Fuel Milage??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hillbilly

I am still deciding on what type of unit t purchase maybe this will help .

I noticed on the internet a nice 25 foot 1990 travelmaster Class C ford with a 460 gas burner and about 44k on it. The interior has been redone and looks really nice. The exterior is al little worn but not bad for a 17 year old unit. I know it is not an exact science but about what can I expect to get as far as fuel milage.
The price is 6,000 is this a bad price? I am wondering why the owner totally redone the interior and turned around and selling it for 6,000. Could some major problems exist for this price.??

If I have a 2004 F 150 and currently get about 17-18 mpg. If I pull a 4000 pound camper, what could I expect to get mpg??

Any help is greatly appreciated and I am new to the RV world :-[.

I agree with Carl's estimates, that's in the range I get with my Dodge 1500 pulling 6000 lb TT.

Would you say about 10mpg with the motorhome too?
Does the motorhome deal smell fishy?? here is the link to the Class C
http://www.rvtrader.com/rvdetail1328473.htm

Are those the before of after pictures?  If you look at the kitchen photo, you can see the edge trim on the counter is falling off.  It's possible that could be from water damage.  I would look long & hard at this one in person before going any further on it.

Don;'t bet on getting much over 8 mpg on the Class C  if that. Depends on the unit and the Driver along with conditions. All variables.  Do you know the age on the Tires of this C  BTW I think Tourmaster was part of Shasta I think.  I might be wrong on that tho.  Been too long ago. Make sure you read the Library on what to look for in buying a used unit and check it over thoroughly and completely,  Should it check out OK you and it's what you want you might offer 4200 or so  What can he do but say yes or no  but its a starting place.  If you use one of the pricing guides DO NOT ad for extras like A/C, awning, Furnace  That's all included in their figures.  JMHO

Old gent years ago told me "If you have to ask about mileage for an RV, you can't afford to own one."  I think he's right/.

Shayne said:
Old gent years ago told me "If you have to ask about mileage for an RV, you can't afford to own one."  I think he's right/.

It's another performance data point, just like all the rest.  It is useful to many of us. 

We had a 1987 24-foot class C. Got 6-10 mpg, averaged around 7 mpg. We sold it 2 years ago for $5000. It had over 100,000 miles on it but had been well maintained. Never had to redo the interior, no delaminating, did have some water damage up at the front on the overhead bunk (be sure to look under the overhead mattress and around that front window). $6000 sounds high to me for a 1990.

Shayne said:

I disagree. We pay attention to fuel mileage so that we can continue to RV. Better fuel mileage, we can go further afield, lower mileage we stay closer to home. But we don't stop RVing, we just adjust.

Your right to disagree but when it's too high and you can't afford it, it makes sense.

Shayne, I understand what you are saying. But I do not buy a pack of gum without checking figures. I never asked if anyone thought if I could afford it or not. I was just checking on figures.

I appreciate everyone elses opinion. I am a biginner and just checking possibilities. For my uses I think I might be better off with a TT. :)

That's highly possible if you already own a Truck capable of towing.  But on older units it would be very unusual to get more the 6 to 8 miles per gal.  regardless of what some may say, in order to sell a unit. Our previous unit got between 6 and 8 with exception of 1 trip not towing anything and holding speeds to 55mph and primarily flat ground we did manage 9.2, but that was for only 660 miles. and 1 time.  The unit we have now with my Trailer averages 6.8.  Hoping to raise that by eliminating the trailer and towing a Jeep 4 wheels down.  Hope to get about 7.4, but who knows.  I wasn't trying to pop off to you , just quoting an old gents thoughts. and with todays prices, it becomes more truthful than ever.  Many will have to travel less and stay longer than we ever have.  JMHO  Then again,  it doesn't matter to me if anyone agrees or not that's their choice.    You asked and I answered, simple as that.

Shayne said:
That's highly possible if you already own a Truck capable of towing.

I think this is the most important aspect of your decision, Hillbilly (nice name by the way).  :)  You've already got the truck, so go for a TT unless you really prefer MH's for some other reason.  The fuel mileage will probably be a bit better with the TT, plus you can get a newer trailer for $6000.  Although I don't think that's a bad price for that '90, especially since it says "Negotiable" next to the figure.  Definitely check out in great detail before talking price though.

If you are RVing, you can forget fuel mleage.............It becomes an oximoron...............Just enjoy the trip

On a 300 mile a day cross country trip, the difference between 7 mpg and 10 mpg is $51/day with gas at $4/gallon.  AT $3/gallon, $39/day difference. To me, that's a significant amount.  it's enough to pay for the campgrounds and would make my trip more enjoyable.

In some ways I have to agree with Shayne about gas mileage.  It is a given that mileage will be down with just about any RV configuration.  I think we are entering a new age of RVing in that fuel prices are higher than they have ever been and that the oil companies are just getting started.  The way we do things and travel has to have an impact on many folks.  Two miles per gallon additional suddenly becomes an issue.  On the other hand if you cant' pay you can't play.  IMHO we just may be asking the question about mpg in the near future more than ever before.  Just some thoughts...Phil

I just take everything in consideration. I have been told I take it to the extreme... Thanks for the information.

Back
Top Bottom