a dedicated a/c circuit.  First check the breakers on the genset itself - the 20A breaker may have tripped.  If that's not it, I'm guessing the relay that activates that dedicated alternate circuit to the rear a/c  has failed.  It is part of the automatic power transfer mechanism, but I don't know enough about your coach to pinpoint where to find it. Start looking where the shore power cord and genset power cord meet up

Back
Top Bottom